First Name
Ian
Last Name
Biggers
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1NMW
Hi All,
I have a 2005 F-150 that I just put a used cap onto. I would like to wire the lights for the cap (and add additional lighting) from the overhead rear light on the cab of the truck. The reason for this, is I want the lights in the cap to come on when I use the cargo light switch on the dash. The question I have is, what do you think the best way to run the wire from the cab to the cap? I want to keep things as weather proof as possible. I am not opposed to drilling, I just want to make sure that I do it right. Has anyone done this on another vehicle? Thanks!
-Ian N1NMW

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

The wires going to that light might not be strong enough to run more lights off of them. I would suggest running new wires and a switch into the cab if you want to activate them from the cab.

aahyut

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bridgton, ME
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Biggers
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1NMW
It's already done and works great.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

The point Jeff made is valid. The circuit was designed to carry a specific load. If you increase it by adding multiple bulbs you could have issues in time. If the original rear cab light was a standard bulb you could swap it for LED and add additional LED bulbs in the topper and stay within the designed load of the circuit.

aahyut

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bridgton, ME
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Biggers
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1NMW
That is what I did, I wanted the overhead light in the cap to turn on when the dome light was turned on in the cab. If I additional lighting I'll likely run a new set of wires.