Vanity Call Signs! What does YOURS mean?

• HTML tutorial

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Good luck finding an available call.
Last time I looked the pickins were slim for 1x2 or 2x1 calls...

That said I consider my call sign a vanity call because it was easier to get extra than it was to fight with ULS and applying for vanity calls. It totally doesn't mean anything and my old call was one that was always misunderstood.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Last time I looked the pickins were slim for 1x2 or 2x1 calls...

That said I consider my call sign a vanity call because it was easier to get extra than it was to fight with ULS and applying for vanity calls. It totally doesn't mean anything and my old call was one that was always misunderstood.
Mine is a sequentially issued Advanced Class call. I’ve had it a spell.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

W6ORV

Off Road Vehicle

Now that I have my extra and can get a 1x2 I'm thinking of changing again. Plus my HF station isn't back up so this lapse in logging is a good time.
There are some 6 area 1x2 and 2x1 callsigns coming available in the next 30-45 days but it will be a crapshoot as everyone will be applying for them.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Ahhh, yes... It's kind of like the "deadpool" of the amateur radio world, waiting to see which 1x2 or 2x1 passes, or expires, next (and family doesn't claim it for 2 years).

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
W2IRT because I'm a fan of and have written a book on the New York City Subway system, where IRT stands for Interboro Rapid Transit--the numbered lines. My Canadian callsign is VE3THX, and I chose that because I was a motion picture projectionist for over 20 years, and the THX audio system was an amazing thing back in the day.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Didn´t know that you can get a vanity callsign a in exchange for an existing call from the FCC. Such a personalized call sign is a super cool thing. Here in Germany, we radio amateurs get our callsign on application from the so-called Federal Network Agency. The scheme of a callsign is fixed, you know that, country identifier, etc. But we can look at the application, which suitable callsigns are free and so I had the opportunity to get DO3BE. The last two digits, so BE, are the initials of my name.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew