Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
EDIT

Thanks to several members who have replied, but I’m not ruminating on air bags, I have a specific question I have asked below.

Thanks

My Tacoma has definite rear-end sag at full Overlanding load so I have added a nice Firestone air bag system.

- What loaded ride height should I be looking for?

I think my best measurement reference point is axle to fender?

Should I try to keep the loaded height the same as on an empty load at five pounds airbag pressure? (The minimum inflation.)

Should I try to keep the loaded height about where it is when I’ve got some weight in, say 500 pounds (or other amount as you may suggest), thinking that a stock truck suspension is optimized for carrying a load?

Do I give myself maybe an inch of extra height from “baseline” to improve my off-road clearance?

Or am I thinking about this all wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited:

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Most trucks come from the factory with a bit of a rake. The front is lower than the rear. This is assuming that when the truck is being used as a truck either hauling or towing, the truck would sit level. That is where you’ll get your best handeling and best performance.

I would say take a fender to ground measurement. This way, you take out every variable except your body to ground measurement. This is all assume that the tires might bulge outwords more with more weight. Putting the rear of the body closer to the ground.

Body to ground measurements and body to axle measurements will probably be very close though

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: RedRob

Mustdoug

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Troy IL. (outside St.Louis Mo)
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Johnson
I have a 2015 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x that I had the same issue. I was using it for overlanding and for work. Added a camper shell and bed slide out. Just that alone made a bit of a sag. Loaded down for overlanding made it an uneasy drive. I bought some firestone airbags which totally made the difference. The cool thing is that the same airbag can be used for up to a 2.5” lift. I did not for all the air compressor and in the cab controls . Mine were all paid to a common Schrader valve that I located on the rear bumper. He was definitely something I’m glad I did. Was well worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

9A45E801-BC01-4A0C-A4DB-1FAA49FE71D5.jpeg I installed the air lift system on my truck years ago. When I designed the interior I put all the heavy pieces across the rear axle including 2 group 31 AGM batteries. I also have a Yamaha scooter and a small boat I trailer that really loads down the rear of the truck. What is nice I can adjust the lift to the optional camping package for that specific trip. Fully loaded I will put 75-80 lbs to keep the truck level. Great product.

obrianmcc

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Idaho
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McCrosky
Member #

My Frontier Pro4 X stock had a 1/2" of rake between the front/back ... any load at all would effect the trucks handling and steering. I added a 2" lift and a set of the Ride-Rite Airbags ... I like the versatility of being able to adjust per the load weight. These trucks have under sprung rear suspension IMO, which still causes a bid a wander... especially in on road windy conditions (tail wagging the dog). The only thing that I think will remedy this is a rear sway bar.

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
Like deflating tires... Until it looks right! It ain't rocket appliances so put your tape measure away! [emoji13]
I believe you are correct!

Reactions: Kelso