USA to Mexico/BZ/GT *NOT* as registered owner?

• HTML tutorial

gingerman

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Seattle
First Name
Ginger
Last Name
Lincoln
Hi everyone,

So I'll begin my long-planned road trip southward in a couple weeks, but as I was reading the overland wiki post for Mexico, I read the note that says:

"Important: Only the registered owner of the vehicle or spouse are allowed to drive the vehicle. If somebody else gets caught driving the vehicle, consider it donated to customs."

The vehicle is registered in my moms name, not mine (originally due to tax savings reasons, she lives in Oregon). Is this going to be a problem? We both have the same last name so that may help.

Also curious for the same scenrio at the Belize and Guatemala border crossings as well..

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

MCL

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oliver, B.C., Canada
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Gerlach
I would suggest having the paperwork in your name before crossing into MX. I have a bus conversion and they wouldn't let me across until my registration read motorhome and not bus conversion. They sent me from Tecate to Tijuana crossing and back to Tecate. I finally had to get DMV in Calgary to reissue my registration as motorhome and fax it to me. When I went back to Tecate with the change, they were hesitant to let me cross because the registration wasn't the original but a copy! All this and I had crossed twice before. They are unpredictable these days especially with what's going on at the border. Best to have EVERYTHING in your name.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
^^^Agreed. Change the registration and title to your name. You can have two names on it, we did, as long as one of the names is yours. In our case we are both listed on the registration and title which came in handy when we re-entered Guatemala after only being out one month. They require the vehicle to be out for three months (at that time - may need to double check) but since they use both the VIN and the passport number as the unique identifier in their system we were able to re-enter under the second owner's name. If you plan to enter Honduras or El Salvador, you can suspend the vehicle Temporary Import Permit (TIP) in Guatemala for your return if you will not be out for more than three months.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Could not agree more. It's better to always check the papers carefully before setting off and have them super accurate.

By the way, this can also be an issue in other countries, if you are not traveling with your own vehicle, i.e. if it is registered to a different owner than you, you will need a power of attorney from the vehicle owner in many countries. Or at least such a document makes things easier. Carrying this document can also be useful even if the rig is registered in you but in the event of a medical emergency or similar. In other words, whenever, for example, someone else's vehicle needs to be transported to a safe place or home if the vehicle owner is no longer able to do so.

If you need more up-to-date information about the area, ask @landyandy4x4 , who is currently overlanding in Central America.

Have a safe trip,
Bjoern

Reactions: gingerman

gingerman

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Seattle
First Name
Ginger
Last Name
Lincoln
Thank you all for the advice. As per @Jon and Mandy's advice, I'll go down to the Oregon dmv today and become a second owner of the car.

Just double checking the pedantics: the address on the new registration (I will not be able to get the new title by the time I plan on being in Mexico) will be my mother's address, not mine, even though I will be listed as the joint owner. Is this alright or must the addresses line up as well?

Last edited:

MCL

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oliver, B.C., Canada
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Gerlach
All I can say is when I finally did get to cross, MX border control looked for any discrepancies. They checked registration on my bus, Jeep and trailer. Took my papers into their customs building and checked for something, I don't know what. They explained to me their orders came from higher up and they could lose their job if they didn't follow the rules. Their rules change from one day to the next. Because the US is letting Mexican citizens in, they might reciprocate and cause you no grief. If you can, go to DMV and explain to them your dilemma. Maybe they can give you some kind of official looking document. The goal is always to get across hassle free. No matter what, be respectful and polite. Sometimes that's all it takes. Make sure you have ORIGINAL copies of all documents. Speaking from experience, they don't like copies. Good luck and safe travels.

gingerman

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Seattle
First Name
Ginger
Last Name
Lincoln
Thank you @MCL, I'll make sure I do that! I'll also be getting the Temporary Import Permit (TIP) via Banjercito and a Mexican Tourist Card. I have valid and current state ID and passport.

I just came back from the DMV, got new registration with me as the non-primary co-owner of the vehicle. Hopefully we should be good to go from here.

Thank you all again for your suggestions!

MCL

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oliver, B.C., Canada
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Gerlach
You're set! On the bright side, the first time we crossed (2006) , all I got was a wave as I slowed down at the border. I commented to my wife, "I think we're in Mexico". Have a good trip.

gingerman

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Seattle
First Name
Ginger
Last Name
Lincoln
Thank you!

I just have one follow up question: Looks like as per here, I need the car's title in order to apply for the TIP.

I will not have the new title in time, since I just changed the ownership details a couple days back. I have the new registration but the new title will take a month to be sent to me.

Will this be a problem?

MCL

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oliver, B.C., Canada
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Gerlach
Thank you!

I just have one follow up question: Looks like as per here, I need the car's title in order to apply for the TIP.

I will not have the new title in time, since I just changed the ownership details a couple days back. I have the new registration but the new title will take a month to be sent to me.

Will this be a problem?
Having the registration in your name is a good start. A letter verifying you are the owner should be more than enough. I can't say for sure though as I have only crossed at Tecate which normally isn't too busy. I wonder if the co. you used for your MX. insurance would know? Each time I have crossed, my registration and insurance was all I had.+(DL and passport) Sorry I don't have a solid answer for you.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
We had to have both, FL does things differently than other states. What they were looking for was the make, model, year, tag, vin, vehicle type, color, owner's name and address. Further south they even wanted to know displacement etc., IIRC that started around El Salvador but we were the ones that had to fill out the form and not the agent/officer. In FL, the tag changes so it is only on the registration and not the title but they still always started by requesting both. We assisted, tactfully, as needed.