Rank V

Enthusiast III

Catlett, VA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dean
Member #

I just bought a battery powered grass trimmer to be part of my “over landing” load out. Now that it is almost summer here in Virginia, I have noticed a lot of the dispersed camp sights I have been checkout out often have grass growing in them. Ticks and chiggers anyone?

So the question is, what unusual gear have you purchased to deal with a specific issue you have encountered?

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Head nets to deal with excessive mosquitos and flies. This can turn an intolerable evening back into an enjoyable experience. We first got the head nets for an overlanding trip through the outback of Australia and found them an ABSOLUTE necessity to ward off their persistent flies. Sorry Aussies, but I think you'll agree!

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Head nets to deal with excessive mosquitos and flies. This can turn an intolerable evening back into an enjoyable experience. We first got the head nets for an overlanding trip through the outback of Australia and found them an ABSOLUTE necessity to ward off their persistent flies. Sorry Aussies, but I think you'll agree!
Great idea! We have placed a lanterns around the camp perimeter to lure bugs away from us, combined with a fire pit and some Off-spray, we usually do Ok as well.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
The only item which springs to mind is the machete we bought in Misiones, Argentina. We had decided not to take a machete, based on the potential need to explain having one in the event of police/military checkstops in cities, however after having to deal with a fallen tree across the "road" in the Misiones Bioreserve, which took 2-1/2 hours using a leatherman, we stopped at the next town and bought a machete.

Although we have headnets we've never used them - really don't like them - they're a bit of an inconvenience to wear and they interfere with our enjoyment of the environment. We bought them in expectation of need, however in the "worst" places for insects we quickly learned to ignore them, and this has worked well (by "worst places" these include, for example, North West Pilbara and the Kimberley in Australia, and Tstetse country in Africa.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Not sure it qualifies as "unusual", but considering all the expensive kit I see being used these days its definitely low-tech.

I keep a couple short lengths of 2x4 and a handful of cheapo ratchet straps around. Great emergency self recovery. Strap 'em to your wheels and (hopefully) drive out of whatever bog you managed to find yourself in.

Scotty_Dawg

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Meldrum Bay, Ontario, Canada
First Name
SCOTT
Last Name
HARTLEY
Member #

At home I switched over to using the Ryobi 18V tools. Now I have a battery powered trimmer, blower, chainsaw, & little shop vac that can be used on my camping trips if needed!
I have done same...got the 18v compressor and works well with tire maintenance and air charging the shower..

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I just bought a battery powered grass trimmer to be part of my “over landing” load out. Now that it is almost summer here in Virginia, I have noticed a lot of the dispersed camp sights I have been checkout out often have grass growing in them. Ticks and chiggers anyone?

So the question is, what unusual gear have you purchased to deal with a specific issue you have encountered?
I like mine...use it all the time. Easier than packing trimmer I think.

Reactions: Viking1204

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I carry straight round up. Next morning everything within 50 yards is dead. No fleas, no flies, no ticks, no mosquitoes. LOL ! Weed wacker? Where do you guys find the room for such a cumbersome tool?
You be amazed how much stuff I can hang off my custom Superstrut rack! The nice thing about the Ryobi weed whacker is it's not very big, doesn't weigh alot without the battery installed so pretty easy to hang off the rack. I only take it when I know the area I'm going gets tall grass!

Last edited:
Reactions: Shahn and MOAK

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I guess the "unusual items" I carry would be the kid size rake & shovel. They are small (only about 3') so they stow well and are great for clearing out small rocks, sticks, nuts, pinecones, etc. where the tent would go. I also have a 12v plug in dustbuster because sand gets everywhere.

Reactions: Kozysnack and Shahn

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Since this was posted, I've been trying to figure out what "unusual" gear I carry. So far everything is what I usually carry. Nothing I would say is unusual for me.
When I did Adopt a Trail work, it wasn't unusual for us to carry power tools, some of my back pack trips, I carried a yard fogger. A small battery operated vacuum was replaced with a wisk broom. Lots of people have never heard of Colby Valves. I carry two but that's part of my usual load out.

Huh....10 min's of staring at the computer and nothing....

Does that mean I'm normal?

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I carry a pair of fireplace tongs for adjusting the wood in the camp fire. Yes, they're a bit long, but they fit in the same area as some of my other tools. Not a necessity, but it sure makes tending the fire easy, and it's nice not burning the temper out of your shovel.

IMG_6412.JPEG

oldsoldier181

Rank IV

Influencer II

Ayer, Massachusetts, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
reed
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1WTR
Service Branch
Army
Extrication gloves. They are heavy duty, used by firefighters for, well, extrication. But, they keep your hands well protected when moving prickly or sharp objects as well :)