Rank III

Enthusiast II

San Diego, California, United States
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Good day all. Looking for ideas for a trip I have combing up. Traveling from Virginia Beach VA to Stowe VT. Looking for a half way point to break up the drive and camp overnight before continuing. Either a short easy trail or a good campground. Thanks for any help as this is the maiden voyage of my new set up.

Scox1983

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Cox
Member #

I’m wondering if I’m asking the wrong question or is the East Coast not as heavily populated as the rest of the country. Getting crickets here as well as the East regional FB page. Any help would be appreciated as I am as green as they come. Thanks!!

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

It also depends on which route you want to take up to Vermont. There are many options. Also be aware of the quarantine restrictions coming into the tri state area (NY, NJ, CT). There are campgrounds by Dingmans Ferry PA. which is a scenic area, as well as along the Delaware River on the border of NY and PA. I do not know what is open at this point as far as camping goes, so I would recomend calling/booking before leaving. Going towards that route will also keep you farther away from the NYC metro area and is a few hours away from your destination.

Reactions: Scox1983

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
You may want to look at the trans NJ trail while you’re at it. There’s a thread on here with an updated gpx file. It’ll put you near camp sites around Wharton and the Nj/Pa border and it’s probably the most scenic way through NJ... although the scenic route is not going to be the fastest (the entire route takes 2 days).

Scox1983

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Cox
Member #

It also depends on which route you want to take up to Vermont. There are many options. Also be aware of the quarantine restrictions coming into the tri state area (NY, NJ, CT). There are campgrounds by Dingmans Ferry PA. which is a scenic area, as well as along the Delaware River on the border of NY and PA. I do not know what is open at this point as far as camping goes, so I would recomend calling/booking before leaving. Going towards that route will also keep you farther away from the NYC metro area and is a few hours away from your destination.

Thanks for the options, I will take a look. The quarantine is on my mind so I was trying to stay clear of that area for sure.

Scox1983

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Cox
Member #

You may want to look at the trans NJ trail while you’re at it. There’s a thread on here with an updated gpx file. It’ll put you near camp sites around Wharton and the Nj/Pa border and it’s probably the most scenic way through NJ... although the scenic route is not going to be the fastest (the entire route takes 2 days).
This sounds like a good option but I will have to check it out another time. Just looking for an overnight stop due to timing and don’t have two free days this trip. I will check it out for sure though.

Reactions: Dusther210

Americonium

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Member #

I don't know if you've left yet, but here's a pretty good halfway point. It's a pain inna butt to register, but you might find something nearby as well.

Scox1983

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Cox
Member #

The trip was amazing. Made it to Pete’s camp, from there we drove into Stowe, stayed for 3 days and then made our way to Maine. From there we drove to Boston, Upstate NY, then Manhattan to New Jersey. Found a great app, HipCamp, it’s like an Airbnb but for campers. Used it twice and both spots were great.

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

The Adirondacks and the Green Mountains are beautiful. Mt Mansfield up by Burlington is nice. Dont know if you happened through Woodstock VT, but from there you could head to White River Juntion and Queechee Gorge.

Looks like you had a nice trip