• HTML tutorial

GeorgiaandherJeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norwalk, CT
Member #

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip up to Vermont in early May and was looking for some ideas, advice, feedback, etc. I will crashing at a buddy's place in Wilmington on Thursday night, then have some buddies that will be coming up Friday to meet up. The other guys will be in stock 4x4 (Grand Cherokee and Nissan Frontier) so I am not looking to do anything crazy but would like to get off the beaten path and find some remote camping. I have found a lot of forest roads through the Green Mountain National Forest and was thinking we could make our way North using those, but was hoping someone out there might have a suggestion for a great spot or something. Any info would be appreciated. Also, if anyone would like to join I would be more than happy to meet up, it would be fun to meet some other OB members in person on the trails.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: QCrunner

GeorgiaandherJeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norwalk, CT
Member #

@Chocs

Nice to see another CT guy here! Where are you?

The plan right now is to meet up somewhere in Vermont on Friday the 12th but I may go up Thursday afternoon and crash at a friends place so I can have all day Friday to chill and find us a good camping spot. Most of the other guys can't come up until Friday afternoon.

Vtpeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vermont
Member #

Hi CT Overlanders. I realize this is an old post, but if you are planning to head to Vermont again I can help with camping. We have a forest property in Windham that has plenty of space to park and camp. Let me know a few days in advance , and we'll be ready for you. This is not a commercial campground, just a really great place to relax around the campfire . Have fun !!

Vtpeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vermont
Member #

Oops! Forgot to add to the last post. Anyone traveling through southern Vermont and needing a place to camp, or just stop and say "hi", find us here. Petescampvt. com. Or search Pete's Camp Vermont. We are also on ¡Overlander. Looking forward to meeting some of you this summer !!

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Hi CT Overlanders. I realize this is an old post, but if you are planning to head to Vermont again I can help with camping. We have a forest property in Windham that has plenty of space to park and camp. Let me know a few days in advance , and we'll be ready for you. This is not a commercial campground, just a really great place to relax around the campfire . Have fun !!
How are the trails in that area?

Vtpeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vermont
Member #

Hi Chris. There are some trails in the area. We do most of our exploring on class 4 town roads. These are legal trails that are on most DOT maps. My camp is on the "Puppy Dog Trail", which is a north/ south route through VT. I don't know much about this route. Actually, I just found out about it a few weeks ago. I was wondering why I saw so many overlanding type vehicles passing by the camp. What a coincidence !!! Hopefully some of these travelers stop by to camp, or just to say hi. LOTS of adventure style motorcycles seem to pass by also. Some of these riders have pulled in and had lunch with us. They must of smelled lunch cooking !

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Hi Chris. There are some trails in the area. We do most of our exploring on class 4 town roads. These are legal trails that are on most DOT maps. My camp is on the "Puppy Dog Trail", which is a north/ south route through VT. I don't know much about this route. Actually, I just found out about it a few weeks ago. I was wondering why I saw so many overlanding type vehicles passing by the camp. What a coincidence !!! Hopefully some of these travelers stop by to camp, or just to say hi. LOTS of adventure style motorcycles seem to pass by also. Some of these riders have pulled in and had lunch with us. They must of smelled lunch cooking !
We talked about doing the puppy dog route last fall but ended up not doing it cause there wasn't any camping. lol Good to know you are right along that route.

QCrunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Charlotte, NC
Member #

We're headed up next week from North Carolina. We'll definitely plan to reach out. Thanks for the tips!

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Anyone know how long the puppy down route takes? I’m traveling from southern New York to the nh Canada border. It would be nice to take this route on my way there

kudra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ohio, NY
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO2BFG
What is this Puppy Dog Route and where does it go? I am thinking about going to Pete's Camp next week. See my thread about this.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
What is this Puppy Dog Route and where does it go? I am thinking about going to Pete's Camp next week. See my thread about this.
It’s a route that goes from northern mass to northern Vermont. I don’t know what type of terrain it is. I’m assuming it’s a lot of dirt roads and maybe some trails as you get north

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
It’s a route that goes from northern mass to northern Vermont. I don’t know what type of terrain it is. I’m assuming it’s a lot of dirt roads and maybe some trails as you get north

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

I've done most of the Puppy Dog on a dual sport motorcycle. It is very scenic in a Vermont kind of way. Beautiful farms and very green. My estimate is its 60% pavement and the dirt portions can be done in a minivan.

QCrunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Charlotte, NC
Member #

We're headed up next week from North Carolina. We'll definitely plan to reach out. Thanks for the tips!
We camped 1 nite at Petescampvt mentioned above during our route thru Vermont, and I highly recommend. Pete was very welcoming and his property was great with lots of space to spread out. We definitely plan to make it a regular stop for our annual travels to NE. Thanks for contributing your space to the community @Vtpeter and can't wait to see how it comes along in the future.

-Ron

Last edited:
Reactions: vtrover

WanderRig

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nashville, TN
Member #

Oops! Forgot to add to the last post. Anyone traveling through southern Vermont and needing a place to camp, or just stop and say "hi", find us here. Petescampvt. com. Or search Pete's Camp Vermont. We are also on ¡Overlander. Looking forward to meeting some of you this summer !!
Hi VtPeter... my wife, son and granddaughter will be traveling from Tennessee up through Vermont over the weekend, and I just stumbled upon this thread. I need to study more closely our route, but I wanted to introduce myself, and learn if we might be able to stop over for a night at your place. It sounds terrific. If you could please let me know, I would appreciate it very much.

Reactions: vtrover