Vehicle Inventory

• HTML tutorial

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
This weekend I did an inventory of my truck and decided to take some pictures for my own reference and to share on this site. These are items that are always carried in the truck, with a general goal of trying to keep the weight reasonable while providing a high level of usefulness for vehicle repair and recovery.

Feel free to post if you have any questions, constructive criticism, or suggestions of other items to carry.

Storage
The majority of the items are stored in a custom drawer and the factory cargo cubby. I intentionally only built a half-width drawer because it allows me to store bulky items like kitchen gear on the other side while keeping the center of gravity as low as possible. I also built an extension for the drawer so it can serve as a sleeping platform.

The drawer contains first aid, recovery, and repair items separated into separate bags based on function. The cargo cubby contains a recovery strap and a hitch shackle adapter. The fire extinguisher and first aid kit are at the front of the drawer so they are easily accessible, though I am considering moving them closer to the driver so they are easier to get to.

There is an additional space at the front of the drawer behind the rear seat where I store a jack base and various ropes.

Small parts are stored in a plastic tub under the front seat.

I also have items wedged into the factory storage under the rear seat including the factory jack and a set of jumper cables.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Specific items
I own a high lift jack but never carry it (there's a good thread on this site discussing the pros and cons). Instead I carry the factory bottle jack with a saddle adapter and a base plate. The base plate is 3/4" plywood, which can support a surprisingly large amount of weight. This helps keep things stable on soft or uneven ground.

I have a Warn M8000 with synthetic rope on the front of the truck. My other recovery gear includes:
- Rash guard for the rope.
- Rear shackle mount.
- Dynamic recovery strap.
- Static tree strap which doubles as a winch extension.
- Remote control for the winch.
- Lightweight snatch block.
- Multiple shackles.
- Winch load calculation diagrams.
- Leather gloves (preferable to synthetic since they won't melt if used around a camp fire). I carry multiple pairs in case they get wet or someone needs to borrow a pair.
- Chain, turnbuckles, bolts for makeshift repairs (not used for recovery). These are lightweight and great for things like holding an axle in place.
- Air "cross" for airing up the tires.

All of the recovery gear has a MBS (minimum breaking strength) of at least 2x the max pull of the winch in a double-pull setup, with the winch line being the "fuse". I suggest reading about WLL (working load limit) vs MBS when selecting recovery gear.

The tools are primarily focused on my 4Runner, with a few more general items thrown in. When working on the truck at home I try to pay attention to what I use and make sure I carry a similar item in the truck. Many of the tools were bought used or at Harbor Freight to keep the cost down so that it's not the end of the world if they get stolen.
- Spare set of used belts.
- Metric combination wrenches and flare wrenches.
- Various screw drivers, including a large flat head striking cap driver that doubles as a chisel.
- Large combination wrench that fits on my adjustable track bar and also can be used as a cheater on smaller wrenches.
- Prybar.
- Soft hammer and a hatchet which doubles as a hammer.
- Gloves for working on the truck.
- Punches.
- Feeler gauge.
- Files (good for fixing messed up threads).
- Magnetic recovery tool, because I like to drop bolts.
- 3/8" extensions, wobble adapters, and adapters to 1/4" and 1/2". I'm hoping the 3/8" extensions will hold up if I ever use them with the 1/2" ratchet.
- 3/8" ratchet and 1/2" extending ratchet which doubles as a breaker bar.
- Both 3/8" and 1/2" metric sockets including "in between" sizes like 13mm which correspond to standard sizes like 1/2".
- Specialty sockets for the front hubs, spark plugs, and a 10mm hex for the drain plugs.
- Hex sockets, and torx bits for when Jeeps need help.
- Various pliers. I'm probably going to remove the linesman pliers since they are redundant.
- Wire brush for cleaning threads and removing old teflon tape.
- Hacksaw.
- Box cutter.
- Air gun.
- Crescent wrench, useful when I need two of a specific size wrench.
- Metric and imperial hex wrenches.

I probably should carry a set of locking pliers as well to help with rounded or stripped bolts.

And some miscellaneous gear:
- CB antenna.
- Wet wipes, soap, towel, and hand sanitizer.
- Various ropes, ratchet straps, and bungee cords.
- Window screens for sleeping in the truck.
- Fire extinguisher (need to see if this is on the recall list).
- First aid kit (I might do another thread on the contents).
- Staun deflators and an air pressure gauge.

