Investor

Enthusiast III

Swanton, Franklin County, Vermont, United States
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Micheli
Member #

My Wife and are planning on touring through Quebec then Labrador on through the Alantic Coast and back to New England via Maine.
I'm currently viewing maps and planning on traveling on roads that paralelle rivers & streams, love to boondock next to flowing water!

I would like any Advice/suggestions on what to look out for when traveling through this quadrant of Canada.
Also, I would very much like to meet some of my OB Québécois Bretheren, maybe once connected one of you would like to joinin, perhaps??

I have dear friends in Bradford and really enjoy my in Quebec!

I've been scheming touring through the back roads of Quebec and the Canadian Maritimes since my late teens, now's the time!
I've been a member since Nov 2017, time to get involved with this fine community!

Once the pandemic subsides and restrictions are lifted, that's when the fun begins!

I look forward to meeting the Canadian OB members and receiving any information you all can provide!

Milli Grazie,
Carlo

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

1Truenorth

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Midd.-tenn.
First Name
Wm
Last Name
Murray
Brush up on a tiny bit of Francaise before you arrive La Bell provance... There is NO English Signage in Quebec. None.
The people are nice, a lot speak English, but they won't speak it to you, at first. A simple Je ne parle pas français , or I don't speak French will help you.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Brush up on a tiny bit of Francaise before you arrive La Bell provance... There is NO English Signage in Quebec. None.
The people are nice, a lot speak English, but they won't speak it to you, at first. A simple Je ne parle pas français , or I don't speak French will help you.
Wow. I have to admit, I have seen the opposite in Quebec. I mean, yes, brush up on your French, but I have asked (in English) a police officer in Quebec for directions and had him ignore me, put his nose up and drive away.

I think if you at least know a little bit of French and try to communicate that way, the people there appreciate that you are trying, and then they soften up and are willing to help.

In all other aspects and places, I've never met a rude Canadian. I was on PEI last year trying to get a photo of a church steeple, so I was backing up a bit while looking at my screen. I bumped into someone and THEY said "sooory". I really enjoyed any time spent in Canada

Silvanus27

Rank IV
Launch Member
Investor

Enthusiast III

First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Micheli
Member #

Thanks for heads up!
I do know a little Fench, Half my family is from Qimper, Brittany, France, the other is from Tuscany, Italy.

I spoke both languages as wee child until I reached school age.
I speak very little, understand better, I still speak French with my Mom and Aunt when I visit Dorchester, Ma.
Planning on a route now, can’t wait to for this to happen!
Do I need to contact the Canadian Bureau of Tourism, and inform them of my plan???

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Thanks for heads up!
I do know a little Fench, Half my family is from Qimper, Brittany, France, the other is from Tuscany, Italy.

I spoke both languages as wee child until I reached school age.
I speak very little, understand better, I still speak French with my Mom and Aunt when I visit Dorchester, Ma.
Planning on a route now, can’t wait to for this to happen!
Do I need to contact the Canadian Bureau of Tourism, and inform them of my plan???
Wait!
There are still French people in Dorchester Mass?

1Truenorth

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Midd.-tenn.
First Name
Wm
Last Name
Murray
No Carlo, you are free to travel; once you and team are across the border in Canada.
I am Canadian, although I have lived the America for the last 30 years. I have forgotten all conversational French, so I would embarrass myself traveling around Quebec again after all this time.
Have a great time.
We want to drive from home in Tennessee, North to Quebec and keep going North. Arrive James Bay, the bottom of historic Hudson Bay.

ruralpunk

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Nelson, BC, Canada
First Name
Gretchen
Last Name
nottellingyou
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA7KTF
Service Branch
BCEHS Paramedic
I'm also looking at doing the Trans Lab, maybe may or June 2022, before the black flies get too bad. Two basic resources I've found is actually the Wikipedia page for the Trans Lab Hwy and this Wiki Voyage page.

Apparently if you don't have SatComs the government will let you check out an Iridium Sat-phone, free of charge. That's how isolated it is. Also, apparently the whole road will be paved as of this year, which kind of takes some of the adventure out of it, but I'm sure is great for the folks who live all the way out there.

Silvanus27

Rank IV
Launch Member
Investor

Enthusiast III

First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Micheli
Member #

I’m back on this excursion, couldn’t do it in 2020, so I’ve got all winter to plan it out!

Thanks for all the solid advice!

As for my French, I’m going down to Dorchester once a month to help my Mom (She’s 81 with limited mobility), so I’m brushing up on it!

Can’t wait to see Québec and the Canadian Maritime coast!!

Be keeping you posted!
Ciao!