Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Moreno Valley CA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Hernandez
Member #

Hello everyone. I would like opinions on variable rate vs constant rate. I have a 93 4Runner with a saggy butt and it is my daily driver. I'm a handyman so every once in a while I'll have a couple hundred pounds of material in the back, or occasionally pull a trailer. BUT for overlanding (which I'm brand new to) I wasn't sure about what springs to get. Should I do variable rate springs with airbags? Or a stiff constant?

Andy's IPhone

Reactions: 1derer

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

This is a very difficult question to help with... Overlanding is such a broad term with out knowing your goals and ambitions pointing you into a direction will be hard. Are you trying to maintain a decent on-road ride or a more off-road bisas? Do you plan to lift your truck (is it already lifted)? Plan to run bigger tires? Depending how serious you are getting in the rough stuff will change opinion.

Reactions: AndyHernandez1

AndyHernandez1

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Moreno Valley CA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Hernandez
Member #

I guess when I say overlanding, I mean going off road with some decent week on the vehicle. Again my vehicle is my daily driver on the road comfort is important to me but I don't want to sacrifice the off-road ride. I don't plan to lift it anytime soon, I have 31 inch tires and those suit me just fine for now. I've never had experience with replacing springs. I'm not concerned with the body roll because I don't drive very fast.

Andy's IPhone

AndyHernandez1

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Moreno Valley CA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Hernandez
Member #

I'd really suggest a medium rate OME spring about $170 pr they are a 2" lift but for that truck it will bring the back up nice for any load you put on the truck. If you replaced the springs all around I'd go medium in front and heavy in the back. Have a look here http://www.rocky-road.com/old-man-emu-4runner.html
Awesome! Thank you! I know I have more research to do but I was leaning towards the EMU setup.

Andy's IPhone

Reactions: 1derer

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

I have a 1995 4runner. The rear wasn't too saggy but I bought moog CC255's and they make it sit nice and level. You might want an extra inch or two to even out the load you haul and since the rear wheel wells sit a couple inches lower. Looking back I sort of wish I had just added bags inside the stock springs. I had some coil spacers for a while but I hated the back being so high with no load. Just adding bags would allow you full adjustability without having to have the back-to-front rake when unloaded. My .02

Sent from my SM-T560NU using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: AndyHernandez1