Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
A couple of months ago, I was on a trip and one of the guys I camped with had added some extra venting and a couple of small fans to his fridge enclosure. He had said his fridge would overheat on hot days while it was put away (slide's out the side like mine will). His was a bought trailer from one of the better companies (don't remember which). The ventilation they installed wasn't enough so he modded it. Now he has no issues.
I remembered this as I was building my cabinets, shelves and enclosures on my new trailer today.
Mine is mounted in the very rear of my trailer and will slide out the passenger side.
Looking for idea's for fans and/or vents.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

A couple of months ago, I was on a trip and one of the guys I camped with had added some extra venting and a couple of small fans to his fridge enclosure. He had said his fridge would overheat on hot days while it was put away (slide's out the side like mine will). His was a bought trailer from one of the better companies (don't remember which). The ventilation they installed wasn't enough so he modded it. Now he has no issues.
I remembered this as I was building my cabinets, shelves and enclosures on my new trailer today.
Mine is mounted in the very rear of my trailer and will slide out the passenger side.
Looking for idea's for fans and/or vents.
Not sure how large the existing vents are but you could use 12v 80 - 120mm computer fans and mount those over the vents to help either push cool air in or pull warm air out.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Not sure how large the existing vents are but you could use 12v 80 - 120mm computer fans and mount those over the vents to help either push cool air in or pull warm air out.
Thanks Brett
Its a new build so now is the time to install things. I was thinking of the computer fans but didn't know how they would hold up to dust. Unless I can get something real good, that's the way i'm going to go.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

Thanks Brett
Its a new build so now is the time to install things. I was thinking of the computer fans but didn't know how they would hold up to dust. Unless I can get something real good, that's the way i'm going to go.
You can pick up some filters like the ones below that would allow you to filter some of the dust. They do restrict some airflow so you would want to find some computer fans that have a high static pressure like the ones they use in water-cooled PC radiators. Another idea would be to wire in a temp circuit to turn the fans on and off based on temp. Not sure how to do that but I know it can be done.
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: smritte

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I don't know anything about trailers, just spitwading here. What about using a larger fan (radiator fan?) and a air cleaner filter (flat) and having a positive air pressure inside the trailer. A positive air pressure would keep the dust from getting in to the trailer.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I don't know anything about trailers, just spitwading here. What about using a larger fan (radiator fan?) and a air cleaner filter (flat) and having a positive air pressure inside the trailer. A positive air pressure would keep the dust from getting in to the trailer.
Thanks for the thought.
The area in question is a rectangle box about 30x30x40. This enclosure houses my fridge. Looking for ideas to circulate air so the fridge doesn't overheat during high temperatures. This will only be an issue when the fridge is not pulled out. In my sig is my build thread and the last picture shows the fridge in the incomplete enclosure.
Not knowing anything about trailers doesn't mean your ideas aren't appreciated. I actually thought of pushing air from inside the trailer and venting it out the back of the fridge area. This would limit the amount of dust in there.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
You can pick up some filters like the ones below that would allow you to filter some of the dust. They do restrict some airflow so you would want to find some computer fans that have a high static pressure like the ones they use in water-cooled PC radiators. Another idea would be to wire in a temp circuit to turn the fans on and off based on temp. Not sure how to do that but I know it can be done.
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg
This had me searching vents, fans and filters this morning. A long time ago, I was in my buddy's trailer during a wind storm. The unfiltered vents were letting in enough powdered dust to make it hard to see.
Considering our deserts are always windy, some kind of air filter wont hurt here. This has me thinking about more than just a roof vent for the cabin itself.

Reactions: MMc

Greayghost

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado
First Name
Tim
Last Name
L
Member #

Fantastic Build,
I'm building a Small one out of a 5X8 enclosed trailer, I went with a bilge blower and a filter to pressurize the cabin to prevent dust buildup on the inside and hopefully help cool it. You could make your exit Vent next to the Fridge, I know the setup I'm running was relatively cheap but it moves a lot of air.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'm building a Small one out of a 5X8 enclosed trailer, I went with a bilge blower and a filter to pressurize the cabin to prevent dust buildup on the inside and hopefully help cool it. You could make your exit Vent next to the Fridge, I know the setup I'm running was relatively cheap but it moves a lot of air.
I've never seen these before. The ones that pop up in google are inline with 4" ducting. How did you set yours up and what type of filter did you use?