Vehicles Ranked on which are best for the economy...

• HTML tutorial

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Which Vehicles Benefit the U.S. Economy the Most?

One of the things vehicle owners have a tendency to mention from time to time is "Well my vehicle is More American Made than yours" and so on. This is at least something that is always on the back of my mind when purchasing anything these days due to my investment mindset I acquired many years ago.

I always wonder how much money is being shipped out of our economy when I make a purchase. Of course it is pretty much never ever clear. This still matters to me because every dollar that leaves our country is a dollar poorer we are as a nation.

(That being said, at the end of the day I would still get the one that is best suited for me and my needs.)

I found a resource that has ranked vehicles on which ones are best for the U.S. economy. The University of Washington put one together. If you look at it closely... you will see the same vehicles over and over on the list. Things like a different engine or transmission will make it climb or fall the list RAPIDLY based on configuration.

The top 10 on the list are dominated by GM, Ford, Fiat (Wrangler), and Honda.

Here is a list of trucks I made really quick... just because I LOVE trucks. lol

Chevy Colorado (gas and diesel) = 11
Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 = 18
Toyota Tacoma TRD OffRoad 4x4 = 47
Nissan Frontier = 56

For full sized pickups...

Ford F-150 = 3
Toyota Tundra = 14 and 24
Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 = 41

There is a search feature to quickly find your vehicle.

https://www.american.edu/kogod/research/autoindex/2018-autoindex.cfm

Last edited:
Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Very interesting. My ‘Made in Indiana’ long roof is 61st.

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Very interesting. My ‘Made in Indiana’ long roof is 61st.
I don't know exactly what data they used for the calculations. I did see something like a different transmission make some vehicles fall/climb pretty far on the list. Considering how many configurations/vehicle types are out there... that is not bad really.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I just looked @ the list again. This is how they ranked their score. It was hidden on the bottom...

HOW does the Index work?
The index uses seven points derived from publicly available data.

The components of the index are based on research into the economic value of different components of auto manufacturing that was done by the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor Michigan. For example, the highest ranked cars are made by U.S. based manufacturers using American engines and transmissions, and a with a high AALA percentage of U.S. and Canadian parts.

The seven criteria are as follows:

1. Profit Margin - This was measured based on the location of an automaker’s headquarters. If an automaker’s global headquarters is located in the US, the model receives a 6. If it is not, it receives a 0. The assumption here is that (on average), 6% of a vehicle’s value is profit margin, so if it is a U.S. automaker, the profits remain in the country.
  2. Labor - This category considers where the car is assembled. If a model is assembled in the US, it receives a 6. If not, the model receives a 0. We assume that approximately 6% of the vehicle’s value is labor content.
  3. Research and Development (R&D) - This category looks at the location of a car’s R&D activities. If the model is a product of a US company, it receives a 6. If it is the product of a foreign company but is assembled in the U.S. it receives a 3; if it is a foreign import it receives a 1.
  4. Inventory, Capital and other expenses - If assembly occurs in the US, the model receives an 11; if not, it receives a 0.
  5. Engine - If the engine is produced in the US, the model receives a 14; if not it receives a 0.
  6. Transmission - If the transmission is produced in the US, the model receives a 7; if not it receives a 0.
  7. Body, Chassis, and Electrical Components - 50 % of a vehicle’s score is assigned to this category. The AALA percentage is divided into two to derive this score.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
On a side note...

The more Overland Gear folks throw onto their vehicles the more American Made they tend to be!

I just thought of that and thought it was pretty good and had to share. lol Most of the big ticket items we buy are made here.

Reactions: Stepsride

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Many times I don't find these studies terribly meaningful aside from the philosophical argument about buying "American". Although, they are interesting to see the distribution of the product contents and I can't help but dive into these rankings.

In my opinion, buy from whoever makes the best product - it helps foster competition and better economic outcomes. If that's an "American" company then great. If that's a "Japanese" company then that's great too (or German, or Korean, etc.). What you don't want are monopolies or oligopolies - it's a recipe for sub-par and over-priced options.

Reactions: Arailt and great08

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Which Vehicles Benefit the U.S. Economy the Most?

One of the things vehicle owners have a tendency to mention from time to time is "Well my vehicle is More American Made than yours" and so on. This is at least something that is always on the back of my mind when purchasing anything these days due to my investment mindset I acquired many years ago.

I always wonder how much money is being shipped out of our economy when I make a purchase. Of course it is pretty much never ever clear. This still matters to me because every dollar that leaves our country is a dollar poorer we are as a nation.

(That being said, at the end of the day I would still get the one that is best suited for me and my needs.)

I found a resource that has ranked vehicles on which ones are best for the U.S. economy. The University of Washington put one together. If you look at it closely... you will see the same vehicles over and over on the list. Things like a different engine or transmission will make it climb or fall the list RAPIDLY based on configuration.

The top 10 on the list are dominated by GM, Ford, Fiat (Wrangler), and Honda.

Here is a list of trucks I made really quick... just because I LOVE trucks. lol

Chevy Colorado (gas and diesel) = 11
Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 = 18
Toyota Tacoma TRD OffRoad 4x4 = 47
Nissan Frontier = 56

For full sized pickups...

Ford F-150 = 3
Toyota Tundra = 14 and 24
Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 = 41

There is a search feature to quickly find your vehicle.

https://www.american.edu/kogod/research/autoindex/2018-autoindex.cfm
Would it be possible to use a darker font? I can barely see the writing to read what it had to say.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Would it be possible to use a darker font? I can barely see the writing to read what it had to say.
I changed the font to "Georgia" and slightly increased the font size for you. Does it look better? I can make it bigger...

I picked Georgia because that is where I was born & raised. lol

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Many times I don't find these studies terribly meaningful aside from the philosophical argument about buying "American". Although, they are interesting to see the distribution of the product contents and I can't help but dive into these rankings.

In my opinion, buy from whoever makes the best product - it helps foster competition and better economic outcomes. If that's an "American" company then great. If that's a "Japanese" company then that's great too (or German, or Korean, etc.). What you don't want are monopolies or oligopolies - it's a recipe for sub-par and over-priced options.

I agree about putting your money into what is the best product for you. I Love the whole free market ideology. More competition always benefits the consumer and... over time... mankind.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I changed the font to "Georgia" and slightly increased the font size for you. Does it look better? I can make it bigger...

I picked Georgia because that is where I was born & raised. lol
Now your font is in black. That works for me.

Reactions: great08