Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Holloway
Member #

Yet another of my lockdown projects is complete. Between coats of paint on my new rear bumper Iwas working off & on on installing the onboard air system. The components were installed here & there and Ifinally got it all hooked up & working yesterday.

The 450C compressor (150psi & 100% duty cycle) went intot he driver's side storage cubby in the bed, and I routed the remote air filter for the compressor out of the way in the little storage pocket above the driver's side rear wheelwell. The supplied ViAir filter was kinda flimsy & broke during installation so I used a mini cone type automotive filter & a barbed bulkhead fitting to fabricate a new (and I think better) one. The 2.5 gallon tank tucked nicely out of the way into the area where the spare tire used to live and during the bumper build I added in the tank pressure gauge and quick disconnect into the bumper. The switch was a plain-jane so I put a nicer one in the dash that matches my light switches.

My only complaint is that even though it's billed as a "Universal" kit and "comes with everything needed to install the kit" I still had to buy some extra fittings because the compressor is not mounted within a foot of the tank and some extra wire because the kit doesn't include the relay to dash switch wiring or connectors.

While it seems complicated it's a system that anyone with basic tools & automotive mechanical & wiring knowledge can handle and I would recommend it.
KIMG1185.JPGKIMG1183.JPGKIMG1184.JPGKIMG1186.JPGKIMG1188 (1).JPGKIMG1180.JPG

I am very happy with the final outcome.

(And yes, since this install was done during lockdown, it got a "Biohazard" decal too (they came in a 2-pack, lol)

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
Nice job! I have the same compressor mounted under my hood. I need to plumb it through the front bumper and wire a switch into the cab.

Reactions: John~SWNM

John~SWNM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
Holloway
Member #

Nice job! I have the same compressor mounted under my hood. I need to plumb it through the front bumper and wire a switch into the cab.
I considered under the hood but there really wasn't a space available that I liked so Iwent witht he rear cubbyhole, which Idont use anyway except to stash a handful of bungee cords.

As noisy as the compressor is I don't see how people mount them in the cab behind the back seat......

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

I had an AccuAir suspension on my old 2016 Audi SQ5. Seeing this post makes me realize that I shouldn't have sold my two 400C's and 4-gallon tank.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Yet another of my lockdown projects is complete. Between coats of paint on my new rear bumper Iwas working off & on on installing the onboard air system. The components were installed here & there and Ifinally got it all hooked up & working yesterday.

The 450C compressor (150psi & 100% duty cycle) went intot he driver's side storage cubby in the bed, and I routed the remote air filter for the compressor out of the way in the little storage pocket above the driver's side rear wheelwell. The supplied ViAir filter was kinda flimsy & broke during installation so I used a mini cone type automotive filter & a barbed bulkhead fitting to fabricate a new (and I think better) one. The 2.5 gallon tank tucked nicely out of the way into the area where the spare tire used to live and during the bumper build I added in the tank pressure gauge and quick disconnect into the bumper. The switch was a plain-jane so I put a nicer one in the dash that matches my light switches.

My only complaint is that even though it's billed as a "Universal" kit and "comes with everything needed to install the kit" I still had to buy some extra fittings because the compressor is not mounted within a foot of the tank and some extra wire because the kit doesn't include the relay to dash switch wiring or connectors.

While it seems complicated it's a system that anyone with basic tools & automotive mechanical & wiring knowledge can handle and I would recommend it.
View attachment 153007View attachment 153008View attachment 153009View attachment 153010View attachment 153011View attachment 153012

I am very happy with the final outcome.

(And yes, since this install was done during lockdown, it got a "Biohazard" decal too (they came in a 2-pack, lol)
Very nice job! I really like the coupler and gauge placement! That's the system that I'm looking into...just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Very nice job! I really like the coupler and gauge placement! That's the system that I'm looking into...just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.
I'd love to know the comparison between the ViAir and, say, the ARB Dual compressor for max psi and speed of fill...My tires run at 80 psi when I'm all loaded up, and I haven't found a good place that battles the two against each other. Again, looks really good!

John~SWNM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
Holloway
Member #

I'd love to know the comparison between the ViAir and, say, the ARB Dual compressor for max psi and speed of fill...My tires run at 80 psi when I'm all loaded up, and I haven't found a good place that battles the two against each other. Again, looks really good!
Yeah, this is my first experience with OBA, I ran a homemade "powertank" Co2 system in my CJ-5 for decades. This compressor puts out some power and witht he tank air-up's go pretty fast.