Elizabeth, CO
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Wileman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6DDX
Hi guys, I wanted to share something I did after work today. A way to make USB powered water pump for my rotopax and 20l water container. I made this for under $30. The pump came from Amazon for $13, and its USB chargeable.

Attachments

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I actually bought that same 5gallon USB pump. I like that you did to connect it to the Jerry Can. Something I’ll have to do myself (in time).

But you can’t beat having that and tossing a 5gallon jug from Wally World in the back of the Jeep!

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Yes I would like to know as well.....

I sent msg, will post if I get reply.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

This has been in a couple recent posts on setting up a tap directly on portable water containers. I'll chime in with what I know, and perhaps @MWBREWCO will fill in what else he used.

It's a 1200mah pump meant for those big jugs that go in office-type water coolers, is USB rechargeable, and easily set up with water containers with a little ingenuity.

water-tap-usb.jpg

For anyone interested in an alternative, I'm setting up something a little different with two 5gal MWCs for a stationary set up.
I'm putting a sink in my van with running water, with the two MWCs in a cabinet below; one for fresh water, one for waste water. I'll plumb the tap to a submersible 12v pump, powered by any of my 12v power packs with on/off switches. I keep a bunch around for the front light on my bike, charging mobile devices on the go, power my lens heater, etc.

The fresh water jug will have quick-connects for the water line, so I can easily remove the jug for filling.

There are less expensive, almost identical, pumps, though I like this German-made one for it's reviews of much longer life and better working order.

water-pump-12v-submersible-700.jpg
I won't bogart this thread anymore than I have already with all the details, though will make another post at some point when I get to the project; #427 on my list of this spring's get-ready-to-adventure projects.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
This has been in a couple recent posts on setting up a tap directly on portable water containers. I'll chime in with what I know, and perhaps @MWBREWCO will fill in what else he used.

It's a 1200mah pump meant for those big jugs that go in office-type water coolers, is USB rechargeable, and easily set up with water containers with a little ingenuity.

View attachment 195290

For anyone interested in an alternative, I'm setting up something a little different with two 5gal MWCs for a stationary set up.
I'm putting a sink in my van with running water, with the two MWCs in a cabinet below; one for fresh water, one for waste water. I'll plumb the tap to a submersible 12v pump, powered by any of my 12v power packs with on/off switches. I keep a bunch around for the front light on my bike, charging mobile devices on the go, power my lens heater, etc.

The fresh water jug will have quick-connects for the water line, so I can easily remove the jug for filling.

There are less expensive, almost identical, pumps, though I like this German-made one for it's reviews of much longer life and better working order.

View attachment 195292
I won't bogart this thread anymore than I have already with all the details, though will make another post at some point when I get to the project; #427 on my list of this spring's get-ready-to-adventure projects.

I found one of those water jug pumps on Amazon for the torn package price of $6. It’ll be here Friday. Yay, another project.

Reactions: grubworm and Road

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
I have one of those. It's great so far. It slides right on the pour hole of the LCI MWCs.

Clrussell

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Corbin
Last Name
Russell

View attachment 195290

View attachment 195292

keep us posted, I’m looking for something to drop in a Lci can for water supply.

Reactions: Road

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
FWIW, I used that blue water pump for 2 years while we were living in our RV at least once a week to pump 21 gallons of water into our trailer while boondocking, and it still works great to this day, It is 12 volt, not USB and I just powered it with my jump battery.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

FWIW, I used that blue water pump for 2 years while we were living in our RV at least once a week to pump 21 gallons of water into our trailer while boondocking, and it still works great to this day, It is 12 volt, not USB and I just powered it with my jump battery.
Good testimonial! I wondered if anyone had longevity experience with the German pump. It's said to pump 2.6gal/min. There's a less expensive knock-off out there, too, though no idea how well it works.

If you want it to be portable in a water container, you can wire it to a 12v male end barrel plug adapter and plug it right into a power pack that has the corresponding female input. I have a couple I use for my bike light and various things that have a female DC input/output and USB and one that is the DC input/output only.

Clos714

Rank 0

Contributor II

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Loyola
Hi guys, I wanted to share something I did after work today. A way to make USB powered water pump for my rotopax and 20l water container. I made this for under $30. The pump came from Amazon for $13, and its USB chargeable.
Would you be able to provide me with you part list? I’m looking to do the exact same!