Use of Radios While Driving (California)

• HTML tutorial

Bill S

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Castro Valley, CA
Member #

On January 1, 2017, a revised version of California Vehicle Code Section 23123.5 went into effect. This change required that wireless telephones and electronic wireless communication devices had to be mounted to the dashboard or center console, AND be operated with a single swipe or tap of the driver's finger.

As written, the language could have resulted in a citation for using a HAM/CB/GMRS radio while driving. This was a significant change from the prior version of the law. Previously, these types of radio operations were exempted.

Naturally, this caused a great deal of concern amongst the various radio communities. A flurry of communications with legislators resulted, revealing that the elimination of the exemption was accidental and unintended. The authoring legislator's office agreed to put this information into the legislative intent notes and work on having the legislation modified to again include the exemption. Progress indeed, but this still left radio operators potentially exposed to getting a ticket for using their radio.

Now for the good news.

On March 28, the CHP issued a statewide directive (copy below) that specifies that use of radios with a wired microphone do not fall under this law and is not subject to enforcement. The directive does not apply to local police or sheriffs, but tactfully providing some education via a copy of the directive would probably go a long way towards avoiding an opportunity to discuss the violation in traffic court.

73 and Safe Travels

~Bill/N6SGT

Below is the "cut and paste" of the CHP directive.

Enforcement of Section 23123.5 of the California Vehicle Code Hands Free Law

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 8:23 AM
To: @CHP
Subject: Comm-Net: Enforcement of Section 23123.5 of the California Vehicle Code

Enforcement of Section 23123.5 of the California Vehicle Code

To: All Commands
Reference: Action Required
Subject: Enforcement of Section 23123.5 of the California Vehicle Code

Effective January 1, 2017, Section 23123.5 of the California Vehicle Code (CVC) was amended by Assembly Bill 1785, which substantially expanded the scope of Section 23123.5 CVC, from simply prohibiting the use of a wireless phone to text while driving, to prohibiting holding and operating a handheld wireless telephone or an electronic wireless communications device while driving.

However, a driver may still use a handheld wireless telephone or an electronic wireless communication device while driving when:

The handheld wireless communication device is mounted to a windshield (in compliance with Section 26708 CVC), dashboard, or center console in a manner which does not interfere with the drivers view of the road, and;

The drivers hand is used to activate or deactivate a feature with a single tap or swipe of the drivers finger.

Pursuant to Section 23123.5(f) CVC, the definition of an electronic wireless communications device includes, but is not limited to: a broadband personal communication device, a specialized mobile radio device, a handheld device or laptop computer with mobile data access, a pager, or a two-way messaging device.

Section 23123.5 CVC does not apply to manufacturer-installed systems which are embedded in the vehicle, nor does it apply to an emergency services professional using a wireless telephone while operating an authorized
Emergency vehicle, in the course and scope of employment.

For the purposes of Section 23123.5(f) CVC, a radio installed and mounted in a vehicle with a wired hand microphone (e.g., business band or citizen band [CB]radio) is not considered a wireless communication device, nor is it considered a specialized mobile radio device, and therefore is not subject to enforcement under this section.

This information will be added to an upcoming revision to Highway Patrol Manual 100.68, Traffic Enforcement Policy Manual, Chapter 5, Other Enforcement Issues.

CHP Headquarters/Office of the Commissioner/061/18227

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
Thanks for the update. I think that this is very good news. Only time will tell how this new law is eventually enforced by the various law enforcement agencies in the state. As you write yourself, the directive does not apply to local police or sheriffs .....yet.

Bill S

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Castro Valley, CA
Member #

Thanks for the update. I think that this is very good news. Only time will tell how this new law is eventually enforced by the various law enforcement agencies in the state. As you write yourself, the directive does not apply to local police or sheriffs .....yet.
Agreed. You would win in court between this directive and the legislative intent notes, but who needs the hassle.

