Enthusiast I

Schaumburg, Illinois, United States
First Name
Theron
Last Name
Dalton
Member #

Good Evening,

I wanted to reach out and see what everyone’s thoughts were here. I currently drive a BMW sedan as my daily driver. I’m planning a month long camping road trip from Chicago to San Diego and back in July, and have been searching for a vehicle.

My current thought process is this: I can drive my BMW but then won’t be able to do any overland trails or really “offroad” things on the trip. I may be more limited on camping spots as well. I can fit a cooler in the trunk, but may not be able to fit a 12v fridge, and overall the sedan will have less space.

I could purchase a cheap used vehicle ($2-5k); I’m thinking either a Lexus GX460/ LX470 or a Land Rover LR3/LR4. This could be a project vehicle moving forward- just needs to be able to make the ~5k mile road trip.

Or- refinance my BMW for a newer LX570 that I can have for a very long time and turn that into my daily driver and overlanding rig.

For work I drive all over Chicagoland, up to WI and down to southern IL- mostly commutes within 30/40 miles each day. I know gas on an LX is going to be higher, but the vehicles are said to be bullet proof.

Do you guys think I should just take the BMW, refinance, get a used vehicle? Is there a different used suv you’d recommend for this budget that maybe I only keep for the duration of this trip?

Hope to hear from you all!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
If money is not an issue go with the LX. I have a 450 that is a dedicated touring rig with 375 k miles. . Anything under 10k would be a project vehicle that would need to be baselined before even the shortest trip. If you go with a new LX you’ll be modifying it and driving it for 10 years before anything serious will go wrong.. just my opinion, others will differ

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

What do you think about renting the base rig you think you’d like best, then seeing how you like it over the 4 weeks and 5,000 miles?

As for serious ‘off-roading’ in Moab, for example, rent a built up Jeep in town.

Your rental LX (or whatever) will get you everywhere else.

Try finding one on Turo, for example.

If you end up loving the ride, you can look for a good used rig nationwide, knowing what you’re getting into.

Reactions: El-Dracho

VectorSigma68

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Theron
Last Name
Dalton
Member #

If money is not an issue go with the LX. I have a 450 that is a dedicated touring rig with 375 k miles. . Anything under 10k would be a project vehicle that would need to be baselined before even the shortest trip. If you go with a new LX you’ll be modifying it and driving it for 10 years before anything serious will go wrong.. just my opinion, others will differ
Thanks MOAK! I appreciate the 2¢

VectorSigma68

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Theron
Last Name
Dalton
Member #

What do you think about renting the base rig you think you’d like best, then seeing how you like it over the 4 weeks and 5,000 miles?

As for serious ‘off-roading’ in Moab, for example, rent a built up Jeep in town.

I hadn’t thought about Turo. I’ll see if I can find an LX rental somewhere

Reactions: 12C20

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

I hadn’t thought about Turo. I’ll see if I can find an LX rental somewhere
Last year I ran into some college kids on Spring Break in Moab driving a Turo Jeep and thought it was genius.

Reactions: VectorSigma68

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

In 2024 I'm afraid any expectation that you will buy a road worthy and off road worthy vehicle for $5k that you can drive across the USA is extraordinarily optimistic, bordering on unrealistic.

Drive what you've got, pay attention to what you really cannot do that the opportunity actually presents itself to do, and when you get back decide if it will be worth the investment to upgrade your off road capability for the next trip

VectorSigma68

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Theron
Last Name
Dalton
Member #

In 2024 I'm afraid any expectation that you will buy a road worthy and off road worthy vehicle for $5k that you can drive across the USA is extraordinarily optimistic, bordering on unrealistic.

Drive what you've got, pay attention to what you really cannot do that the opportunity actually presents itself to do, and when you get back decide if it will be worth the investment to upgrade your off road capability for the next trip

The more I've been researching and the more videos I watch and listings I see I am finding that more and more accurate. I am very unwilling to spend $3k on a vehicle rental the more I think about it - I feel like I'd be wasting my money on that rather than putting it towards something long term. Thank you for your advice.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

Another great option.

Probably the most cost-effective, yet.

NMNomad

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Rio Rancho, NM, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Foskey
I would encourage you to drive the car, and before you go, research your stops along the way, to ensure you can access it by car. When you return, you can make an educated decision as to if this hobby is one you are willing to dump thousands of dollars into.

DangitDad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

I second NMNomad's suggestion, followed closely by renting the vehicle you might like to try. Or even multiple different vehicles, if you're going for 2 months.

It sounds like you already know you enjoy camping/overlanding. If you're not sure, I suggest the cheapest route.

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
If you are looking in the $5k range, you won't get much in the Toyota and Land Rover world. Look for Chevrolets and Fords instead and you can probably find something that will do what you want.

This was $2750 in pre COVID dollars with 300k miles on it so probably $5k in todays dollars. I serviced it, fixed a couple of window regulators, and put AT tires on it. Two weeks later we left on a 4000 mile trip to Maine. We have put a little over 60k on it since thing without major repairs. I would not try that with a comprably price Toyota or Lexus. A $5k Toyota is too far down the deprecation curve for me where as a $5k Chevy is just about right.

1712258384628.png

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I would drive what you own. I drove a Plymouth Reliant all over Baja for years. Dirt roads and rocks were just part of it. You can drive Forest Service roads with your BMW. Second choice would be rent, be aware most rentals have GPS and tracking unit on them. Also I would go with a Ice-chest over frig. keep it simple.

Last edited:

VectorSigma68

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Theron
Last Name
Dalton
Member #

Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate the help!
I second NMNomad's suggestion, followed closely by renting the vehicle you might like to try. Or even multiple different vehicles, if you're going for 2 months.

It sounds like you already know you enjoy camping/overlanding. If you're not sure, I suggest the cheapest route.
Been camping for years with BoyScouts - just been out of the game for a little bit, and now want to start going on more trips - overlanding is more my speed now; being able to go places off the beaten path

Reactions: MMc