Vehicle specific section/threads

• HTML tutorial

Goose_W

Rank 0

Traveler I

Texas
I might take a bit to create, but it would be nice to see a section that was vehicle specific. That would allow members to ask rig specific questions to other people with the same rigs.
For example there would be a Toyota section with subsequent sub-sections for Toyota models. Each model would be a section where threads could me make about that specific vehicle.
Toyota
>Land Cruiser
>4Runner
>Tacoma
>Tundra
>etc

Reactions: 18JLU

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

This was discussed very early on, and the overwhelming consensus was to not go this route. The two main reasons are that:

There are already quite a few make and model specific forums available, and that we'd never be able to organize all of the information as sites like that. (I'm onT4R.org, for example which has more info in must my model year than all of the posts on this entire forum.)

And, forums that do go that route tend to have their members stick only to their vehicle of choice's forum, never interacting with the larger community as a whole. I've personally seen this on a variety of forums I've been involved in over the decades, and this is something that @Michael does not want to see happen here. First and foremost, this is a community of adventure seekers, not Ford guys or Toyota guys, etc.

There *has* been some discussion about possibly creating a sticky thread with links to the brand/model specific forums. This could be a big undertaking that no one has volunteered to take on yet.

Goose_W

Rank 0

Traveler I

Texas
This was discussed very early on, and the overwhelming consensus was to not go this route. The two main reasons are that:

There are already quite a few make and model specific forums available, and that we'd never be able to organize all of the information as sites like that. (I'm onT4R.org, for example which has more info in must my model year than all of the posts on this entire forum.)

And, forums that do go that route tend to have their members stick only to their vehicle of choice's forum, never interacting with the larger community as a whole. I've personally seen this on a variety of forums I've been involved in over the decades, and this is something that @Michael does not want to see happen here. First and foremost, this is a community of adventure seekers, not Ford guys or Toyota guys, etc.

There *has* been some discussion about possibly creating a sticky thread with links to the brand/model specific forums. This could be a big undertaking that no one has volunteered to take on yet.

Great answer, thanks for taking the time.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I can see both sides of this issues. On the one hand it could make people stick to one section of the site and not mingle with the other types of rig owners. I can also see how it would be helpful when modifying your personal rig. While there are Jeep sites out there, none are focused on the overland style like this site. Being able to easily checkout the mods that Jeep owners on this site have done would be very helpful.

A possible solution that should be pretty ease to setup and maintain would be the use of required thread prefixes in the Rig Build section. I use this method on a vBulletin site I run and it would well. I'm pretty sure XenForo has a similar function. The admins would need to setup the list of Rig prefixes (I would suggest only going model deep, not generation deep) that a user has to select from when starting a new thread. Then it would be simple for users to search the Rig Build section for "Tacoma" and it would return every thread that was a Tacoma build. This would also eliminate the search function from not returning Taco or whatever other spelling version someone used in the build thread.

@Boort , I think this would also solve the suggestion you posted as well to a major degree?

Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

The admins would need to setup the list of Rig prefixes (I would suggest only going model deep, not generation deep) that a user has to select from when starting a new thread. Then it would be simple for users to search the Rig Build section for "Tacoma" and it would return every thread that was a Tacoma build. This would also eliminate the search function from not returning Taco or whatever other spelling version someone used in the build thread.

@Boort , I think this would also solve the suggestion you posted as well to a major degree?
@Etoimos
I think this would resolve the issue, but similar tagging has been requested in the for sale areas and has been only partially successful. I'll keep plugging along and finding hat I can as the site grows.

Boort

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

I am part of the Subaru registration specific forum. Its just a thread but it works. On top of that it just sends me alerts when new people join in but other than that I'm in the main forum most of the time.