Psfracer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Fercho
Utah trip this week. Home base is a campsite outside of Hanksville, Utah. On the agenda is:
* Moon Overlook
* Temple of the Sun & Moon - Cathedral Valley
* Long Dong Silver spire
*Valley of the Gods
*Monument Valley
*Potash road to Shaffer switchbacks - Canyonlands / Dead Horse Point State Park

Last edited:

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I went to Utah last summer right about this time. Am thinking of going again within the next year to this very area. I am wondering if the weather is better in May (it was pretty hot last year, in the mid to upper 80s) or in the September/October time frame. Any suggestions?

Also, can you drive out to that spire?

Reactions: Psfracer

Psfracer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Fercho
I went to Utah last summer right about this time. Am thinking of going again within the next year to this very area. I am wondering if the weather is better in May (it was pretty hot last year, in the mid to upper 80s) or in the September/October time frame. Any suggestions?

Also, can you drive out to that spire?
So far its been windy in the late afternoon, but calm in mornings to early afternoon and evenings. Temps have been in the high 70s. I hate the wind in the desert, so rough on camera equipment if you are not careful.

Early October I thought was good for anything around Moab area. Trying May this year and so far its worked out pretty well.

Everywhere I am going needs to be accessible by off road trial as the wifee broke her ankle rock climbing a few months back so going to places where the walk to “XYZ” is pretty close.

Reactions: Tundracamper

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

So far its been windy in the late afternoon, but calm in mornings to early afternoon and evenings. Temps have been in the high 70s. I hate the wind in the desert, so rough on camera equipment if you are not careful.

Early October I thought was good for anything around Moab area. Trying May this year and so far its worked out pretty well.
Yeah, I think the temps last May were a little higher than normal. I did find some reprieve at higher elevations. However, I’d like to go back and play in areas north of Manti-La Sal. I think I need to wait until fall as I can experience plenty of heat at home!

Psfracer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Fercho
Today we went to Dead Horse Point State Park first, to look down on the road we were going to take (Shaffer Swtichbacks to Potash Road). Then to Canyonlands NP, where we hit the Shaffer Switchbacks first, heading down. Did that so the pics would come out better as we were doing this in late afternoon, and I wanted the sun at our backs. In the first pic you can clearly see the road in front of Dead Horse Point and then the road heading up into Canyonlands NP - can’t see the switchbacks though. Great day, very light wind and in the 70s. I really liked this trail. A little exposure in the switchbacks and in a couple turns I had to do a 3 point turn due to my vehicle being a full size, but otherwise totally awesome scenery and an easy trial to navigate.

FD8379FE-A23D-4523-BC4F-6DE07FBD6C0A.jpeg

D0D5698B-468A-405C-9CCC-835027E3368D.jpeg

063E7D74-1DE9-4BEF-BD67-74AC4D1CFCA3.jpeg

8872D09E-E325-4621-AC5B-09A102B3DA70.jpeg

49819B72-3590-4345-971C-E6F47AA93AA5.jpeg

C13F44A0-62DD-467A-90AD-84B017A7BF0B.jpeg

As mentioned, there was only two turns where I needed to do a 3 point - here is one of them pictured (iPhone through windshield)

C1057579-2FCF-4BD2-A9F9-4333A4AD6B23.jpeg

Last edited:

Psfracer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Fercho
So two days ago we went to Valley of the Gods - some great camping possibilities in there. Didn’t make it to Monument Valley. Here is a Milky Way shot from the campsite last night. Central and Southern Utah skies are dark and great for Astrophotography.

D027F75D-F919-41C3-8068-5258D3F1EF85.jpeg