Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Was able to get in the shop tonight for a few hours. Prepped the top for more work tomorrow. Was able to paint the inside rails back (which is standard at CCV) insulated & wired the top as well, also cut the hole for the max air fan.

Insulation is thermozite that has both great insulation properties as well as sound deadening properties. A fiberglass top is like a drum, if you don’t insulate & sound deaden well then you get lots of road noise when driving…

Tomorrow I’ll get the cedar ceiling in & tweed installed on the sides. Plus wire in the LED lights in to the cedar ceiling, raptor line the out side of the top & probably mount the frame to the van.

Sunday I should be able to get the top bolted to the frame & built the wiring harness for the pop top. Canvas will have to happen at a later date (weekend of the 4,5,6.)

Attachments

Last edited:

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Was able to make more progress on the top on Saturday. Still need to mineral oil & bees wax the pine ceiling but that will be at a later date. Today I cut the hole in the roof, Mount the frame & then mount the top.

Attachments

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

More progress on Vinnie. It was a busy weekend, & solo as usual in regards to the build. Glad to have gotten to this point. The pop to is the biggest part of the build that had to be done in a weekend. Everything else can be done & even left partially done & I can get to it when I want to… the plan is knock out something every weekend till done.

Attachments

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

More shots from the weekend. The pop top has 56” of head room. To me the only pop top worth putting on a van is one by CCV. I have removed move than 100 Sportsmobile pop tops & installed CCV tops as an up grade, in the last 5 years. Why? CCV only offers an electric pop top, no manual, widest & longest sleeping area, plus the most robust frame & lift mechanism in the industry…

Attachments

AbundanceNaught

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Irvine, California, United States
First Name
Garret
Last Name
Onufer
I'm so jealous. The top is a little tall for my liking but I wish i could make my van look similar to this at some point. right now she's essentially stock with a roof rack and some lights.
Just built a bed platform that is removable (posted in DIY section). But not at a point to go all out yet.

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

I'm so jealous. The top is a little tall for my liking but I wish i could make my van look similar to this at some point. right now she's essentially stock with a roof rack and some lights.
Just built a bed platform that is removable (posted in DIY section). But not at a point to go all out yet.
Thanks. I went back & forth on this… as I could have gone with a lower top. But in the end I couldn’t leave the drivers seat & stand up. This is a big requirement for both myself & wife when it comes to vans.

Your taking the right approach with your van. Take time & small steps. I’ve seen so many people just jump in & build something they don’t really need or change this up & waist $ because it didn’t fit their needs. Heck my first van was an insulated cargo van with two hangers to clip a hammock to, a cooler & stove. Honestly the best van I ever built. Minimalism wins.

Reactions: AbundanceNaught

AbundanceNaught

Rank II

Enthusiast III

First Name
Garret
Last Name
Onufer
I do love me some hammock life.
The lady likes a real mattress, so we haul our queen from the house when we go camping.
Currently I don't want to compromise the capabilities of the van, but i can see in the next few years temporary builds may become more permanent.
I don't know if I'll ever get to a lift and 4x4 setup. The cost is out of my range, and i'd be constantly worried about something breaking, and the cost of repairs.
That said, I would love to make my van look less like an airport shuttle.

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

I do love me some hammock life.
The lady likes a real mattress, so we haul our queen from the house when we go camping.
Currently I don't want to compromise the capabilities of the van, but i can see in the next few years temporary builds may become more permanent.
I don't know if I'll ever get to a lift and 4x4 setup. The cost is out of my range, and i'd be constantly worried about something breaking, and the cost of repairs.
That said, I would love to make my van look less like an airport shuttle.
Look into weldtek designs they can do what they call a grocery getter lift for 2wd for the Chevy/gmc vans. You can go up to 35” tires & at some point Putin a rear locker. Cost is way less than a 4x4 conversion & is pretty functional. It super popular down in Cali for lots of rigs that go down to Baja.

Reactions: AbundanceNaught

AbundanceNaught

Rank II

Enthusiast III

First Name
Garret
Last Name
Onufer
Look into weldtek designs they can do what they call a grocery getter lift for 2wd for the Chevy/gmc vans. You can go up to 35” tires & at some point Putin a rear locker. Cost is way less than a 4x4 conversion & is pretty functional. It super popular down in Cali for lots of rigs that go down to Baja.
I saw that. Definitely something to consider when i can free up $3k. currently paying off a bunch of debts so that i can have some disposable funds.

Reactions: MSD

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Well things with Vinnie are progressing fairly well, maybe not as fast as I’d like but I’m still happy with the out come…

Saturday - I spent about 4 hrs doing what we call a bump out. What happens in certain occasions is the actuators pull & push to hard when fully close & twists the top, so that it doesn’t fit square on the van.

The top was about 1” off on the passenger side at the rain gutter & the same on the rear driver side. So I undid the actuator bolts that hold it to the lift frame & used a racket strap to pull the top to the left at the front, and right at the rear. One I was able to get it where I wanted it I re- torque the bolts & all is good. Unfortunately no photos.

Once the top was straight I installed the warning brackets so I could mount a Fiama F45 (10x10) awning. It’ll be nice to have a big shady spot when we need it. This is a lot bigger than the 8x8 ARB awning we have on our other van. Down side it’s fairly heavy my guess 65 lbs. Brackets a pretty strong but I’m a little worried about how they’ll hold up… only time will tell.

Attachments

Last edited:

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Sunday was canvas day. Should have some better shots later in the week. It’s been a while since I’d installed a canvas, I forgot a few things but remembered them before I made any major mistakes… in the end it just took a little long than it used to, but doesn’t it always.

Attachments

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Friday night in the shop. Not much happened this evening. Outside it’s snowing… again but nice & toasty in the shop.

Ended up installing the bed boards (no cushions yet) the rear bed panel is fixed & 54” wide X 22” the next three bed boards all removable are 54x20 so the bed is 82 X 54. I only took a picture of 3 of the 4 bed panels installed. Plus a couple shots of putting on the tweed. The bead boards are made out of 3/4 plywood with c channel edge caps to make them super stiff. Then covered in tweed.

Attachments

Last edited: