Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
In August I’ll be leaving on an expedition to Nain, Labrador from Grand Rapids, MI via the trans Labrador highway, then boat and bush plane. There will not be rock climbing or highly technical Offroading but being the Eagle Scout I am I’d like to be prepared for the worst.

Pre travel I plan to have a comprehensive inspection and maintenance.

I will pack basic hand tools(I’m an experienced Jeeper) as well as oil, filter, some coolant, wiper fluid, full size spare, typical recovery equipment however I do not have an electric winch for this rig. I do have a high lift, straps, and a more power puller.

I have onboard air, mobile HAM, first aid, and all the camping gear required.

What are additional considerations I should add to the list?

Is a sat phone or tracker rental worthwhile?

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Can't advise you on the SAT phone or personal tracker/locator beacon as I don't have personal experience with them, but dang, I'm envious as hell of your trip.

I've been up around the north side of the Gulf of St Lawrence as far as Sept Iles Quebec in the same vehicle I have now, in the deep of winter no less, and daydream about going up through Labrador all the way to Torngat Mountains NP, and on another adventure over to Newfoundland via ferry from Cape Breton, which I explored several times in the 70's.

I sure hope you post updates next August, Cort, I'll be following along, to be sure.

Reactions: Cort

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Can't advise you on the SAT phone or personal tracker/locator beacon as I don't have personal experience with them, but dang, I'm envious as hell of your trip.

I've been up around the north side of the Gulf of St Lawrence as far as Sept Iles Quebec in the same vehicle I have now, in the deep of winter no less, and daydream about going up through Labrador all the way to Torngat Mountains NP, and on another adventure over to Newfoundland via ferry from Cape Breton, which I explored several times in the 70's.

I sure hope you post updates next August, Cort, I'll be following along, to be sure.

I absolutely will! Our team goal is to explore the surrounding area of Nain and perhaps find a guide to take us to Chubb's Crater the in 2019. I've been wanting to hit that area forever!

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I absolutely will! Our team goal is to explore the surrounding area of Nain and perhaps find a guide to take us to Chubb's Crater the in 2019. I've been wanting to hit that area forever!
I think I just saw in one of @Steve's posts that he takes a PLB with him when going back country or solo, so he may have better input. I have a Garmin In Reach (they bought DeLorme) for when I do desert or other solo adventuring, but haven't used it all yet, so am no real help in that regard. I do know my research before I got it that it is highly regarded and that you don't have to have a full-time subscription but can do month at a time if desired.

Don't know much about Chubb's Crater but will look it up. The whole area fascinates me, as does the Yukon and NWT and Alaska, though Alaska is becoming more and more bus tours and huge motor homes in many spots. Newfoundland and Labrador hold a lot of appeal in that they're not as huge a draw to large tourist vehicles.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Beer , you forgot beer on your list
That’s a given, and whiskey/cigars. Life essentials.
Don't know much about Chubb's Crater but will look it up. The whole area fascinates me, as does the Yukon and NWT and Alaska, though Alaska is becoming more and more bus tours and huge motor homes in many spots. Newfoundland and Labrador hold a lot of appeal in that they're not as huge a draw to large tourist vehicles.
Alaska is the only State in the US I haven’t visited, I need to get there. Chubb’s Crater is the clearest water on the continent but it isn’t exactly easy to get to.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pingualuit_crater

Reactions: Road

akmedic77

Rank 0

Traveler I

Anchorage, AK
First Name
Levi
Last Name
McLaren
I’ve used an inReach. Both the old and Garmin version. I used them mostly for messaging, so I don’t have much experience with the mapping or tracking. They are a great device and could combine your PLB with your GPS instead of buying two different devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: