Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
I have a four day weekend coming up and I was thinking about driving down to either Uwharrie or Shenandoah for either backpacking or overlanding.

anyone have suggestions on if there are easy roads into either area that I could drive my relatively stock Tacoma and my Opus off road camper-trailerfor some off the grid- dispersed camping?

Ken B

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Cherryville, NC, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Bowen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Currently Studying
Not sure when your trip is, but you might want to do some additional research before deciding on Uhwarrie - portions are closed this time of year.

Andy J.

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Winston-Salem, NC
First Name
Andy
Last Name
J
The Uwharrie OHV trails don't open until March 30th. You should be able to traverse most of the trails in your stock Tacoma. One easy rule of thumb is that the 'difficult' trails all start with the letter D. Without the trailer, you could probably do every trail other than Daniel or maybe Dicky Bell. They have recently changed the rules about dispersed camping in the forest, so you may want to check with the Ranger's office on that one. There are a number of nice campsites though.

Reactions: Redbear

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
The Uwharrie OHV trails don't open until March 30th. You should be able to traverse most of the trails in your stock Tacoma. One easy rule of thumb is that the 'difficult' trails all start with the letter D. Without the trailer, you could probably do every trail other than Daniel or maybe Dicky Bell. They have recently changed the rules about dispersed camping in the forest, so you may want to check with the Ranger's office on that one. There are a number of nice campsites though.
Thanks for the info!