Undercoating/Rustproofing

• HTML tutorial

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

What's everyone doing in the way of protecting the undercarriage from rust/corrosion? It's not something I've ever really thought about (we don't often salt in the Portland area, though it is pretty wet here), but now that I'm investing more in my rig, I'm also considering ways to keep it healthy for a long time... So, anyone have a routine or recommended products? DIY or pro?

Searched and couldn't find anything in the forums, but if there's already a thread, link me!

Reactions: KyleGrant

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
My local GM dealership actually offers this, it's a tad over $200 but "soup to nuts" cleaned and re-coated. I don't have a lift so doing my own would be a pain, I plan to have it coated this year and see how it goes.

I tend to be pretty OCD about getting the underside rinsed anytime following snow. Sounds like we're of like mind, I want my truck realistically as rust free as possible in 10 years.

Interested to see other input on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I've got undercoating, paint protection, and interior protection. I worked for a while in the car business and saw first hand the place it's done at, so I went ahead and ponied up the $700 for everything, because we use a lot of salt here, and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

dreadpiratejeff

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bear Creek NC
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
L
Member #

Mine was undercoated when I bought it. So I didn't have to worry about it. BUT after seeing some things, I wonder how effective a few coats of clear plastidip would be to prevent or at least minimize scratches.

OB #7432 RHEC

grover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Silver Springs, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Grover
Member #

Being in Canada, there is a lot of road salt and rust. Every year I spend half an hour and spray the underside of my car(s) with "Asphalt Undercoating". It comes in an aerosol can for about $10. I've never needed more than two of them to do the underside of a vehicle. The asphalt is oil based and repels water. It's like putting wet tar on the underside of your vehicle. It stays tacky for a while but over time it dries out so that's why you need to re-apply. If I spray it in the fall, it's easily dry to the touch come early spring. Just spray it on the sheet metal and try to avoid the mechanical stuff as best you can. I find it to be extremely effective.

It comes in an aerosol can or brushable:

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
So glad we don't have this problem down here. Our issue is paint fade from the brutal sun. I have heard of people using a bug sprayer filled with kerosene to coat the underside as a temporary coating. Does make it hard to find leaks and ruins the driveway.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I drive a Land Rover, so it has built-in undercoating protection courtesy of the engine and transfer case :) The transmission seems to stay dry somehow.

As they say, "If it's not leaking, it must be empty!"

Reactions: OuterLimits

LandPirate

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Anyone have any thoughts on Waxoyl? I've just received a quote from a company on Long Island in New York for a complete Truck Waxoyl protection (their heavier duty version for off road & work trucks and SUVs) including spraying inside hood, doors, trunk, every opening that rust could possibly get in and of course the undercarriage and all that jazz below. Quote is roughly $1,000-$1,200. I'm happy to do it if it protects my vehicle for a few years. I would hate to turn a perfectly good, excellently maintained vehicle into a rust bucket from lack of frame and body maintenance.

Thoughts are welcome.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
My Duramax had that undercoating (waxoyl) and it worked great. Even after 3 years and 460k miles of driving across the US and Canada it never had 1 hint of rust on it. The coating never got hard and never came off of where it was applied. I must say that trying to work on the underside was no fun due to that being on everything and I had to clean my tools afterwards more than usual.

Reactions: LandPirate

9nick4

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Indiana
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Stewart
Member #

I'm in the rust belt so factory undercoating is pretty common. Honestly I prefer good prep and paint instead of more undercoating. I can't stand having to remove undercoating from bolts or areas I need to work in. I preped and painted my 79 f150 front to back underneath, and my 99 xj. Holding up great [emoji106]

Sent from my VS988 using OB Talk mobile app

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I used a product called Rubberguard when the Cruiser was new but a couple of years ago I had it treated with this stuff https://www.dinitroldirect.com/car-rust-proofing/ Seems to work but recommended to be reapplied every 3 years if I remember rightly. Certainly helped cut down on some of the noise in the cabin, which was a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk