Vegan

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Montréal, Quebec, Canada
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Monte
Any vegan overlanders out there? We’ve been vegan over 10 years and yes, still alive and healthy. Just want to see if anyone has any go to dishes while out camping is all.
I am (I might eat clams or mussels or maybe meat about to be thrown out but I always boycott all animal products) but I doubt I'll be in the US anytime soon

Contributor I

Montréal, Quebec, Canada
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Monte
A vegan that eats shellfish and spoiling meat? I am fairly sure that is VERY far from being "Vegan".
1)IMHO the scientific community is wrong about their stance that only humans are self aware. I'm pretty sure that shellfish are not self aware as they don't even have a central nerve bundle.

2) if everyone only ate meat that was about to be thrown out all the cattle farmers would be forced to become vegetable and fruit farmers and people like me would be happy.

I'm sorry that my label isn't a term that you can understand

Happy trails,
Nick

Contributor I

Miles City, Custer County, Montana, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Slatton
A vegan that eats shellfish and spoiling meat? I am fairly sure that is VERY far from being "Vegan".
1)IMHO the scientific community is wrong about their stance that only humans are self aware. I'm pretty sure that shellfish are not self aware as they don't even have a central nerve bundle.

2) if everyone only ate meat that was about to be thrown out all the cattle farmers would be forced to become vegetable and fruit farmers and people like me would be happy.

Happy trails,
Nick
You obviously know nothing about cattle production. The land that sustains cattle mostly can’t grow fruit or crops, but it grows grass that can sustain cattle just fine. Corn is the most lucrative crop to grow because corn is used for everything from food to fuel. If it were about money they would grow corn and make a whole lot more money with less work. Cattle producers don’t raise cattle because it’s lucrative, they do it because they love it, and there’s a large international market for beef. And as far as your argument of people only eating meat that was about to be thrown away. That would only put a short delay in the market. Markets would just wait until it was about to go bad before putting it on the market.

And let’s say your pipe dream of no one eating beef happens. What happens to all of those cows the ranchers are currently raising? The ranch I work at runs 700 cow/calf pairs. That’s 1400 head not counting the bulls. What happens to them to make room for crop production? Animal rights activists don’t think through the solution all the way. If the land is needed for crops, that it won’t grow, where are the cattle going? Are they killed off to make room? Are they just turned loose and let nature take its ugly course? There’s no magic button to make the land grow corn, or wheat, or Barley, Oats, or anything for that matter. You’re solution only creates more problems. And there’s no magic button to make everyone in the world see things as you do. I eat beef because it is great and it supports my local economy, and keeps me and my wife employed. Sorry, but you’re woefully naive to how the real world works. I’m not trying to be disrespectful, and I apologize if I came off that way. I am just trying to educate you that the problem is a lot more complicated than stop doing A and start doing B. You are free to eat what you choose as is everyone else. You are not free to demand others conform and change their way of life to meet your ideals. I apologize again if this offends.

Contributor I

Montréal, Quebec, Canada
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Monte

Happy trails,
Nick
You obviously know nothing about cattle production. The land that sustains cattle mostly can’t grow fruit or crops, but it grows grass that can sustain cattle just fine. Corn is the most lucrative crop to grow because corn is used for everything from food to fuel. If it were about money they would grow corn and make a whole lot more money with less work. Cattle producers don’t raise cattle because it’s lucrative, they do it because they love it, and there’s a large international market for beef. And as far as your argument of people only eating meat that was about to be thrown away. That would only put a short delay in the market. Markets would just wait until it was about to go bad before putting it on the market.

And let’s say your pipe dream of no one eating beef happens. What happens to all of those cows the ranchers are currently raising? The ranch I work at runs 700 cow/calf pairs. That’s 1400 head not counting the bulls. What happens to them to make room for crop production? Animal rights activists don’t think through the solution all the way. If the land is needed for crops, that it won’t grow, where are the cattle going? Are they killed off to make room? Are they just turned loose and let nature take its ugly course? There’s no magic button to make the land grow corn, or wheat, or Barley, Oats, or anything for that matter. You’re solution only creates more problems. And there’s no magic button to make everyone in the world see things as you do. I eat beef because it is great and it supports my local economy, and keeps me and my wife employed. Sorry, but you’re woefully naive to how the real world works. I’m not trying to be disrespectful, and I apologize if I came off that way. I am just trying to educate you that the problem is a lot more complicated than stop doing A and start doing B. You are free to eat what you choose as is everyone else. You are not free to demand others conform and change their way of life to meet your ideals. I apologize again if this offends.
First of all I found you to be very respectful this is the kind discussion that I enjoy.

I neglected to specify that if I eat meat I wouldn't pay for it (so this would almost never happen) unless I made a mistake ordering at a restaurant because no restaurant should have to pay for my mistake.

I would never force anyone to conform to my views, a vegan paradise can only happen if each person chooses that lifestyle - I've taken such a firm stance on this that I've decided to hunt for my wife in our near future.

You brought up a good point about the farms, to that point I don't think that the world would go vegan overnight. And yes I acknowledge that there would be some problems in re-allocating resources in the transition phase but I can't think of even one example in the history of time where a change for the better was painless for every single person

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
I suppose I am thoroughly not understanding the definition of "Vegan". I thought it was VERY simple. Don't eat animals and their by-products. The reason for having such a view has no bearing on the definition. I did not know that eating free meat, hunting for meat, and eating shellfish fell under that umbrella.