And finally the contents of the box under the seat. These are all small items focused on making repairs to get the truck off the trail.
- Duct tape.
- Sand paper (all kinds of uses such as cleaning electrical contacts).
- Microfiber towel (prevents the items from rattling, and towels are always useful).
- Spare headlamp and spot light bulbs.
- RTV and Two types of quick setting epoxy.
- X-treme tape, electrical tape, and teflon tape.
- Small and large gauge wire.
- Multimeter.
- Spare fuses for the factory items and the winch, relays, and crimp terminals.
- Hose clamps, bailing wire, strapping, zip ties, etc.. for holding things on that are trying to fall off.
- ARB tire repair kit. The orange box this comes in takes a huge amount of room, I ditched it and saved a lot of space.
- Vinyl repair kit for camping gear.

I also carry a collection of paper maps, and an overland-rated Frisbee that is useful when people are moving slowly on the trail.

I think that is pretty much it, other than an ice scraper and flashlight which didn't make it into the pictures.

When offroading it is really easy to carry everything, literally including the kitchen sink. This post intentionally doesn't include camping gear (which is really a different discussion) and instead focuses on what I feel are high value everyday carry items. It also doesn't include emergency items such as water, food, and spare clothes since those are brought on an as-needed basis.

I hope that others find this post useful, and I'm interested in any feedback you may have.

- Matt

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
Definitely thanks for the post. Gives me some ideas.

Quick question, what size ply did you use for your drawer, and is there any flex to it? I'm getting ready to start on a drawer system of my own.

craigR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mt Dora, FL
Member #

Fantastic Matt. A great pictorial reference for those of us still building vehicle kits.

Chris.n.world

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Juillac, Gironde, France
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Fou
Member #

Very nice and well thought list !
Some of your items listed here are definitly needed in my inventory, especially those hose clamps !

My fire extinguisher might be replaced by some fire strikes, have you ever tryed one ?
I saw a vw truck burning next to my rig on the highway a few weeks ago, the 5 fire extinguisher (big ones, not the little we carry inboard) they used on it did not help much ...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant OB Talk

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Thanks, I'm glad you found the post helpful. There are existing threads on individual items like first aid kits and tool sets, but I thought it would be good to discuss the "total inventory" for back-country travel.

I don't want to imply that my setup is perfect, just a starting point for a discussion.

Definitely thanks for the post. Gives me some ideas.

Quick question, what size ply did you use for your drawer, and is there any flex to it? I'm getting ready to start on a drawer system of my own.
Hi Jimmy, the drawer is made out of high quality 1/2" plywood. I built it quite a few years ago and it has held up well over many offroad trips.

Here are some pictures. You can find more info if you search for my name here or on ExpeditionPortal.
http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/t4r_drawer

I also built a larger drawer system for another truck using the same type of material.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/154164-Adam-s-2005-4runner-Modular-Drawer-System-Initial-Planning-amp-Build-thread

Very nice and well thought list !
Some of your items listed here are definitly needed in my inventory, especially those hose clamps !

My fire extinguisher might be replaced by some fire strikes, have you ever tryed one ?
I saw a vw truck burning next to my rig on the highway a few weeks ago, the 5 fire extinguisher (big ones, not the little we carry inboard) they used on it did not help much ...
Hi Chris, thank you. I think I got the idea for the hose clamps from 4-wheel and offroad magazine. They are small and really useful for attaching parts together, or for repairing hoses.

Can you provide some more information on what a "fire strike" is? I agree that the small fire extinguishers most of use carry have very limited use in a real fire. My extinguisher is rated as 5BC (5 square feet of coverage), which is really small. It could possibly put out a minor engine fire, but that's it. I've been thinking about moving up to a larger one or carrying multiple.

- Matt

Reactions: Jimmy P

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Nice layout and clean organization. It’s amazing how much stuff can be carried on the vehicle and have it still appear empty. How much does all that everyday gear weigh? Frisbee is a key component too, ha.

I carry a similar amount of stuff that I always keep in the truck. I reorganized my gear so that it is categorized as Emergency, Recovery, Overland/Outdoor, Parts/Fluids and Tools and all contained together.

Chris.n.world

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Juillac, Gironde, France
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Fou
Member #

Here, a picture to illustrate the different sizes :
https://goo.gl/images/yTxzGf

The real name is FireStryker obviously and not Fire striker like I wrongly wrote it before !

