Lancaster, PA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCarley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFX362
Maybe it's been discussed, but I wasn't able to get any hits when searched.
My question is what is everyone doing for insuring their rig with all it's extras?
If the worst happened and our rig was a total loss, insurance would only be covering the value of the truck, nothing else. We have front ARB bumper, winch, lights, rear bumper and tire carrier. Custom roof rack, two ARB awnings and CVT Summit up top plus our 3 Plano cases of gear. Inside the truck there are mods and gear of course.
My fear is if everything was lost we'd only get half the value or less. We have Erie Insurance.
Thanks for any input everyone.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Most insurance companies have writers that you can add to cover additional stuff. There are also other insurances you can buy to cover things too (like the tool policy I had because my previous employer did not insure my tools). One option might be to look for specialty insurance. Its more of a vintage car thing so it might not apply, but the insurance policy I have on my Corvette covers DECLARED value. I tell them what I want it insured for, and they wrote the policy for that. Also ironically insurance like that covers more and costs less.

vwauditech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lancaster, PA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCarley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFX362
Most insurance companies have writers that you can add to cover additional stuff. There are also other insurances you can buy to cover things too (like the tool policy I had because my previous employer did not insure my tools). One option might be to look for specialty insurance. Its more of a vintage car thing so it might not apply, but the insurance policy I have on my Corvette covers DECLARED value. I tell them what I want it insured for, and they wrote the policy for that. Also ironically insurance like that covers more and costs less.
I have Hagerty on my two classics, but I don't think they would cover the 01 Land Rover. I should double check on that though. I'm still waiting to hear back from my insurance writer, hopefully they get back to me in the next couple days.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

This. Call and tell them what you want insured and for how much, and most companies should be able to do that.

You might have to work with them a bit, like being prepared to provide receipts. But, my wife and I have a blanket "valuable items" policy through USAA. One time she lost her wedding ring, and all we had to do was something like email them a link to the ring for sale, or forward my electronic purchase receipt to them. They approved the funds in like 10 minutes.

Honestly I totally forgot about it, actually. It costs us like $24/yr per $2500 covered heh.

Last edited: