Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

I recently traded in my F150 due to miles and space for the family. This wasn’t my first choice in vehicles but the deal I was offered couldn’t be refused. As I don’t plan on doing any major off roading in it, it still fits the bill. My goal is to be able to not get stuck in the mud and fields I work in daily. So, here is my projected build list:

Completed:
OEM Style Roof Bars

Ordered:
Apex Roof Basket
2x Front Runner Wolf Pack
Quick Fist Shovel Brackets
Apex Aluminum Recovery Boards
Interceptor Style Air Dam (Improve Front Bumper Clearance)

Thinking On:
Traxda 1.25” Leveling Kit
Timbren Rear Bump Stops
A/T Tires (When it is time to change the current set of shoes)

Attachments

Reactions: TexasGMG

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

Got the Apex roof basket built and installed. Seems like it’s pretty decent quality. I used some clear silicone on all the bolt holes and joints to protect against rust on the inside. Wolf Pack totes should be here this week. Working on figuring out how to mount my shovel holders right now.

Attachments

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

Been there! This was on the Enchanted Rockies Trail above Colorado Springs.

Btw, 50 series tires suck on washboards.
Im actually torn on what tires to put on. I can narrow them up and get 235/65R18’s on the stock suspension. Also considering 255 or 265/60R18’s. My gut tells me not to worry about the .25 inches in width and get the higher section width with the 65’s.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I'm not sure if a 17 inch wheel would fit over the brakes, etc. Mine was a leased company car, so I was going to be changing anything anyway.

I recall one of Andrew St. Pierre White's videos where he very breifly mentioned wanting narrow, tall tires for some kinds of terrain. Another video also talked about low profile tire failure on a Land Rover he came across in the bush with multiple blowouts.

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

So in more looking, 235/65R18’s and 255/60R18’s offer the same side wall size, but the 255 is wider and has a higher load rating. It would make sense to go that route, or the 265/60R18’s which give me 1/2 an inch more sidewall than stock.

Being that I’m more concerned about towing than anything, I think maintaining my stock brake size and getting tires with good load rating is better than anything. While I did purchase mine, I tend to keep my vehicles as close to stock as possible for resale value.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
So in more looking, 235/65R18’s and 255/60R18’s offer the same side wall size, but the 255 is wider and has a higher load rating. It would make sense to go that route, or the 265/60R18’s which give me 1/2 an inch more sidewall than stock.

Being that I’m more concerned about towing than anything, I think maintaining my stock brake size and getting tires with good load rating is better than anything. While I did purchase mine, I tend to keep my vehicles as close to stock as possible for resale value.
Depends where you're towing. I know I'd like to have heavier sidewalls to gain some more resistance to puncture.

edspecR

Rank 0

Contributor I

Berkeley, CA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
A
This build is super encouraging! I also just got myself a 5th gen explorer sport--sounds like I have the exact aspirations as you. FYI, I'm 95% sure 17s fit on these cars. Will confirm if i ever sneak my wife's outback wheels onto my explorer

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

Made some more progress on the Explorer over the past couple of weeks. I got the Wilco mounts for the Quick Fists mounted on the basket. Also got the Wolf Pack totes in and packed. I might do some readjusting as I think I want to find something smaller and spilt up my recovery gear into two bins to make it easier.

I was also able to remove the front air dam and covered the exposed part of the wheel wells with guards from the Ford Interceptor Utility. This gave me considerable more front ground clearance so I don’t have to worry about a high center in a trail or field debris.

Attachments

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

Had it loaded down with my work tools and recovery tote as some fields were still muddy. Also got my phone mount and charger from Pro Clips USA. Really happy with it, easy to mount, no permanent damage to the vehicle and rugged as all get out. I will be getting mounts from them in the future as I build out the Explorer and get more gear.

Attachments

Reactions: edspecR

edspecR

Rank 0

Contributor I

Berkeley, CA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
A
I see you got the side console mount even though they said it only fits the radio displayed on their website. glad to see it doesn't block off much

Reactions: rking.1688

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

I see you got the side console mount even though they said it only fits the radio displayed on their website. glad to see it doesn't block off much
I took a gamble, I do have the small screen radio. So it was sort of a half there, half not. Clipped in just fine and holds well.

gps4

Rank I

Contributor III

vicksburg, ms
First Name
george
Last Name
philips
what model apex basket do you have? i've got a '16 explorer with "fixed position" crossbars and I am having a hard time finding a basket that has the bottom bars perpendicular to crossbars.

thanks in advance.

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

what model apex basket do you have? i've got a '16 explorer with "fixed position" crossbars and I am having a hard time finding a basket that has the bottom bars perpendicular to crossbars.

thanks in advance.

That’s the one I got. Very happy with it so far. I did use some clear silicone on the joints and screw holes to seal against moisture and interior rust.

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

Those modular traction boards look interesting. Any experience with them yet?
None so far which I’m actually extremely sad about. I even swore I was going to get stuck in a field drive back in May, didn’t happen. They just keep hanging around in my recovery gear tote. One downfall definitely is the weight though. While they fit in a Wolf Pack, they make it very heavy to get on and off the roof.