Vehicle Help

• HTML tutorial

Drkangel1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

TX
Member #

Hello , I am new here and need some of your advise concerning my rig and overloading. So my question is do I have the right vehicle too venture out to camp and explore the none tar paved roads at times when the beautiful landscape calls me to venture inland and I don't mean rock crawling or should I think about getting a different rig. Now I also must inform you I am retired and live on a fixed income so no overtime for me any more for big toys expenses and some of you might under stand what I am talking about , so I will give some information on my current rig of what I have done too it from the day I bought new until now so here is the list and some photos. She also has 130,000 miles with no problems only factory recalls and still running strong .

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn SLT Crew Cab 2wd 4x2
Engine : Hemi 5.7 V8
Horsepower: 390
Torque: 407
Transmission: 5 speed automatic
Rear Axle: 3:55 with LSD

* Wheels: 20x10 Fuel Mavericks D536
* Tires: Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 LT275/65R20 (34" tall)
* Suspension: CST 4" lift kit
* Shocks: Rancho RS9000 XL
* Leveling Kit: Front Day Star 2"
* Air Bags: Rear Air Lift 1000
* Derale Transmission Cooler
* PML Transmission Cover
* MagHytec Diff, Rear Cover
* K&N Air Intake Filter
*Front Bumper Frontier Extreme Grill Guard
* Rear Tail Light Guards
* Hella 500FF fog & Driving Lights
* Tire Gate Rear Carrier with Jerry Cans
* Back Flip G2 bed Cover
* Rhino Rack Roof Cross Bars
* SURCO Urban Roof Rack
* Cobra CB Radio#75WX ST
* Garmin Navigation #Dezl 760LMT

I have includeda list of future parts if I were to keep the truck as follow.

* Front Winch
* New Shocks Ranchos
* KC Gravity LED pro6 light bar for top roof rack.
* KC 4" Round LZR led pair pack black Rear of roof rack
* VIAIR On board Air system

And did I mention the truck has a ** LIFE TIME WARRANTY ** also so thanks for taking the time to respond to my post God Bless.

View attachment 40423 View attachment 40424 View attachment 40425 View attachment 40426 View attachment 40427

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

It' a super nice truck but have you ever considered trading it for a 4x4 ? With All the extra weight, 2 wheel might not be the best option for all the gear ! Really something you should think about before you invest to much money and realize you need a 4x4 ! It' a lot easier to get stuck than you may think especially when your loaded with gear!

Reactions: Zargon

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

LOL.....hell ya, nice list of mods. Looks like a great setup. Your truck looks almost new!
Read the Boot Camp section of OB main page to fill in any gaps.
Just get out there and start exploring. Frig don’t forget to come up to Canada too.
You have a very capable vehicle. There are lots of guys and gals on here who are running the same vehicle. Just always keep in mind your only 2wd.
Have fun!

PS: is the tire carrier and Jerry can holder custom?

Drkangel1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

TX
Member #

Hello, I Just want too thank every one who took there time to look and respond to my post with a lot good information for me to think about and there is so much information on OB site its crazy good . I am looking forward too getting to read all the post on OB forums to better my self and rig for future travels thank you agin.

Reactions: canadianoverlanders

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello , I am new here and need some of your advise concerning my rig and overloading. So my question is do I have the right vehicle too venture out to camp and explore the none tar paved roads at times when the beautiful landscape calls me to venture inland and I don't mean rock crawling or should I think about getting a different rig. Now I also must inform you I am retired and live on a fixed income so no overtime for me any more for big toys expenses and some of you might under stand what I am talking about , so I will give some information on my current rig of what I have done too it from the day I bought new until now so here is the list and some photos. She also has 130,000 miles with no problems only factory recalls and still running strong .

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn SLT Crew Cab 2wd 4x2
Engine : Hemi 5.7 V8
Horsepower: 390
Torque: 407
Transmission: 5 speed automatic
Rear Axle: 3:55 with LSD

* Wheels: 20x10 Fuel Mavericks D536
* Tires: Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 LT275/65R20 (34" tall)
* Suspension: CST 4" lift kit
* Shocks: Rancho RS9000 XL
* Leveling Kit: Front Day Star 2"
* Air Bags: Rear Air Lift 1000
* Derale Transmission Cooler
* PML Transmission Cover
* MagHytec Diff, Rear Cover
* K&N Air Intake Filter
*Front Bumper Frontier Extreme Grill Guard
* Rear Tail Light Guards
* Hella 500FF fog & Driving Lights
* Tire Gate Rear Carrier with Jerry Cans
* Back Flip G2 bed Cover
* Rhino Rack Roof Cross Bars
* SURCO Urban Roof Rack
* Cobra CB Radio#75WX ST
* Garmin Navigation #Dezl 760LMT

I have includeda list of future parts if I were to keep the truck as follow.

* Front Winch
* New Shocks Ranchos
* KC Gravity LED pro6 light bar for top roof rack.
* KC 4" Round LZR led pair pack black Rear of roof rack
* VIAIR On board Air system

And did I mention the truck has a ** LIFE TIME WARRANTY ** also so thanks for taking the time to respond to my post God Bless.

View attachment 40423 View attachment 40424 View attachment 40425 View attachment 40426 View attachment 40427
Great truck and set up...very capable rig. Just remember that your going to spend lots of road time on the hwys and or gravel or hard pack.just be careful in your off road excursions and plan right and you'll definitely be ok.

JoeyLuck

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Luck
Member #

Nice sounding set-up. I agree with ZJ Grizzly above, that the weight may restrict you from getting into places with 2wd only. Have you thought about lockers perhaps? Not always cheap, but possibly cheaper than buying a 4x4 on a budget.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Nice sounding set-up. I agree with ZJ Grizzly above, that the weight may restrict you from getting into places with 2wd only. Have you thought about lockers perhaps? Not always cheap, but possibly cheaper than buying a 4x4 on a budget.
Like JoeyLuck,
I would invest in a true locker for the rear axle of your truck. The other Item would be a good quality winch up front. You have a nice truck, with good mods so far. The addition of just a couple of things, and you can go in lots of places off-road with piece of mind. Benz.

Drkangel1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

TX
Member #

LOL.....hell ya, nice list of mods. Looks like a great setup. Your truck looks almost new!
Just get out there and start exploring. Frig don’t forget to come up to Canada too.
You have a very capable vehicle. There are lots of guys and gals on here who are running the same vehicle. Just always keep in mind your only 2wd.
Have fun!

Have fun!

Hi Wiznode, Sorry responding late to your question of about my tire carrier the brand is ( TIRE GATE ) and is made by Wilco Offroad , they are out of Santa Ana, CA and this is there webb site Wilcooffroad.com also I made the jerry can base and used Smitty Built jerry can holders and attached to the new custom base hope this helps.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

"It doesn’t matter what you drive
We are not a Jeep community, a Toyota community, or a Yugo community. We are a worldwide community of overlanders. Of course your vehicle has to be capable and safe for what you are going to ask it to do. We can help you with that."