Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
National Public Lands Day was established in 1994, and is held annually on the 4th Saturday of September. National Public Lands Day, or NPLD for short, is the single largest one day volunteer event of the year. It celebrates the connection between people and green space in their community, inspires environmental stewardship, and encourages use of open space for education, recreation, and health benefits.
I first learned of NPLD in April of 2020 as I was looking for ways to help improve the Oregon Tillamook State Forest that was being threatened for closer due to improper land use by its visitors. I had tried to organize a clean up event as well as some trail maintenance projects only to get shut down due to Covid 19 restrictions, which prompted a call to the recreational director of Oregon Department of Forestry. In one of our meetings NPLD was brought to my attention and we worked diligently on setting up a cleanup for several of the state parks within the Tilimook state forest.
In 2021, I couldn’t find an NPLD event in my area, I tried to organize an event, but my words fell on deaf ears. I tried talking with various organizations that I knew had several huge projects that they were asking for volunteers for, but all I got back was the chirping of crickets.
I had almost given up hope for a NPLD project within the Blue Mountains of Washington and Oregon for 2022, when I received not one, but three emails from various public land representatives for three separate events. Two of these events have already been canceled due to wild fires within the project work areas, which will mean a larger effort next year.

For more information on NPLD, check out

Reactions: Ubiety