Andrew St Pierre White from 4xOverland did a very short "review" on them in one of his last youtube video :

Last edited:

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Nice layout and clean organization. It’s amazing how much stuff can be carried on the vehicle and have it still appear empty. How much does all that everyday gear weigh? Frisbee is a key component too, ha.
That's a good question, and I'm sorry to say I didn't weigh everything. I would guess that it is under 100lbs total. The tool bag is the heaviest item followed by the recovery bag.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I hunt a lot, so I vacuum sealed several rounds and types of ammunition for every firearm I own, including different shot shells for different applications just in case. I keep the pack in the bottom of my center console. Someday ammo will somehow get forgotten or lost, and my hunt won’t be completely ruined. Aside from a survival situation to be prepared for, I learned from stories from old timers that spent all day traveling to their hunting grounds only to realize that the box of shells were sitting at home next to the coffee maker.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Specific items
I own a high lift jack but never carry it (there's a good thread on this site discussing the pros and cons). Instead I carry the factory bottle jack with a saddle adapter and a base plate. The base plate is 3/4" plywood, which can support a surprisingly large amount of weight. This helps keep things stable on soft or uneven ground.

I have a Warn M8000 with synthetic rope on the front of the truck. My other recovery gear includes:
- Rear shackle mount.
- Multiple shackles.
- Leather gloves (preferable to synthetic since they won't melt if used around a camp fire). I carry multiple pairs in case they get wet or someone needs to borrow a pair.
- Chain, turnbuckles, bolts for makeshift repairs (not used for recovery). These are lightweight and great for things like holding an axle in place.

All of the recovery gear has a MBS (minimum breaking strength) of at least 2x the max pull of the winch in a double-pull setup, with the winch line being the "fuse". I suggest reading about WLL (working load limit) vs MBS when selecting recovery gear.

The tools are primarily focused on my 4Runner, with a few more general items thrown in. When working on the truck at home I try to pay attention to what I use and make sure I carry a similar item in the truck. Many of the tools were bought used or at Harbor Freight to keep the cost down so that it's not the end of the world if they get stolen.
- Various screw drivers, including a large flat head striking cap driver that doubles as a chisel.
- Large combination wrench that fits on my adjustable track bar and also can be used as a cheater on smaller wrenches.
- Prybar.
- Punches.
- Feeler gauge.
- 3/8" extensions, wobble adapters, and adapters to 1/4" and 1/2". I'm hoping the 3/8" extensions will hold up if I ever use them with the 1/2" ratchet.
- Both 3/8" and 1/2" metric sockets including "in between" sizes like 13mm which correspond to standard sizes like 1/2".
- Specialty sockets for the front hubs, spark plugs, and a 10mm hex for the drain plugs.
- Various pliers. I'm probably going to remove the linesman pliers since they are redundant.
- Hacksaw.
- Box cutter.
- Air gun.

I probably should carry a set of locking pliers as well to help with rounded or stripped bolts.

- CB antenna.

And finally the contents of the box under the seat. These are all small items focused on making repairs to get the truck off the trail.
- Duct tape.
- Microfiber towel (prevents the items from rattling, and towels are always useful).
- Multimeter.
- Hose clamps, bailing wire, strapping, zip ties, etc.. for holding things on that are trying to fall off.
- ARB tire repair kit. The orange box this comes in takes a huge amount of room, I ditched it and saved a lot of space.

I also carry a collection of paper maps, and an overland-rated Frisbee that is useful when people are moving slowly on the trail.

I think that is pretty much it, other than an ice scraper and flashlight which didn't make it into the pictures.

When offroading it is really easy to carry everything, literally including the kitchen sink. This post intentionally doesn't include camping gear (which is really a different discussion) and instead focuses on what I feel are high value everyday carry items. It also doesn't include emergency items such as water, food, and spare clothes since those are brought on an as-needed basis.

I hope that others find this post useful, and I'm interested in any feedback you may have.

- Matt
Outstanding thread Matt...thank you for taking the time and showing everything...great reminders of what to put in the vehicle..

Reactions: slomatt

Kumayama

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ridgemark, CA, USA
First Name
Lyn
Last Name
Mangiameli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6OMM
A couple of additions I’ve found valuable:
1. A handle that accepts standard reciprocating saw blades, so you can use them manually to make cuts in confined spaces. I’ve used this several times in the field, once to trim rock rails. Carry at last four metal cutting blades, 2 fine, the other 2 medium. It can be found here
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=62596&cat=1,43456

2 a small long nosed vicegrip wrench. Many uses but it is especially suited for clamping shut a torn brake line. https://www.harborfreight.com/9-in-long-nose-locking-pliers-63871.html

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: Chadlyb

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
A couple of additions I’ve found valuable:
1. A handle that accepts standard reciprocating saw blades, so you can use them manually to make cuts in confined spaces. I’ve used this several times in the field, once to trim rock rails. Carry at last four metal cutting blades, 2 fine, the other 2 medium. It can be found here
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=62596&cat=1,43456

2 a small long nosed vicegrip wrench. Many uses but it is especially suited for clamping shut a torn brake line. https://www.harborfreight.com/9-in-long-nose-locking-pliers-63871.html

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Good suggestions, thanks. I have a small hacksaw in my bag which has proven useful on a few occasions. While in Moab a friend pinched his exhaust tip almost completely shut and his engine was stumbling, we used a hacksaw to cut off the damaged section so we could get off the trail.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Specific items

- Rear shackle mount.
- Multiple shackles.

- Prybar.
- Punches.
- Feeler gauge.
- Hacksaw.
- Box cutter.
- Air gun.

- CB antenna.

- Duct tape.
- Multimeter.

- Matt
Make sure your fire extinguisher isn't one they just recalled...Kidde brand with plastic hardware...just noticed yours...posted warning in general discussion area....
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Reactions: Chadlyb

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

Great thread and ideas. I carry everything I can think of, but run into storage issues. Not to hijack the thread, but how do you all store these items other than the one tray shown. At this point I have a 50 caliber ammo box, a milk crate and a kitty litter container to hold tools, lubricants and recovery equipment. Show me how you store your stuff along with what stuff you store.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Here are some pictures of what is inside my first aid kit. Before going into details I should mention that I've assembled these items over the last few years based on my own personal level of first aid training (Wilderness First Aid from both the Red Cross and NOLS. Mass casualty training through CERT.). and research. I strongly think that first aid training is the most important part of your "kit", it is a small investment in time and money that is worth a huge amount during an emergency. Instead of buying one of the pre-packaged kits I recommend getting some level of training and then building a kit centered around the items that you know how to use.

Here are the three use cases I've focused on:

1. Driving on paved roads around town or on the way to a trail. Most likely cause of injury here is a multi-car accident or fire.
2. Driving on dirt trails. Most likely cause of injury is a single-vehicle accident such as a roll, or injuries to spotters outside of the vehicles.
3. Camping or hiking. Most likely causes of injuries are burns, cuts, twisted ankles, broken bones, etc.

This kit is not built to support prolonged treatment in the backcountry, instead if an injury is severe enough we will evacuate the person out to get help. For most of us in the US "overlanding" does not mean ever being all that far from some kind of civilization. I did not include items such as a flashlight, radio, or cell phone in the list since we all carry those. And of course if you travel alone you should bring more advanced supplies.

The kit fits into a blue lunch box I got at Goodwill for $1 which has a removable plastic tub that can be used as a tray if needed. The orange safety shears and my notes from the NOLS course are in an outside pocket. The inside is organized with critical items such as nitrile gloves and a CPR shield near the top (personal protection is #1).

Different schools prioritize ABC (airway, breathing, circulation) vs CAB, but the bottom line is that being able to breath and circulate blood are critical. Maintaining an airway (beyond head tilt/chin lift) is a tough one for non medical experts. I've seen people carry trach tubes but without training I don't think they have a lot of value. Stopping or slowing traumatic bleeding is much more doable, and there is significant risk of bleeding in a vehicle related accident.

Here are the items in the main part of the bag. This is fairly heavily focused on bleeding and less so on personal comfort.
- Trauma shears.
- Syringe for wound irrigation.
- Empty plastic bags for wound irrigation, disposal of contaminated materials, occlusive dressing, etc.
- Latex gloves (multiple pairs).
- Coban tape and elastic rolls for holding dressings or treating sprains.
- Israeli military bandage (major bleeding).
- CPR shield.
- Various tapes for wounds and sprains.
- Large roll of gauze for wounds.
- Triangle bandages for splints and slings.
- Space blanket to keep the patient warm and dry, at least until it rips.
- SWAT tourniquet.
- Emergency C, electrolytes.
- Advil for pain management.
- Antacids
- Off brand "Sam Splint"
- Surgical sponges for wounds.
- Suture strips.
- Box for small items.

The white box contains small items that would get lost otherwise. If you look closely most of the medications are a year or so expired. I've been told that they don't loose much potency, and again this is a good reason not to invest too much in large quantities of medications.

- Benadryl for allergic reactions.
- Children's chewable Aspirin for heart attacks.
- Immodium for stomach issues.
- Various safety pins for splints, bandages, and slings.
- Superglue (doesn't take much space, can be used as liquid suture).
- Alcohol swabs.
- Burn gel.
- Triple antibiotic ointment.
- High quality tweezers.
- Various sizes of band aids.

That's pretty much it. I do also have a small first aid kit in my backpack that I take hiking, but perhaps that'll be in a future post. Recently I added a mirror to that kit because you could have an injury to your face and need to be able to see it.

Again, I'm interested in your constructive criticism and feedback. This kit is a work in progress and changes every time I learn more or hear a good idea.

- Matt