[VIDEO] Driving Into A Mine

• HTML tutorial

HighSierraOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fresno, CA
Member #

For those of you who don't know, over on the Eastern Sierra, a few miles North of Mt. Whitney there is a small area known as Reward, which is home to the Reward Mine, which you can drive about 1/4 mile deep into. The mine opened in 1860 and produced gold, copper, lead, and silver up until it closed around the 1980's. It's apparently still privately mined from time to time, hence why it's open.

There are areas you can walk into to explore further, and a few you can driver further into, but beyond the 1/4 mile mark you'll have to back up however far you go in as there aren't spaces to turn around.

If you are lifted and have things like roof racks and LED bars, you risk hitting the top.

Last edited:

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
A tall Jeep will fit, but most anything on top of a rig will get ripped off.

This is fun to drive through, everyone should experience what total darkness is at some point. It can be un-nerving if you've never had your eyes completely not adjust to that kind of darkness.

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
It's nice to see that it is still open, I read something a few months ago about it being closed up soon.

HighSierraOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fresno, CA
Member #

It's nice to see that it is still open, I read something a few months ago about it being closed up soon.
Interesting. Glad I decided to do it then if they're thinking about closing it. I thought it was still mined privately? Perhaps they want to close it off to people?