Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
How, what and why we eat what we eat is always complicated when you break it down. I prefer "vegan-arian", and can't say I'm 100% 24/7 plant-based eater, but I try. The occasional butter or cheese does work it's way in, and sometimes I'll see eggs on the ingredients list of something I like. A friend of mine grew up vegan on a commune, so it's interesting to see how they view food. "We just didn't eat any animal products because it's not something you did/do" as a way to grow up with food is fascinating to me. Much the same way as eating meat seemed "normal" to me, except we didn't eat all meat like dogs or cats or people meat, just some meat like cows and pigs and chickens usually. A friend mentioned once that, "I don't expect others to feed me, how I feed myself". So if I find myself someplace and they offer me something that's not vegan-arian, I'll still eat it as a courtesy for their generosity.

Anyway back on topic. I generally grill up some veggies with Beyond Hot Italian sausages, or if I'm wanting burgers I'll use the Beyond meat with some Lipton french onion soup mix as a seasoning. I've also made fruit cobbler in my dutch oven using Bisquik and water as the dough. That's super delicious.
We have used Just Egg a few times on camping trips. The liquid works great for "scrambled" eggs or omlets, the frozen works great for "egg" english muffins.

Haven't done burgers from scratch for so long I forgot about the lipton french onion soup trick. Going to have to remember that next time I do Beyond Burgers. Thanks for the reminder.

We have been Whole Food Plant Based for a couple of years now. Majority of my lab reports have come down. Arthritis pain has greatly reduced. Yes I still miss meat / dairy at times but I would rather live the couple of extra months or years WFPB will bring.

Reactions: Speric

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
For breakfasts, I like to make burritos with soy-rizo and just eggs scrambled together, with potatoes, beans, salsa fresca, and sliced avocado. I also like the So-Delicious or Good Planet chedder shreds.

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
For breakfast, lunch and dinner "eggs" we use crumbled tofu seasoned with a noosh and black salt mixture(a few other things as well). Add it to fried potatoes, mushrooms, onions and peppers. Delicious! One of my favourite meals. The tofu gives it a scrambled egg texture and the noosh and black salt mixture adds the taste and smell of egg.

Reactions: jeepdog33

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
We have used Just Egg a few times on camping trips. The liquid works great for "scrambled" eggs or omlets, the frozen works great for "egg" english muffins.

Haven't done burgers from scratch for so long I forgot about the lipton french onion soup trick. Going to have to remember that next time I do Beyond Burgers. Thanks for the reminder.

We have been Whole Food Plant Based for a couple of years now. Majority of my lab reports have come down. Arthritis pain has greatly reduced. Yes I still miss meat / dairy at times but I would rather live the couple of extra months or years WFPB will bring.
Do you consider Just Eggs, Lipton Soup and Beyond Meat to be Whole Foods?

Most vegans I know eat the most processed foods imaginable. As long as it is vegan it is "good".

Reactions: MazeVX and cug

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army

Most vegans I know eat the most processed foods imaginable. As long as it is vegan it is "good".
Nope I don't. But it is a way of eating not a religion. Those foods listed are fun sometimes treats not a matter of course.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT

Nope. the only thing I really consider "whole foods" are fresh fruits/veggies and whole grains. I don't even consider animal meat as "whole food", unless you caught and killed it yourself, since that too is heavily processed by the factory farms and slaughterhouses.

Vegan or vegetarian does not necessarily equal "good" or "healthy" as a lot of people assume. Oreos are vegan, definitely not healthy.

jeepdog33

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Kat
Last Name
Burns
Member #

Any vegan overlanders out there? We’ve been vegan over 10 years and yes, still alive and healthy. Just want to see if anyone has any go to dishes while out camping is all.
Hey Surfscottydog… fellow vegan here - 50+ years!
I‘m currently planning a long (1-2 years) Photo Project overland trip, to start around March. Am considering doing a load of homemade meals that I will then dehydrate or freeze dry, that will be reconstituted on the road.

Sorry for some of the comments here. Seems we will never escape the cognitive dissonance, no matter where we are.