USGI MSS ~ Bivy Bag

• HTML tutorial
E

expeditionnorth

USGI MSS aka modular sleep system

I know we all have vehicles that can carry us & every item we want including the kitchen sink where we want, but why do we burden ourselves with such a heavy load one must ask

long before I became interested into what is referred to as "overlanding" & what I did all my life (which now has a name), I was very active outdoors...

...Bought this a few years back before my injury

you have the gortex bivy bag, the summer 30* bag & the 10* bag

the advantages are:

its self contained, throw the MSS 2 part bag in there & you're good down to -30*

components can be used together or alone as needed

waterproof & breathable

cons:
heavy around 3lbs (bivy alone)+ & rolls up into a 9"X6" cylinder in a stuff sack (alone)

& all 3 pieces are even worse in the USGI stuff sack approx 12"X18"

I personally never tried it out, my son begged me one winter night to use it

at the time only the woodland camo was available as surplus, now the digital camo is available as well

I checked on him during the middle of the night on the back patio deck..he claimed he was sleeping fine until I woke him :blush:

here's a pic I found to give you an idea of the system

no need to carry heavy bulky tents, awning etc, crawl in & go to sleep; keep the load minimal & have the gear serve double duty

BlackDogTundra

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

I have one of those, it rocks.  If you check the laundry care instructions sewn at the foot/base of the black bag, I think it says the complete system is rated to -50 degrees!

iamout

Rank III
Founder 500

Advocate II

That is how I do it. my  80 is ready to go all the time. just a quick stop at the supermarket and gas station and Adios Amigos.

I have a NorthFace bag. I love it! No blankets, nada.

@administrator

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

I have a room full of bags hanging from rafters in mesh laundry bags, the MSS is a sweet system, more so for the price. Its bulky, but it does work. I also have 4 similar Wiggys setups. The Wiggys mummy bags are designed around the MSS bivy as well, and have have bid on making the MSS a few times. The Wiggys, are available in a wide and long version as well, The bags zip together the same way and have better zipper baffles I feel. The material is thicker so you do not blow out the foot box either like the MSS had issues with. Before owning my Xterra, I did everything on foot, so a MSS and Wiggys were no goes since they are so big and heavy. Upgraded to Kifaru bags (0 and 20 slick bags). For sleeping bags, these are the bees knee. I have been out in -20f in them and slept just fine in a tent. My friends in a older trailer slept like crap since the heater couldn't keep up and they only had cheaper 40F coleman bags from walmart. So my 5lb setup (bags and tent) was better than their trailer for 2 nights. Then the weather warmed and all was fine.

Now I will only go to ground if it is predicted to be below 0F. I have one set of hammock insulation rated to -10 and have came close to that temp and slept like bug in rug. Since I go outdoor solo 90% of the time, the one man hammock is where it is. In the ceiling net of the xterra I keep a Hill People Gear Serape, serves multiple uses. Use it as a blanket in the winter when the truck is warming up and we are going somewhere (my daughter keeps it on the back seat winter long) or during sport/ racing events. Been out camping and temps dropped unexpectedly or if on a peak, you can toss it over you like a poncho liner (also will zip into a great coat that is great for cold mornings camping). and is a half zip 30* sleeping bag. I use it constantly during the hunts and also sport their kit bag as well. Once you get one, you will wonder why you did not hear about them earlier. I have 3 and in the winter time, my daughter wakes up and tosses it over her and watches TV, or lays in the lovesac with it. If you have not seem them, its worth tossing one in your truck along with a poncho of your choice, your set for most conditions and incidents.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/ProductID/19/Default.aspx

EDIT to add, I went with the heavier serape over a Kifaru woobie express since it has a hood and zipper. But the kifaru woobie is also great and only weights 1lb, I have 2 older woobies (not express hole head models) from them that are well used and keep going.