Utility Trailer Expedition Project

• HTML tutorial

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

Well I gave in and bought a trailer today. I picked it up for $300 which I was happy about. Its roughly a 4x6 but very sturdy. It has a little rust but its all very minor so I think its a good starting point. I really liked the fenders and flat pieces around the fenders already being welded on.

My first project with it will be taking off the risers/wood sides in preparation for using it to some light use this summer. I might also make a vinyl cover with eyeholes and bolt in some tie downs to secure it on the sides.

Need to do:
  • Fix lights
  • Flip axle
  • Spare tire (til axle swap)
  • New axle with 6 lug pattern to match 4Runner
  • New frame
  • Convert to coupler hitch
  • Make a lid or cover

Whatcha think so far?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rivalicon and Arnel

Arnel

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lynnwood, WA
Member #

sweet! ive been thinking about doing the same thing, but all of the ones i've found in that price range either didn't have a title or were in pretty bad shape. Why not swap hubs on the trailer instead of purchasing a new one? but if you do end up getting a new axle let me know if the old one goes on the market!

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

sweet! ive been thinking about doing the same thing, but all of the ones i've found in that price range either didn't have a title or were in pretty bad shape. Why not swap hubs on the trailer instead of purchasing a new one? but if you do end up getting a new axle let me know if the old one goes on the market!
To be honest I havent looked into what it would take to remove the hubs and put on a 6 lug pattern yet. Also being that its an older trailer im not sure of the exact condition of the axle. It drives smooth but past that im not sure.

If your looking for something like a M416 I know of someone selling one locally for $1000 that has a vinyl cover and already has all the maintenance done.

Arnel

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lynnwood, WA
Member #

There's an m116a close to me for about $400 that ive been eye balling, but would love to find something with metal sides.

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

There's an m116a close to me for about $400 that ive been eye balling, but would love to find something with metal sides.
Well you could always add them to it and then reconfigure however big you want the interior to be.

Arnel

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lynnwood, WA
Member #

i was pricing out metal to build metal sides and decided i'd try to find one with sides haha. Theres one up north in Tulalip thats similar to yours and its been sitting for a while, so i think i might ask the owner if they want to sell it.

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

i was pricing out metal to build metal sides and decided i'd try to find one with sides haha. Theres one up north in Tulalip thats similar to yours and its been sitting for a while, so i think i might ask the owner if they want to sell it.
Always worth a shot to ask. I definitely wanted something smaller so it was easy to haul.

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

To be honest I havent looked into what it would take to remove the hubs and put on a 6 lug pattern yet. Also being that its an older trailer im not sure of the exact condition of the axle. It drives smooth but past that im not sure.

If your looking for something like a M416 I know of someone selling one locally for $1000 that has a vinyl cover and already has all the maintenance done.
If you haven't already, buy it, the are running $2500.00

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk