Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Does anyone have any trouble getting their vehicles inspected? I just bought a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.5 lift on it. It’s in the shop having some work done. At the moment I can’t do my own wrenching due to a bad injury. Shop is saying that they might not pass it due to the lift. I see vehicles with more lift then mine.

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

Does anyone have any trouble getting their vehicles inspected? I just bought a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.5 lift on it. It’s in the shop having some work done. At the moment I can’t do my own wrenching due to a bad injury. Shop is saying that they might not pass it due to the lift. I see vehicles with more lift then mine.
I'm not saying this is it, but only because you mentioned the lift. Some states have a maximum headlight height. Have you check the regulation in your state?

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I'm not saying this is it, but only because you mentioned the lift. Some states have a maximum headlight height. Have you check the regulation in your state?
I’ll have to check it out. I wasn’t thinking about it because of all the lifted Jeeps I see driving around.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Keep in mind, some folks go to great lengths to work around inspection requirements. I know one guy who can swap his engine in five hours or so. That is to deal with Kalifornia smog requirements. Compared to that it should be a piece of cake to swap on a set of small tires/wheels for long enough to get around a few inches of lift.

I am not recommending you go to those lengths. Just suggesting that you don't assume the others you see are exactly following the law.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Keep in mind, some folks go to great lengths to work around inspection requirements. I know one guy who can swap his engine in five hours or so. That is to deal with Kalifornia smog requirements. Compared to that it should be a piece of cake to swap on a set of small tires/wheels for long enough to get around a few inches of lift.

I am not recommending you go to those lengths. Just suggesting that you don't assume the others you see are exactly following the law.
Fortunately the Jeep doesn’t have to pass emissions just safety. The last vehicle that I did any work to was my 86 F150. Put a body lift 33s and Bushwacker flares. Never had a issue

Reactions: eagle_A40

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I would say get specifics from the shop, they should be able to build you a quote so you have in writing what the issue is, then get a second opinion. Then theres always the option of sitting down with your favorite beverage and reading through the vehicle inspection requirements and looking over the Jeep yourself.

Reactions: Jeepmedic46

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I would say get specifics from the shop, they should be able to build you a quote so you have in writing what the issue is, then get a second opinion. Then theres always the option of sitting down with your favorite beverage and reading through the vehicle inspection requirements and looking over the Jeep yourself.
What the shop is saying it’s to tall. Apparently the lift can only be 2” at the lower part of the door. I see vehicles a lot taller then mine with inspection stickers. Is Massachusetts the worst state for inspection? Hopefully going to move to NH as soon as my medical stuff is done. They seem to be easier on lifted trucks.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
where is the 2" from the lowest part of the door measured from? The rocker panel on my FSB is 4" (estimate) thick, wich would put the lowest part of my door at least 6" from the top of my cab body mount. And that is with worn out stock body mount bushings.
I would be looking for anoher shop to do the inspection.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Good News the place passed the Jeep. The woman pushed them and they overlooked the lift and the aftermarket headlights. Next year I’ll find a different place for inspection. Hoping to be out of Mass.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
What the shop is saying it’s to tall. Apparently the lift can only be 2” at the lower part of the door. I see vehicles a lot taller then mine with inspection stickers. Is Massachusetts the worst state for inspection? Hopefully going to move to NH as soon as my medical stuff is done. They seem to be easier on lifted trucks.
Do you know where the measurements are to and from? I'm just curious, I bet it's a regulation to keep people from doing too large of a body lift, which honestly may not be a bad thing. Anyway, glad to hear you're good to go on inspection.

Reactions: Jeepmedic46

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Do you know where the measurements are to and from? I'm just curious, I bet it's a regulation to keep people from doing too large of a body lift, which honestly may not be a bad thing. Anyway, glad to hear you're good to go on inspection.
The people who brought the Jeep couldn’t tell me where the measurements are taken . Supposedly the lift can’t be more then 3.75. I see taller trucks then that everywhere.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So from www.liftlaws.com Massachusetts has a maximum of 2" suspension lift. but no body or frame hight measurments. I would get some junkyard springs and put under your xj for its next inspection. then simply swap back to your lift after inspection.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

The site also provides an equation for 4x4 vehicles to determine lift.
Wheelbase / trackwidth x 2200
Jeep Cherokee: 101.4" / 58" x 2200 = 3.85" of lift.
Thank you for those calculations. Right now I have the Rough Country 4.5 short arm. I want to switch it to the long arm suspension. May put a smaller lift on.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Bumper heights as well. This issue came up on an OB forum awhile back. It that case an OB member moved from one state to another, he registered his rig after inspection and was given a license. A cop pulled him over and said if he ever saw the rig on the street of his town he would ticket it and have it hauled to storage. So, check your state laws before you go hog wild on lifts and tires.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Bumper heights as well. This issue came up on an OB forum awhile back. It that case an OB member moved from one state to another, he registered his rig after inspection and was given a license. A cop pulled him over and said if he ever saw the rig on the street of his town he would ticket it and have it hauled to storage. So, check your state laws before you go hog wild on lifts and tires.
This is as high as I intend to go. Not planning on doing any rock crawling. When we decide to move I will check out the lift laws.