Used Tacoma Market

• HTML tutorial

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Thats one of the reasons I bought new. We looked at a 2011 with 60,000 miles on it, and it was O.K., but my wife was bothered by the way it drove. It didn't self center well at all, probably due to large wheels and tires in conjunction with not aligning properly. Not much of a big deal, I could have corrected the issue fairly easy I am sure, but they wanted 29,000$ for it. Well, we decided to look at new ones, and we got a new one for 39,000$.
So, ya.
It is good to know it holds its value if we ever decide to get rid of it, but unless Toyota brings the Diesel, I don't think that will happen.
Oh ya. I wanna add that we looked at that truck in December, and today it is still sitting on that lot.

PNWExplore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bend Oregon
Member #

I paid some good money for my Tacoma, but that is expected here in Oregon. It is a 2002 with only 80,500 miles on it and is literally in perfect condition.

Reactions: bigskypylot

JLangsdorf

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

I used the autotempest search engine to keep a near constant watch for a decent deal on a used Tacoma. Found a 2012 access cab, 55k miles, TRD off-road, aftermarket bumpers and winch installed, at a really good price. Had to drive 400 miles to pick it up but worth the effort.

Reactions: bigskypylot

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

The used truck market is bonkers in general.
After rebates and incentives you can almost always get a new one for cheaper than a 3-4 year old model.
I swear the dealers inflate the used market to support the NEW market.

I wouldn't buy a used truck with 30,000 miles on it just to save a few K.

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

I looked at Taco's real hard, but the Hemi won in the end.

The money was about the same.
I had 2 of those. '05 then '10 The Mexicans are building a real good Motor. I didn't have any problems with that engine. And the 05 got the same MPG I'm getting with my Taco, and the '10 got better.LOL.
If FIAT didn't own Chrysler now, I probably would have gotten another.
BUT, If Id a done that, Id be in the same boat I was with the '10. Scared to take it off road cause I didn't want to mess up my pretty truck. LOL.

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I found shopping for my Tacoma to be pretty stressful. I was finding older 2nd gen Tacomas with 50k on them going for around $24,000. But they were 2 hours away, not the color I wanted, and sometimes not the package I wanted (TRD Off-Road). I ended up paying $4,000 more than I wanted for a TRD Off-Road that I found local, was the color I wanted, and only had 24k miles.

I was tempted by a Nissan Frontier Pro 4X that was at the same dealership. But after a test drive, I knew I wouldn't be happy. The smell of the leather interior was funky, and it didn't seem to handle as well on the road as the Tacoma. But it definitely had a peppy motor that wanted to go.

The author of that article mentions that one could purchase a brand new Chevy Colorado for $5,500 off MSRP. But that money is probably also instantly translated to resale value as well. It is interesting though how many people pay very close to MSRP for a Toyota Tacoma, while other manufacturers deeply discount off the MSRP.

T

The Raven

It's crazy how expesive they are, I was getting reamed at the dealer the other day on a tire rotation and took a look at the new tacos...$45K good god how do people buy those outright?

Reactions: dziner

The Klumps

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fenton, Missouri
Member #

The price of the midsized pickup has more than double since my last new purchase in 03, I got a new 03 S-10 ZR2 for $18k
If you want 4X4, off road package and bigger tires it starts at around $36k now.

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app

It's utterly bonkers how well they hold their value, but good deals do come along. I picked up my 2005 with 165k miles on it for $9.5k. Has a brand new frame replaced under recall along with a bunch of other new goodies. While 9.5k sounds like a fair price, this truck should have sold for $12k-$14k, so I'm not complaining at all. Did a few hundred bucks worth of preventative maintenance when I brought it home, and now it runs like a top.