Vehicle Help

• HTML tutorial

Drkangel1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

TX
Member #

Hello , I am new here and need some of your advise concerning my rig and overloading. So my question is do I have the right vehicle too venture out to camp and explore the none tar paved roads at times when the beautiful landscape calls me to venture inland and I don't mean rock crawling or should I think about getting a different rig. Now I also must inform you I am retired and live on a fixed income so no overtime for me any more for big toys expenses and some of you might under stand what I am talking about , so I will give some information on my current rig of what I have done too it from the day I bought new until now so here is the list and some photos. She also has 130,000 miles with no problems only factory recalls and still running strong .

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn SLT Crew Cab 2wd 4x2
Engine : Hemi 5.7 V8
Horsepower: 390
Torque: 407
Transmission: 5 speed automatic
Rear Axle: 3:55

* Wheels: 20x10 Fuel Mavericks D536
* Tires: Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 LT275/65R20 (34" tall)
* Suspension: CST 4" lift kit
* Shocks: Rancho RS9000 XL
* Leveling Kit: Front Day Star 2"
* Air Bags: Rear Air Lift 1000
* Derale Transmission Cooler
* PML Transmission Cover
* MagHytec Diff, Rear Cover
* K&N Air Intake Filter
*Front Bumper Frontier Extreme Grill Guard
* Rear Tail Light Guards
* Hella 500FF fog & Driving Lights
* Tire Gate Rear Carrier with Jerry Cans
* Back Flip G2 bed Cover
* Rhino Rack Roof Cross Bars
* SURCO Urban Roof Rack
* Cobra CB Radio#75WX ST
* Garmin Navigation #Dezl 760LMT

I have includeda list of future parts if I were to keep the truck as follow.

* Front Winch
* New Shocks Ranchos
* KC Gravity LED pro6 light bar for top roof rack.
* KC 4" Round LZR led pair pack black Rear of roof rack
* VIAIR On board Air system

And did I mention the truck has a ** LIFE TIME WARRANTY ** also so thanks for taking the time to respond to my post God Bless.

fullsizeoutput_14cf.jpeg fullsizeoutput_14c0.jpeg fullsizeoutput_14df.jpeg IMG_0721.JPG IMG_0722.JPG

Reactions: Luis Merlo

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Nice rig! You can go a lot of places with that. Just keep in mind not every where! And the comfort level of not having 4 wheel drive to me means not venturing out to far without another 4x4 with you. Although you should always have another vehicle with you no matter what you're driving. Just get out and learn you're capabilities not to far off their beaten path. Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Nice rig! You can go a lot of places with that. Just keep in mind not every where! And the comfort level of not having 4 wheel drive to me means not venturing out to far without another 4x4 with you. Although you should always have another vehicle with you no matter what you're driving. Just get out and learn you're capabilities not to far off their beaten path. Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app
Same as above. The only thing I didn't see was maybe a limited slip or locker in the rear. Great setup.

VisualOverland

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lakewood, CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

Sweet Rig! Very capable! Here in California I have gone off-road with 2wd trucks with no problems. Just learn know your limits. You're ahead of the game with a winch! Have fun! Cheers from LA!

Reactions: Zargon

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Everyone is always surprised by just where a 2wd can go offroad. I have driven with a couple of bone stock 4cyl 2wd Chevy s10's up in my local mountains and have only had problems when we were trying to get them stuck! (For recovery practice of course...). Your rig is plenty capable for a large portion of off-tarmac driving.

My only $0.02 would be that unless you are planning on driving a large amount in the dark (Where you don't get to see as much of the beautiful countryside), you probably have plenty of lighting on your rig already. I would save the money you'd spend on the light bar and led pair pack to use as gas money to get out and explore.

Drkangel1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

TX
Member #

Hello, I Just want too thank every one who took there time to look and respond to my post with a lot good information for me to think about and there is so much information on OB site its crazy good . I am looking forward too getting to read all the post on OB forums to better my self and rig for future travels thank you agin.

feetforbrains

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vashon, WA 98070
First Name
MatthewAlan
Last Name
Thyer
Member #

You're good to go IMO. Just understand the limitations of your vehicle before you find your self hopelessly stuck or floating out of control. That rule applies to everyone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Phil Preston

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Shelbyville, KY USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Preston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4LET
Service Branch
First Responder
Nice Rig! IMHO... I would say add a locker to the rear being that's it not 4 wheel drive, and a winch to the front. What you can't drive through with the locker, you can almost always pull through with the winch :)

Happy Exploring!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Just do it and have fun. You will find out what you need over time

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I'd consider swapping out the side steps for some sliders. They can function as a side step, but also support the weight of the vehicle and protect the body better. You may not seek out terrain where you HAVE to use them, but sometimes that terrain will seek you out instead. And you can sell the side steps if they're in good condition, helping cover the cost of the sliders :)

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I've explored tons of places here in the pnw with something as simple as a Toyota camry with snow tires . You can see a lot with a very simple setup. Just gotta know your limits and have a way of self recovery .

Reactions: Zargon