104 E Steenhoek St, Prairie City, IA, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Lipker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0PPJ
I’m looking to secure a couple of radios underneath the front seats without making holes. I thought I could simply use Velcro to do it. But, when I tested the hook half to the carpet, it didn’t stick. I went to my other vehicle, it didn’t stick to its carpet either. I’m not fond of using the sticky glue side of the Velcro to stick it to the carpet.

Does anyone know how to get Velcro hooks to stick to automotive carpet? Or, is there a similar alternative?

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I would make up a panel that can use existing hardware under the seat that you can stick the other half of the velcro to. Carpet will only hold the hook end of the velcro so much as you have discovered.

Reactions: Desert Runner

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Both of my vehicles I used velcro to mount the radios under the seat. My Cruiser is 1996 and it sticks very well. My Tacoma is 2019 and I had to grab the putty knife to unstick the velcro from the carpet. The Tacoma I mounted two remote speakers in front of the radio. One for my Ham and the other for the GMRS.
I used spray glue on the equipment to stick the velcro. I even use it to keep the radio and speaker wiring in place. I use the crap out of the two sided velcro for tying things together so I have some big coils of it.
Both have been in place for several years.

I got the idea when I dropped a piece on my carpet and had a hard time getting it loose. I hate drilling holes and mounting to the floor for several reasons so this works out great. The inside of my trailer uses outdoor carpet on the walls. I stick small bags to the walls.
I find it odd you have issues getting it to stick to the carpet. I have learned there's diffrent types of velcro hook, some grab harder then others. I realized this because I buy it in long coils. Research the diffrent holding capabilities and buy the most aggressive. The stuff is cheap. Worse case you will find it's great for holding tie down straps from flapping, grouping tent stakes, bundling about anything and of course what it was made for, grouping wires.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desert Runner

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Any possibility of mounting to the bottom of the seat? I have a ham radio speaker mounted to the seat adjuster "bar" and it works well, made a couple of brackets out of tin.

IMG_0589.jpeg