Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Jersey City, NJ, USA
First Name
adam
Last Name
borchardt
Member #

Thinking of doing a trip down to VA from NJ on the 2nd. Going through virginia and comming up through wv. No more than 4 days. If anyone has reccomendations or would like to join please let me know. Screenshot_20181224-181645_Gaia%20GPS.jpeg

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Do you have a better copy of the map or GPX I could load in google? I may be able to offer some options down in the Bath/ Highlands Co region.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Looks like you have most of the good stuff covered from H-Burg south from what I know of that area. I would like to spend some more time exploring up there this summer myself. Are you familiar with Flag Pole knob and the Union Springs trail?

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

Looks like you have most of the good stuff covered from H-Burg south from what I know of that area. I would like to spend some more time exploring up there this summer myself. Are you familiar with Flag Pole knob and the Union Springs trail?
I'd like to know about those if you're inclined to share.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'd like to know about those if you're inclined to share.
Both can get pretty crowded because of the amount of folks who know about it. The trail from Switzer Lake to the top of the mountain has one kinda rough spot but if you swing wide left, you'll miss most of it. There's also a water hole near the top that can get pretty deep when it's been raining. It's hard bottom and not much to it really.

The Union Springs side is usually not as crowded but has some more difficult obstacles. Nothing my open/open X has had any trouble with though. There are a few muddy spots on the way up that I personally avoid and a bunch of water holes on the trail that are just dirty water. There's places to camp all along the trail, this time of year I would try to avoid any of the ridge spots because of the temperature drop you get at those altitudes and pretty steady winds.

If you continue along from the field west, you'll come to Reddish Knob and the FS road that leads over to West Augusta. There's a BUNCH of camping along that road and even North River Campground that I spent a night in two years ago. There's fishing around that area as well.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

Both can get pretty crowded because of the amount of folks who know about it. The trail from Switzer Lake to the top of the mountain has one kinda rough spot but if you swing wide left, you'll miss most of it. There's also a water hole near the top that can get pretty deep when it's been raining. It's hard bottom and not much to it really.

The Union Springs side is usually not as crowded but has some more difficult obstacles. Nothing my open/open X has had any trouble with though. There are a few muddy spots on the way up that I personally avoid and a bunch of water holes on the trail that are just dirty water. There's places to camp all along the trail, this time of year I would try to avoid any of the ridge spots because of the temperature drop you get at those altitudes and pretty steady winds.

If you continue along from the field west, you'll come to Reddish Knob and the FS road that leads over to West Augusta. There's a BUNCH of camping along that road and even North River Campground that I spent a night in two years ago. There's fishing around that area as well.
Great info, thanks for sharing it.

Reactions: TerryD

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
Great info, thanks for sharing it.
I get back from Iceland the 4 Th I will be around the 5th if you are in the area may I can join you , I use to live about 10 min from trail head and spent many years in the area .

Reactions: TerryD

Dave Alvord

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Hagerstown, MD, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Alvord
I don't know how much you know about Green Ridge St. Forest, but there are many roads and trails that were wiped out with the flooding over the summer, and have been gated closed.... I play around up there A LOT and have a list as of 12/23/18 of roads closed by the park service:

CLIFF ROAD
OUTDOOR CLUB
CAT POINT
TWIGG / MAY RD
FRANK DAVIS RD
GORDON - have to enter from Mertens Ave.
CARROLL - closed past site 66
MOUNTAIN RD - closed past site 83
KASECAMP RD- high clearance vehicle needed

Adam Borchardt

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Jersey City, NJ, USA
First Name
adam
Last Name
borchardt
Member #

If anyone is interested. I just got another week off of work. So i might still be doing this this week if i can get my suspension alligned in time

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
So I'm not a fan of that Gaia basemap. Looks mostly like a route I worked out for myself a few years ago from Millboro north. The ride over to Lake Moomaw is mostly paved but it's nice over there. Not sure how much camping is open this time of year though.

If you come down this way, give me a shout. I'd love to meet-up somewhere. Maybe in Millboro and bring you down toward my place. There's a few more dirt tracks on that MABDR route that I'm very familiar with and know of a few nice roads that aren't on it.

init6Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shenandoah, VA, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
VDP
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBL679
VA OLB meet up, is a great idea... Maybe we could do a Google Meet Bi-Monthly and plan trips from there. Something that happens on the same time and meet every 2 weeks? Might be easier for such a huge state with members all over.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova