Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hernet
Member #

I decided I want to start logging things for my rig(problems, wiring that ive done, ideas while on trips) any one do this, what type of things do you write. Im not going to write mpg, because 8mpg hurts more when its written down.
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Truckerbizz

mattymais

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I decided I want to start logging things for my rig(problems, wiring that ive done, ideas while on trips) any one do this, what type of things do you write. Im not going to write mpg, because 8mpg hurts more when its written down.
Thanks in advance.
I currently scan copies of receipts and work done into google drive for both my 4Runner & my wife's Focus, and label them by mileage so it's in order. If a shop did the work, all of the info is obviously there, but if I install the parts, I write down date & mileage on the receipt and then scan it in. Seems to be clean, plus I always have access to it wherever I am with the app on my phone.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

mattymais

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I see. I also use excel for a lot too. Just gotta be in the habit of staying up on entering data. I've found that the drive is easier for me because it's easier to glance at a PDF instead of a spreadsheet on a phone too...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: chrishernet

mattymais

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I really need to scan all my receipts, that would save a bit of searching headache.
Hand write any needed notes on them before you scan. Rename the scanned file by mileage then service. For example, today I got an oil chance so my file name was "172486_Oil Change" and is in my 4Runner file in drive...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Vyscera

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I have a recurring annual calendar event setup for the first Saturday in December (one for my Jeep and another for my girlfriend's Merc). In those recurring events I just have a list of the common maintenance items and, whenever I perform something, I add a note (e.g. "Changed oil on 1.7.16, ~116.4k miles"). Mainly, these recurring calendar events serve the following purposes:
  • Provide quick reference for the last time XYZ service was performed and keep tabs on any developing issues (e.g. slight play developing in ball joints, DS flex discs cracking).
  • Remind me to go through the records for our vehicles at least once per year and schedule any upcoming maintenance.
  • Share this information with my girlfriend so she's in the loop too.
  • Serve as a reminder to prepare our vehicles for winter (e.g. put chains and ice scrapers into vehicles and get them up to date for trips to Tahoe).
  • Provide access to this information in a concise format from anywhere since I can pull it up on my phone.
Whenever a service is performed, I take the printed copy and put it into a manila file folder so we have it documented. If I perform the work myself, I print out a copy of the order (I buy a lot of my parts online) and then I write on it the date the part was installed along with the mileage and store it in the same file folder. I like the hard copy version because, when I go to sell a vehicle, I can just hand the new owner the folder and they should have everything that they need.

Last edited:

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I have a recurring annual calendar event setup for the first Saturday in December (one for my Jeep and another for my girlfriend's Merc). In those recurring events I just have a list of the common maintenance items and, whenever I perform something, I add a note (e.g. "Changed oil on 1.7.16, ~116.4k miles"). Mainly, these recurring calendar events serve the following purposes:
  • Provide quick reference for the last time XYZ service was performed and keep tabs on any developing issues (e.g. slight play developing in ball joints, DS flex discs cracking).
  • Remind me to go through the records for our vehicles at least once per year and schedule any upcoming maintenance.
  • Share this information with my girlfriend so she's in the loop too.
  • Serve as a reminder to prepare our vehicles for winter (e.g. put chains and ice scrapers into vehicles and get them up to date for trips to Tahoe).
  • Provide access to this information in a concise format from anywhere since I can pull it up on my phone.
Whenever a service is performed, I take the printed copy and put it into a manila file folder so we have it documented. If I perform the work myself, I print out a copy of the order (I buy a lot of my parts online) and then I write on it the date the part was installed along with the mileage and store it in the same file folder. I like the hard copy version because, when I go to sell a vehicle, I can just hand the new owner the folder and they should have everything that they need.
I've kept everything for resale as well. I go through vehicles and trailers a lot, and having maintenance records is gold. but its a pain to dig through when trying to figure out when you did something, or where you bought a part.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I've kept everything for resale as well. I go through vehicles and trailers a lot, and having maintenance records is gold. but its a pain to dig through when trying to figure out when you did something, or where you bought a part.
Agreed - this is why I keep the recurring calendar event. In that event, I only list the last time a service was performed and not the full history (that's what the manila file folder is for). That way I don't have to dig through a bunch of oil changes in order to find out when I last changed the spark plugs - the event just says the last time it was performed. Once I know the date and mileage it was performed, finding the actual paper document is easy since the manila file folder is in reverse chronological order.

I maintain the manila file folder because I try to be the type of owner that I'd like to buy a vehicle from (always up to date on maintenance, full records even on a vehicle with >100k miles, etc.).

Reactions: Overlander H2

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I've had too many glitches and failures with apps and such, as well as loosing files and spreadsheets when PCs go belly-up.

I write it down in a journal/binder book. Besides, if you ever decide to part with the rig you can give it to the new owner as part of the history of the vehicle.

I have been doing this with my Land Rover. The primary binder - the one documenting repairs and such - is now needing to go from a 4" binder to a 6" one. Within this binder I keep the receipts of all the parts purchased, special tools purchased, gear purchased, modifications made and so on. I also print out the various tips-n-tricks used to make repairs and such that the shop manuals don't cover.

I also have a section within the binder that is a "wishlist" or "need to do" list.

Reactions: chartgpa

Hank_

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jackson Michigan
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Heise
Member #

I have an old 3 hole binder 3" thick. I punch and keep all receipts in there. I also keep all the install and product manuals for all the aftermarket parts I purchased for my jeep. Surprising how often I've had to look back at a manual to check torque specs and stuff.

Hank

Reactions: chartgpa