Reactions: MazeVX

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I suppose I am thoroughly not understanding the definition of "Vegan". I thought it was VERY simple. Don't eat animals and their by-products. The reason for having such a view has no bearing on the definition. I did not know that eating free meat, hunting for meat, and eating shellfish fell under that umbrella.

My wife has put together some kick butt vegan camping meals. Will see if she has some ideas.

We have cheated a little bit and used Just Egg for "egg" breakfast stuff and it worked incredibly well. Hard to find but works great.

Reactions: jeepdog33

static

Rank III

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

Has anybody tried this:

Might be a good MRE-type backup…

I’m not vegan, but I’m always looking for tasty ways to cut back on my consumption of animal products…

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Has anybody tried this:

Might be a good MRE-type backup…

I’m not vegan, but I’m always looking for tasty ways to cut back on my consumption of animal products…
Not yet, but I just order some! I'll post on here when we eat them. I'm also not vegan.

Reactions: Boort

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

My wife and I are both vegan. I like to just say I follow a plant based diet. I’m not one for labels. Been doing Vegetarian/Vegan for 20 years about. Wife has been since she was 14.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
The Huell Mexican bean one is ok. Had worse. Was better when I added some spices from the kitchen box. We have been WFPB for about 4ish years now. Prior to that my wife was Vegetarian and I ate everything.

We have been using Just Egg when camping. It is a nice egg substitute that helps when doing omelets, scrambled eggs, and French toast. Probably not the healthiest but nice for ease of use.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Shellfish have a neural net. Even sea urchins can have some interesting personalities. I've seen some of them try to camouflage themselves with leaves.

I try to eat meat that has been treated humanely, And I've cut back, a lot. Almost no pork or turkey. I don't see the ocean fishing industry as humane at all. Cattle can be humanly put down. And many of them live a life of luxury compared to what mother nature would provide.

Last edited:
Reactions: MazeVX and Arailt

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Not yet, but I just order some! I'll post on here when we eat them. I'm also not vegan.
also I have just ordered a four day kit form packit gourmet, and I will post when we eat those also.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
ive heard folk say that they dont eat meat because it "has a face" or has feelings. japanese scientists have done studies and showed plants to be aware and to have feelings as well, so not sure how that plays into things. i backed off of meat because of all the growth hormones and bullshit being pumped into cattle. going more heavy on eating vegetables made sense because there was less crap being done to plants. well, that is no longer a valid point and GMO crops are engineered to allow glyphosate (round up week killer) to be sprayed on them and not die. so now those plants have absorbed glyphosate and pass it on to us and have been causing health problems.

i dont look at my diet as being a badge of honor or a thing to virtue signal about...i'm just trying to find shit to eat that wont make me sick
(SPAM gets a pass because...well....its SPAM!) :grinning:

Last edited:
Reactions: Renaissance_Man

Overlanding Lawyer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Fayetteville, GA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Kirkbride
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1EOD
Service Branch
Army
Very interesting thread, I’m always interested in ideas if “normal” food was not or no,longer available.

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
We went plant based about a year ago now. I don't like the labels Vegan and vegetarian. They suggest opinions and attitudes I don't generally agree with. We did it simply for health reasons. The body simply can't deal with meat of any kind in the amounts generally consumed by most westerners. Since we made the leap I have been able to drop most of my medications. Anti inflammatory meds for my arthritis. Blood pressure meds and pain killers. As a byproduct I lost almost 60lbs and still going down. The wife has had very similar results.
Most meat production is very labour intensive and costly. There is almost nothing you get from animal product that you can't get from plants. A couple vitamins at best. It becomes pretty easy to convert once you find the recipes and methods of cooking and the results come quickly. Your body responds well when fed properly and starts to heal. Now, I'm not anti-meat and I will eat something on occasion but it doesn't take long until I realize the effect it takes. The body responds immediately.
If you are on more than one or two meds, have chronic pain and inflammation or you don't feel your general well being is what it should be I suggest you give it a try for a few weeks. I think you would be surprised.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
How, what and why we eat what we eat is always complicated when you break it down. I prefer "vegan-arian", and can't say I'm 100% 24/7 plant-based eater, but I try. The occasional butter or cheese does work it's way in, and sometimes I'll see eggs on the ingredients list of something I like. A friend of mine grew up vegan on a commune, so it's interesting to see how they view food. "We just didn't eat any animal products because it's not something you did/do" as a way to grow up with food is fascinating to me. Much the same way as eating meat seemed "normal" to me, except we didn't eat all meat like dogs or cats or people meat, just some meat like cows and pigs and chickens usually. A friend mentioned once that, "I don't expect others to feed me, how I feed myself". So if I find myself someplace and they offer me something that's not vegan-arian, I'll still eat it as a courtesy for their generosity.

Anyway back on topic. I generally grill up some veggies with Beyond Hot Italian sausages, or if I'm wanting burgers I'll use the Beyond meat with some Lipton french onion soup mix as a seasoning. I've also made fruit cobbler in my dutch oven using Bisquik and water as the dough. That's super delicious.

Reactions: eriefisher