Voltmeter tie in?

• HTML tutorial

JBiowa

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Iowa
Member #

Hey guys I am looking at installing a volt meter and was looking for a good source to tie into. Any suggestions
14 JKU

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Are you wanting to measure battery voltage from inside the cab?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
some will easily plug into your cigarette lighter. direct off the battery is best but not always necessary.
That depends on what he's trying to measure. If he wants to know alternator output voltage, then that's as good a place as any. If he wants to know the kind of voltage being supplied to his accessories, such as radio, acc plug, or other interior do-dads, it should be tied into the interior fuse panel. Since the fuse panel is generally fed with a single large conductor wire (smallest mauf can justify) and is used by so much in the vehicle, you can tell if you are getting a big voltage drop because of added accessories inside.

It may be useful to have multiple feeds, (battery, OEM fuse block, AUX fuse block, ect) all selected by a switch. Then you can select which area you want to monitor voltage in. As always, use fuses at the source of each of your feeds and remember that the longer the run, the less voltage will be available at the meter due to voltage drop across the wire. Not that big a deal, IIRC, because the volt meter is such a small load, but just something to keep in mind.

Reactions: Rexplorer

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

That depends on what he's trying to measure. If he wants to know alternator output voltage, then that's as good a place as any. If he wants to know the kind of voltage being supplied to his accessories, such as radio, acc plug, or other interior do-dads, it should be tied into the interior fuse panel. Since the fuse panel is generally fed with a single large conductor wire (smallest mauf can justify) and is used by so much in the vehicle, you can tell if you are getting a big voltage drop because of added accessories inside.

It may be useful to have multiple feeds, (battery, OEM fuse block, AUX fuse block, ect) all selected by a switch. Then you can select which area you want to monitor voltage in. As always, use fuses at the source of each of your feeds and remember that the longer the run, the less voltage will be available at the meter due to voltage drop across the wire. Not that big a deal, IIRC, because the volt meter is such a small load, but just something to keep in mind.
All this is very true. I figured the basic way the question was asked, they just needed a quick read out.

Reactions: TerryD