Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Hey All,

Does anyone use a generator while overland camping? Is it actually useful for anything other than appliances, tv's etc?

Reason I ask, is my family may be selling our tent trailer in the near future and I have a Yamaha EF1000 Generator I can't decide if I should keep or sell also.

Thanks for your feedback,
M

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
You can always sell it later but it’s hard to find a good used one. Hang on to it for a while and see if you have a good use for it. If it hasn’t been used in 18mo. then sell it.

Reactions: ArmyofMike

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I have an inverter in my Jeep for some electrical appliances (I've ran an electric chain saw off of It! [emoji23]) so the generator seems overkill. Unless I have a good reason, I can't think why I should keep it. It has been sitting in my garage for months and the only last time I used it was in July. Even then,....i didn't use it at camp on the trailer as the battery stayed full long enough. Dunno...

ArmyofMike OB#7890

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I usually do a little more than just camping but I have an old Honda 1000 watt I use for running fishing/camping lights and charging big batteries with an automotive battery charger. The generator frees up the deep cycle for the water pump, bait aerators and a small 80 watt inverter used for small LED work lights, phone chargers, etc.

I've also used my generator for people who ran their batteries out.

It is easier to sell a reliable generator than it is to buy a good one.

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Hi Mike, I say keep it. Gave my Honda eu1000 to my dad and wish I would have kept it. I also had a Kawasaki 650w like new and gave it away also and regret that as well. I have a travel trailer and use my eu3000 for it. A smaller one just comes in handy at times.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

While LED lights and battery technology has changed things, I'd agree with others, keep it, but more for around the house and less for on the trail.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

A genny is a great piece of emergency kit, but I have to echo the "keep it at home" crowd. I don't really enjoy the sound of someone's generator when I'm camping, even in a developed campground where there's always more noise. Kids yelling and birds chirping is fine, generators rumbling is less pleasant.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Keep it Yamaha makes great generators/inverters, their engine life expectancy is twice that of a Honda. I have the 2000 and we use it camping all the time. SUPER quiet. Never know when you will need it for and emergency. Ours just ran nonstop for 2 weeks after Irma down here in Florida and was a true lifesaver

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Thanks all for the advice. I will hold onto it for now. I don't think I need it camping, but will keep for emergency. I figured I could sell it for 300-400 and make some Jeep monies. I couldn't imagine carrying it for boondocking camping trips with only my Jeep and tent. For the tent trailer, it was useful, but if we sell the trailer, the generator will more than likely collect dust.

arroyobass

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lancaster, CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6TLW
I had been considering getting a small generator to run a heated blanket for very cold camping during the winter. Put the generator outside and run a long extension cable to the back of the truck and keep warm and cozy!

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
A
Ditch it, go with a solar generator, no noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed...Go with solar for the minimal power needs (cell phone, navigation, etc.). Not that I am against a generator, just not in the backcountry. When we are overlanding, we do it like we did back in the day when we still backpacked into the mountains. Keep the generator, you'll never get enough to make it worth selling IMHO.

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

A solar setup with a decent deep cycle would probably work for a 12v electric blanket. It’d probably be a lot cheaper than a generator and be silent too.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Probably not cheaper initially, especially if you go the lithium route, but that’s definitely the better route from an overall perspective, ie, more portable, no noise, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk