Unruly people....

• HTML tutorial

Jimmy Schantz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Whats the best way to deal with the loud mouth, drunk guy , I can kick your a## ,you looking at me! Type of Drunk! .. it never fails your out trail riding and having a great time with good friends and some goof ball starts to drink and run their mouth! Bamm there you are stuck between your buddy and your best friend who are getting ready to knock the day lights out of each other.... Just when you think it's all going to hit the fan with them two! It gets worse the girls of the two drunk , I'm going to kick your ars guy's , Girl friends start a no bar hold match on each other ! If that not bad enough ....... It's gets worse!!! Now the Park Ranger shows up and the guys calling for back up and he looking at me like I'm supposed to do something, and I'm like .... What now !!! .... Long story short everyone staring at me as I'm laying on the air horns and yelling at the top of my lungs !! Everyone started laughing and we got off with a warning from the park ranger...... It's hard to choose your friends it's harder to remain level-headed and try not to cause an escalation of the problem. ... yeah! I still ride with those crazy guys but I keep my hand on the air horn button just in case .

BosCo

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

texas
To me it is very simple when I go out, I go out to check out, to get away and to relax. Now if I have someone with me that has a tendency to drink a little too much I might have an accident with a cooler, or not even tell them that I am going. It is your time away and you can take or not take who you want.

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Simple. Drive off, or find a new spot to camp. I would also advise you to find different friends to go wheel / explore / camp with... people that aren't angry drunks, or know how to handle their alcohol.

When there has been an issue with any type of substance abuse on trail or at camp, that person is no longer invited on trips, period.

Jimmy Schantz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Simple. Drive off, or find a new spot to camp. I would also advise you to find different friends to go wheel / explore / camp with... people that aren't angry drunks, or know how to handle their alcohol.

When there has been an issue with any type of substance abuse on trail or at camp, that person is no longer invited on trips, period.
Yep I tend to discourage drinking and definitely no drugs but all in all I have a good group of friends... Every once in awhile there is an argument about something stupid but as you said I don't envite a trouble maker twice

Reactions: dr56099

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

It can be tough. Particularly here in CO there is a big difference drinking at 5,000ft vs. 10,000ft elevation. A couple of beers can sneak up on a person. My general approach is to remain positive, enthusiastic, and make subtle but clear comments to address inappropriate behavior. It also helps to steer the conversation from hot button issues to things like vehicle mods or the days adventure or future trails. If the belligerence goes further I shut things down and go to bed. I think "excited" people need an audience and learn a hard lesson watching a smoldering campfire alone. I like kicking back by the fire with good beer and company and I like the conversation that goes along with it. And for me a single incident of someone getting a little wacky doesn't get them banned from camping with me forever. Most people are remorseful the next day and more careful in the future. Of course if the incident is bad enough or the behavior continues then I cut the invitations or at least take a break from them until I forget about it.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

It can be tough. Particularly here in CO there is a big difference drinking at 5,000ft vs. 10,000ft elevation. A couple of beers can sneak up on a person. My general approach is to remain positive, enthusiastic, and make subtle but clear comments to address inappropriate behavior. It also helps to steer the conversation from hot button issues to things like vehicle mods or the days adventure or future trails. If the belligerence goes further I shut things down and go to bed. I think "excited" people need an audience and learn a hard lesson watching a smoldering campfire alone. I like kicking back by the fire with good beer and company and I like the conversation that goes along with it. And for me a single incident of someone getting a little wacky doesn't get them banned from camping with me forever. Most people are remorseful the next day and more careful in the future. Of course if the incident is bad enough or the behavior continues then I cut the invitations or at least take a break from them until I forget about it.
Id have to agree with you! I like to sit back and enjoy a good beer or two and watch the fire. I dont have to much experience camping with friends. Just norm my GF and I. I am from Colorado as well. And around here you dont just run into people that drink to much here anymore its drug and alcohol. From past lines or work. You can not reason with someone thats overly influenced by ether. And yeah. Its cut them off let them sleep it off. Talk about it in the morning. And if they pop off the next morning as well. Its more or less exclude them next time. Drunk idiot syndrome is self inflected.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
In the first place, you guys aren't overlanding. . You're just goin out 4 wheelin. Huge and I mean a Huge difference. The last time I was out with a group it was at a sanctioned overlanding/4wheelin event. I was the trail leader of 6 other rigs that partook in a 3 day 2 nighter excursion. There wasn't a single person among us that found the need or desire to get drunk. Did we have a libation or 2 around the campfire at night? Sure. Good friends, good booze and good campfire always equals a good time. If any one of them would have gotten drunk, and become disorderly they would have been immediately kicked out of the excursion, the TLCA, and banned from their local club. I, along with many others have zero tolerance for drunken assholes. I'm certainly not a tea-totaler as I enjoy getting my nose a bit numb, as do most all of my friends and trail buddies, but we all know where the line is. I would strongly suggest you cut those guys loose as we are all no better, nor no less, than the company we keep.

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Whats the best way to deal with the loud mouth, drunk guy , I can kick your a## ,you looking at me! Type of Drunk! .. it never fails your out trail riding and having a great time with good friends and some goof ball starts to drink and run their mouth! Bamm there you are stuck between your buddy and your best friend who are getting ready to knock the day lights out of each other.... Just when you think it's all going to hit the fan with them two! It gets worse the girls of the two drunk , I'm going to kick your ars guy's , Girl friends start a no bar hold match on each other ! If that not bad enough ....... It's gets worse!!! Now the Park Ranger shows up and the guys calling for back up and he looking at me like I'm supposed to do something, and I'm like .... What now !!! .... Long story short everyone staring at me as I'm laying on the air horns and yelling at the top of my lungs !! Everyone started laughing and we got off with a warning from the park ranger...... It's hard to choose your friends it's harder to remain level-headed and try not to cause an escalation of the problem. ... yeah! I still ride with those crazy guys but I keep my hand on the air horn button just in case .
Eject these people from your life. Thank me later.

Jimmy Schantz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

In the first place, you guys aren't overlanding. . You're just goin out 4 wheelin. Huge and I mean a Huge difference. The last time I was out with a group it was at a sanctioned overlanding/4wheelin event. I was the trail leader of 6 other rigs that partook in a 3 day 2 nighter excursion. There wasn't a single person among us that found the need or desire to get drunk. Did we have a libation or 2 around the campfire at night? Sure. Good friends, good booze and good campfire always equals a good time. If any one of them would have gotten drunk, and become disorderly they would have been immediately kicked out of the excursion, the TLCA, and banned from their local club. I, along with many others have zero tolerance for drunken assholes. I'm certainly not a tea-totaler as I enjoy getting my nose a bit numb, as do most all of my friends and trail buddies, but we all know where the line is. I would strongly suggest you cut those guys loose as we are all no better, nor no less, than the company we keep.
Well I agree with you on the drunk part but we did camp there all weekend . Overlanding dose not mean that you or the group have to be a sanctioned event. you can go out by your self and be Overlanding. It dose not even mean you have to camp it's the adventure and the Exploring that makes it Overland ...

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Well I agree with you on the drunk part but we did camp there all weekend . Overlanding dose not mean that you or the group have to be a sanctioned event. you can go out by your self and be Overlanding. It dose not even mean you have to camp it's the adventure and the Exploring that makes it Overland ...
Of course it doesn't have to be a sanctioned event... That was my first event in over 25 years of doing this thing called overlanding... We usually go alone or with family and very tight friends to very remote regions..