• HTML tutorial

KaizerWilhelm

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle, WA
Member #

Hey y'all,

New to overloading, so forgive my admittedly naive question.

Looking into navigation and linking to my iPhone or iPad, I see that a lot of people are using the Delorme InReach Explorer. While super nice and new, totally out of my price range at $300. I am seeing used Garmin GPS for under $100 on Craigslist.

What are people's thoughts about purchasing one of theses and the ability to link them to my iPhone/iPad for navigation? Is it even possible with older units? If it is possible, how do I do it (Bluetooth, wifi, cable...?)

Thanks!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
How old? What model? How much internal storage?

If more than 5 years it probably will be too slow to be effective. It really depends on the apps you use. I have a 4 year old iPad that still works with Gaia well. It was the fastest available at the time. If the iPad doesn't have the cellular chip then you do need an external GPS. Dual GPS works well.

Search the existing threads on apps and external gps devices so advice and information doesn't get scattered about.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
@1Louder I think @KaizerWilhelm wants to use an older handheld Garmin GPS to act as the GPS for a non-GPS iPad. I'm not positive, but I don't think that will work.
Oops... Yeah. I guess the questions still apply.. What model..... :) I shouldn't attempt to multi-task.

The device will need to have Bluetooth to connect to your iPad. Start there.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Looking at a Garmin eTrex. No Bluetooth...i suppose I'll keep looking!
This works and is under $100 new.
Dual Electronics XGPS150A Multipurpose Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver with Wide Area Augmentation System and Portable Attachment

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
That's what I use and so far it works great. Had a little trouble getting it to link up the first time, but I hear that's not unusual.

JKScofield

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

17812 Regentview Ave. Bellflower, Ca 90706
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Scofield
Member #

^^x2

I bought a non-cellular iPad mini and have it mounted via RAM mount to the dash. The Dual is mounted above and passenger side of the rear view... I had to get power up there for USB to charge it, but it all works like a champ!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Homeguy