Launch Member

Contributor II

Fort Collins, CO
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Dash rattle in my 1998 Tacoma. Had to stuff a folded piece of cardboard between it and the windshield or else it drove me crazy.

OB 3319
My 98 Tacoma did the same thing. I used a bunch of folded up pieces of paper. Drove me insane. My current 99 4runner makes a weird slipping/squealing sound in reverse backing up in 4x4 under a lot of load (backing up a big hill, or out of a stuck situation). Its probably the tranny. It has 236k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Zargon

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I'm the only person that's able to start my '03 Discovery. Ever since I got it, you have to push the key in all the way and then pull it out just enough while turning the steering wheel slightly. I've done it so many times I don't even think about it. I can start it as fast as any other car, but when I take it to get new tires, I have to move it for them. Taking the key out is a whole nother process...

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app
My 95' is similar, though not quite as bad. Others can start it but it will take them about 25-30 seconds to figure out how

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

A quirk I forgot about till it reared its head this morning, when in particularly cold or wet, my front door latch becomes very temperamental. Whenever I go to shut the door, it just bounces back open!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: boehml

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

The H3s are notorious for accidentally entering antitheft mode when trying to start them. This is caused by faulty BCMs. Also the sunroof drains get clogged because of the design used for it to pass through the firewall, which in-turn makes water leak through the roof. Another bad quirk is the original transfer case had a plastic shift fork which changes between 4hi, 4 low and the standard 4 wheel drive. The shift fork cracks and gets stuck in 4hi or 4 low and takes a lot of reversing and turning to get it to disengage. There are a few other quirks it has, but these all give it character and can easily be remedied.

Luxolander

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orangevale
Member #

I drive a Ford Ranger sooooo, 'quirks' actually translates to 'normal'. Rattles, normal. Vibrations, normal. Radio volume going up and down by itself, normal.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

On my first rig (91 pathfinder) something happened where you couldn't get it out of park unless you held down this little. Button at the bottom of the shifter. Its one of those little buttons to put it in neutral when there is no key in the ignition. So you needed both hands to get it in drive. It was annoying at first but i never fixed it and just got use to it. Turns out one day some one broke in and tried to steal it! They got it hot wired but couldn't get it out of park. From then on all the door locks were busted and i would leave the sunroof unlatched and if i stood on the front tire i could lift the sunroof , reach in and pull up the door lock. It was only 30 cents for the tiny plastic thing in the door but every time someone broke into my car it broke again so i left everything how it was.
Also one day she started getting picking about slamming doors. If you locked the doors and shut them. The locks would pop back up. If you locked the doors and shut them holding the handle up in a more polite way. They would stay locked. I told everyone she was a lady and to treat her like one.
All my friends hated that rig. She will always have a special place in my heart.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
Your heat shield rattle could be a cracked heat shield. Had a car once that rattled bad once it got warmed up. Was real loud. Turned out to be a very small hairline crack in one of the heat shields. Once it was welded, no more rattle.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Jeeps come from the factory with quirks, haha. My Jeeps hard top will whistle past 60km/h no matter how many times I adjust it. Also, if I get stuck in a typhoon my hard top will leak perfectly center over my dash, but only with 1 or 2 droplets.
Does it whistle when you run the vent in recycle mode? Mine only whistles when fresh air is coming in.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

My fuel gauge stopped working about 30k miles ago. I now track my fuel with my trip meter figuring anything over 200 miles is time to start looking for fuel.

Reactions: seb