Vehicle lift kits

• HTML tutorial

Mr E

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

U.K.
evening

So a question
Is a 1 or 2" lift kit worth fitting to a discovery 2??
Long term plan is to drive it to Aus, but is a lift kit a benefit to have??

The diffs will be the same height, it has rear air ride and lifts itself 2" if needed, but only at the rear, so if the diffs are still going to remain the same clearance is there a benefit I'm missing?

All the best

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I've not seen many bagged D2's here in the states so I can't offer how they handle offroad. Personally, I'd switch to coil springs in the rear and do a 2" OME lift all around. You'll still benefit from the extra clearance under the body, and allow you to fit a larger tire, which will in turn get the diffs raised a little higher. A 1" lift wouldn't be worth it I think. And with 3" you get into a whole new level mods (brake lines, driveline angles, castor angle, etc). With a 2" lift you can easily run 245/75/R16 or 235/85/R16 tires.

Reactions: Rubyredfozzy

Mr E

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

U.K.
Personally, I'd switch to coil springs in the rear and do a 2" OME lift all around.
Thanks for the reply, would you replace the rear air sus for peace of mind on long trips, or because it's a potentilly weak area with the bags venerability?

Many thanks

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Thanks for the reply, would you replace the rear air sus for peace of mind on long trips, or because it's a potentilly weak area with the bags venerability?

Many thanks
Both reasons actually.

Plus, assuming you are still running the factory springs, they have probably sagged a bit after all these years. If you add 2" springs you'll probably go up a little higher because of that. Measure straight up from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender at each corner. Install the lift and measure again. Doing so at each corner helps you to know if there is a lean to one side or the other. Some lift kits are designed to go on specific sides of the vehicle so be sure to check first.

Reactions: Rubyredfozzy

Mr E

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

U.K.
Both reasons actually.

Plus, assuming you are still running the factory springs, they have probably sagged a bit after all these years. If you add 2" springs you'll probably go up a little higher because of that. Measure straight up from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender at each corner. Install the lift and measure again. Doing so at each corner helps you to know if there is a lean to one side or the other. Some lift kits are designed to go on specific sides of the vehicle so be sure to check first.
@Disco2Guy Thanks for the advice - how does your D2 handle with a lift kit (going by your profile name i'm assuming you're a D2 owner and it's lifted)?

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Well I have 3" springs, 1" spacers run on 255/85/R16 (33") tires, and removed both the front an rear sway bars. So it leans a fair bit around the corners;) But, it's been setup like that for so long it's just normal to me now. It's a daily driver too!

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I suggest an OME 2" lift. You won't regret it. They have quality springs with correct rates for the added weight. I personally have a lift from them and Bilstein 5100 series shocks ready to go on. I got the HD spring rate for the added weight of all the gear and if I decide to haul a trailer. If it's too short, they do offer some 10mm spacers for each corner, or you could slap a taller spacer in if needed.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

Mr E

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

U.K.
Cheers for all the advice, am in the garage on Monday having the CSL transfer box fit, will speak to them about ordering parts etc

All the best