US National Parks with good overlanding opportunities?

• HTML tutorial

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Besides Death Valley (which is great!), what other USNPs have good overland/backcountry driving opportunities? I'm looking for another trip to take my son on and this time he would like to see something more green. lol For the purposes of my next trip, I'm ruling out anything in Alaska due to the logistics of getting there.

So, what parks have you overlanded in and been able to escape civilization?

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

That one looks interesting. Can it be done with 4 wheels? It references "riders" so I assume it is a two wheel route.

Reactions: RainGoat

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

It was mostly put together by dual sport Riders but yes you can do it in a 4x4 no problem I did more than half of it in a bone-stock 91 4Runner

Ol Red

Rank 0

Traveler I

Joshua Tree NP has some fun trails that are on the park that lead pass the park boundaries. Super fun and not super difficult.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Moab, UT. Surprisingly can be pretty green if you go in the springtime. Moab is a lot like Death Valley but bigger and somewhat more varied terrain. Between the La Sal Mountains, Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, etc. you should have plenty of options for overlanding.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

It was mostly put together by dual sport Riders but yes you can do it in a 4x4 no problem I did more than half of it in a bone-stock 91 4Runner
Thanks for the additional info.

@Tex68w , @Ol Red , I'll look into those some more. Thanks.

@Saints&Sailors I'd be hard pressed to do Moab in Overlanding mode instead of in rock crawling mode. lol But you are correct that there is a lot to do up there.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Thanks for the additional info.

@Tex68w , @Ol Red , I'll look into those some more. Thanks.

@Saints&Sailors I'd be hard pressed to do Moab in Overlanding mode instead of in rock crawling mode. lol But you are correct that there is a lot to do up there.
I know. I have the same issue every time I go to Moab - overlanding goes out the window and I'm amp'd to crawl up every petrified sand dune I can find. :P

Hoptodd

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Petaluma, CA
Member #

Besides Death Valley (which is great!), what other USNPs have good overland/backcountry driving opportunities? I'm looking for another trip to take my son on and this time he would like to see something more green. lol For the purposes of my next trip, I'm ruling out anything in Alaska due to the logistics of getting there.

So, what parks have you overlanded in and been able to escape civilization?
How about Big Sur? Los Padres National Forest. There are some amazing camp site and views up there.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk