North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
Uwharrie National Forest is m home turf so to speak. I have been wheeling here since 1989... which dates back to before there were even a designated 4wd trails. Back then the trails were not crowded except during hunting season :-)
My youngest son, Joe, noticed that we had 4 33" mud tires in our pile of stuff behind the barn. They are mixed brands between cooper STT's and Maxxis bighorns, but he was determined that they should reside on our 2005 LJ Rubicon. So be it.

We mounted them this moring and like any good jeeper, we headed off to our local trails, rain and all. The North Carolina clay was in full effect, but after several years on all terrain tires, I was pleasantly reminded of my jeeping and rock crawling past as these MT treads hooked up nicely. While our older son and daughter grew up on the trails all over the southeast, things change and Joe has grown us on 85 acres in the woods that we find it hard to leave... so this was one of his first real wet, muddy, rocky trail rides. At 7 he is the perfect age to appreciate it... and also know that it is OK to take the time to build a dam on the rocks in the rain.

Call it wheeling, call it overlanding...whatever. This is what it is about for me - me and my kiddos out in it having fun... whatever that means at the moment.
Joe URE 2017.jpg Joe URE 2017 4.jpg
A great day indeed.

Reactions: Barton Fink

Landon Shaw

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Uwharrie National Forest is m home turf so to speak. I have been wheeling here since 1989... which dates back to before there were even a designated 4wd trails. Back then the trails were not crowded except during hunting season :-)
My youngest son, Joe, noticed that we had 4 33" mud tires in our pile of stuff behind the barn. They are mixed brands between cooper STT's and Maxxis bighorns, but he was determined that they should reside on our 2005 LJ Rubicon. So be it.

We mounted them this moring and like any good jeeper, we headed off to our local trails, rain and all. The North Carolina clay was in full effect, but after several years on all terrain tires, I was pleasantly reminded of my jeeping and rock crawling past as these MT treads hooked up nicely. While our older son and daughter grew up on the trails all over the southeast, things change and Joe has grown us on 85 acres in the woods that we find it hard to leave... so this was one of his first real wet, muddy, rocky trail rides. At 7 he is the perfect age to appreciate it... and also know that it is OK to take the time to build a dam on the rocks in the rain.

Call it wheeling, call it overlanding...whatever. This is what it is about for me - me and my kiddos out in it having fun... whatever that means at the moment.
View attachment 25361 View attachment 25362
A great day indeed.
I know this is an old post but I search uwharrie and found it. On Saturday the 12 at 9:30 am some of us are trying to meet there and do a little rigs and coffee thing and then some trail riding. I've gone a 5 or 6 times this summer since getting my jeep but it would be nice to have a veteran of the trails if your free to come.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

jscusmcvet

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
I know this is an old post but I search uwharrie and found it. On Saturday the 12 at 9:30 am some of us are trying to meet there and do a little rigs and coffee thing and then some trail riding. I've gone a 5 or 6 times this summer since getting my jeep but it would be nice to have a veteran of the trails if your free to come.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Well... I just sold the jeep and picked up a 2003 Tundra. Not even close to wheeling ready but I might be able to show some of the bunny trails. If you look on the thread for the meet up the info is correct, if you are not well built... that is skids, rocker protection, recovery points are a minimum... avoid the "Dirty D's" Dickey Bell, Daniel and Dutch John. Everything else is doable stock.

Reactions: Landon Shaw