Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I thought it might be useful to go into specific tools for different vehicles in addition to general tools. Because often we notice that only when we do not have something with us on the road, that for one or another repair something special is required. So, I'll start with the Defender, because I know my way around there. In addition to my extensive standard tool kit, I carry the following tools for special jobs:

A metric socket with 52-mm width for the wheel bearing nuts. Here it is important that this is long enough inside to fit over the stub axle while still gripping properly.

Two 9/16-inch ring/ open end wrenches or better add the special prop shaft tool with 3/8 or ½ drive for loosening the prop shafts. Sometimes 14- or 15-mm metric wrenches are used if no imperial wrenches are available, but this is often not a good idea, because the bolt heads are quickly rounded and tightening with the prescribed torque becomes impossible.

27-mm metric socket for the wheel nuts.

Tools_Defender.jpg

A 3/8-inch ratchet with extension for opening and closing the filler bolts on the homokinetic joints. Here you can check if there is enough grease in it and refill if necessary. The 3/8-inch insert can also be used to relieve the fanbelt tensioner on the Tdci/ TD4/ Puma if, for example, the fanbelt needs to be replaced (on the TD5, as far as I know, this can be done with a 15-mm metric wrench).

A ½ inch ratchet with short and long extension for opening and closing the filler and drain plugs on the front differential, rear differential and transfer case. Additional tools may be required to change the oil on the main gearbox, depending on the model, but this is not likely to occur while traveling.

There is a special tool for disassembling the viscous fan, which is also used for blocking. I take a metric open-end wrench with a width of 36-mm for this. With that, it usually works also by jerky loosening with a hammer (be careful with that). Depending on the engine version, there are left-hand and right-hand threads. So, look carefully and pay attention.

Anything else? Any more special tools for the different model years/ engines required while being on the trail?

It would be great if we could include more threads in this subforum here and get a good overview of vehicle-specific tools.

Reactions: genocache

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I can't add much, since we have had virtually no need for any field repair/maintenance for many years, however your post reminded my of friends who used to come into town once every 6 weeks or so to pick up supplies and for whom my big adjustable spanner was the only way they could replace wheel bearings (which had to be done every 2nd visit or so) on their Defender.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
What just came to my mind is that when it comes to more extensive repairs, then for the Defender also twelve-edge sockets are required. For the bolts of the brake caliper a metric 13 and for the bolts of the brake disc a metric 14, each bolthead is twelve-edged. NOT a multi-tooth or Torx, please do not mix them up.