~Bill

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Thanks for the clarification and good news. Sometimes each authority enforces to their own understanding, from the people I know in law enforcement, they tell me if they need a reason to pull you over they'll find one.
That said it would be prudent to have a copy of this to politely show if you have been pulled over to show that you are an educated user, along with a copy of your ham license.
Still, if they WANT to give you a citation they will.
...but if that is the case, you probably deserve it![emoji2]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app

KYRenegade858

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Nicholasville, KY
Member #

If there isn't an exemption for radios, then the Police should not be allowed to use them either. Also IIRC, the FCC will go to bat legally for any Ham Radio operator that is cited under this law. At the same time it would be kind of interesting to see the Feds go after California over this law and any local LEO organization that wants to write the ticket out for a Ham that "violates" it....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using OB Talk mobile app

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
If there isn't an exemption for radios, then the Police should not be allowed to use them either. Also IIRC, the FCC will go to bat legally for any Ham Radio operator that is cited under this law. At the same time it would be kind of interesting to see the Feds go after California over this law and any local LEO organization that wants to write the ticket out for a Ham that "violates" it....

Exactly, this stupid law was not thought through very well. Fire & Police would be breaking the law every day.. As they do not get any special training on how to talk on a radio other than the alphanumeric characters Adam - Zebra, & 10-4, etc...

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I think you guys are a little off base on emergency personell using radios, if I am in a life threatening situation I want the police, EMT's or fireman to be able to communicate. And by the way all three are trained in tactical driving before they can be certified to do their jobs.

Bill S

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Castro Valley, CA
Member #

There

There already are exemptions in the vehicle code for emergency services personnel (police, fire, EMS) to use radios (and cell phones).

I wouldn't count on the FCC providing any assistance to a licenses operator cited under these circumstances. While the Federal Government encourages the use of mobile amateur radio, it doesn't authorize it. See http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-weighs-in-on-new-california-driving-while-wireless-statute . It's going to be a moot point however, since the law will likely be revised to eliminate the ambiguity, and we have the legislative notes and CHP directive in the meantime.

Reactions: Sean S

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I think you guys are a little off base on emergency personell using radios, if I am in a life threatening situation I want the police, EMT's or fireman to be able to communicate. And by the way all three are trained in tactical driving before they can be certified to do their jobs.
Oh, I loved the tactical driving part at the Academy, but I must have missed the day on driving while on the radio or laptop. There is no class for those and it is just something that you learn while on the job. I have seen and I know that every department has had at least 1 vehicle accident (minor or major) due to officers talking on the cell phone, 2-way or being on the MDT and hit something. Heck, I even know officers who have fallen asleep at the wheel at a stop sign and rolled into a ditch or worse ran over something next to the roadway. Also, they are not only on the devices during emergencies...

Reactions: RockyMountaineer

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

Use of radios for communications yup good thread, now let's shift gears just a bit. CHP recently revised their actions regarding radio usage. Yes
But think about this. Most of the usage is on the trail. Let's keep it simple. On the trail ok. On the road use your judgement or common sense Trail ready? C you on the rocks

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Bill S

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Castro Valley, CA
Member #

Use of radios for communications yup good thread, now let's shift gears just a bit. CHP recently revised their actions regarding radio usage. Yes
But think about this. Most of the usage is on the trail. Let's keep it simple. On the trail ok. On the road use your judgement or common sense Trail ready? C you on the rocks

You're right, the trail is why we're here, but let's not forget usage while convoying to the trail head or back home after the adventure. This is when you'd possibly be seen and the information comes into play.

Reactions: Rubiconcruiser

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

You're right, the trail is why we're here, but let's not forget usage while convoying to the trail head or back home after the adventure. This is when you'd possibly be seen and the information comes into play.
This is true however. This is where common sense plays a really big part. Be safe

Bill S

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Castro Valley, CA
Member #

***Update***

Below is a link to a website that is tracking what is going on with the efforts to modify this law, and links to send emails to your various legislators. I encourage you to read and keep up with what is going on. I also encourage you to contact your legislator and express your opinion and support/opposition to the bill as it currently sits.

http://www.no1pc.org/handsfree/index.htm

73 and Safe Travels

~Bill/N6SGT