Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I'm looking at the 300p or the 400p. I don't see much of a difference in performance stats on Viair's website. I'm leaning toward the 400p, but if the 300p isn't much different, then why waste money for the higher number? BTW, my nearly 10 year old cheapo Slime bit the dust.. It just wouldn't pump any more than 26 lbs and took nearly 10 minutes per tire to get that..... 2 hours to pump up, then paid 75 cents x 2 to finish airing up at a gas station.... any thoughts?

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I've got a 450p. It's really nice, but im sure the other models would work great also. I do like that I can run the thing for basically ever without cooldown, but ya... its got a nice plate/stand on it.

Unless you are filling really large tires, you can probably get by with either of them.

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

I was looking at compressors last year at ARB, Smittybilt, and Viair.
I was rather disappointed with the Viair 400p. (my buddy bought one), I waited. I was glad I did.
I decided on the Smittybuilt 2781.

its CFM rate (5.65 CFM) is twice what the Viair is, and we had a contest to fill a 31" tire.
Mine won. only took about 2 minutes to fill. viair was still huffing away, but it did a good job, just took longer.
I love my Smittybilt. hasn't let me down yet. nice guy price too....im not saying Viair is bad, just slower. oh, and ARB was out of my price range at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: shoredreamer

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I wanted the 450p since it's 100% duty cycle, but settled on this https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9357343/01036. Got it with a 30% online purchase. Does a good job and is oil-less. Run time is 40 minutes with 20 minutes cool down time. Viair is nice, but for the money and the amount I use mine, it wasn't worth it. I've heard others say good things about the Smittybilt that NorthStar96 mentioned as well. Viair has a great reputation and I'm sure they are phenomenal.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
OK,,, I got the 400p and used it for the first time yesterday. I am impressed. I didnt put a stop watch on it, but i walked away to chat with a buddy, and came back after only a couple of minutes and it aired up to 40 lbs from 18 in a very short time, very short time.. I had to let air out to get it down to 36psi. The remaining three tires took less than 10 minutes total 18 to 36, and that was with me fumbling around and BSing a bit.... Only one problem. The Bar/Lbs dial is backwards, when the dial reads that I have 3.6 bar it is actually 36 lbs.. Not a big deal, just something I figured out quickly as the initial reading on the first tire said I had 40lbs. I checked it and it was 18lbs, which the gauge was reading as 18 bar... overall, I'd buy the 400p again..

Reactions: shoredreamer