Unconventional Winch & attachment design

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Montréal, Quebec, Canada
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Monte
I can't remember the post but someone replied with a suggestion to store a winch in the passenger cabin & attach on the front or back bumper as needed. I like this idea because they put salt on the road here in the winter & because that's one less winch to bring & saves weight.

If I remember the winch suggested was also a lighter underpowered winch. I plan to have a pickup with a gross weight about 7200lbs. What's the least powerful winch you guys think I can get away with?

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
What you speak of is a multi-mount winch. I have run a 12k Milemarker winch for almost 20 years. The best thing is that the winch is out of the weather and will last forever. If you mount it on the bumper, it will corrode and after a few years you will go to use it and it will be dead.

Just a quick hint, I ran large gauge welding cable to the front and rear and terminated it into 400A Anderson connectors. I then made a set of 20 ft "jumper cables" with an Anderson connector on one end and clips on the other. You can then quickly plug it in either the front or rear of the vehicle. Because Anderson connectors are uni-sex, you can plug the cable directly on the winch and use the winch on any vehicle with a 2" receiver or with a strap, connect the winch to a tree or rock to get a better angle and jumper over to a vehicle or external battery.

Since, with a multi-mount, you will be grabbing and moving the winch around, your back will appreciate synthetic winch line. It will save you about 40 lbs of weight and it is far safer to boot.

I designed and built all my own bumpers and skids. My front mount is disguised by my front license plate I mounted to a 2" insert. You can probably see better pix on my build threads.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
What you speak of is a multi-mount winch. I have run a 12k Milemarker winch for almost 20 years. The best thing is that the winch is out of the weather and will last forever. If you mount it on the bumper, it will corrode and after a few years you will go to use it and it will be dead.

Just a quick hint, I ran large gauge welding cable to the front and rear and terminated it into 400A Anderson connectors. I then made a set of 20 ft "jumper cables" with an Anderson connector on one end and clips on the other. You can then quickly plug it in either the front or rear of the vehicle. Because Anderson connectors are uni-sex, you can plug the cable directly on the winch and use the winch on any vehicle with a 2" receiver or with a strap, connect the winch to a tree or rock to get a better angle and jumper over to a vehicle or external battery.

Since, with a multi-mount, you will be grabbing and moving the winch around, your back will appreciate synthetic winch line. It will save you about 40 lbs of weight and it is far safer to boot.

I designed and built all my own bumpers and skids. My front mount is disguised by my front license plate I mounted to a 2" insert. You can probably see better pix on my build threads.
My winch resides in my garage until trips. When I carry it, I have a 2" receiver mounted to a plate bolted inside my Jeep. It keeps it from chasing me around inside my Jeep in an accident and I have a locking hitch pin to make it harder to steal.

Last edited: