Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Tintable Raptor Liner is going on. Body will be Battleship Gray. Bumpers, sliders, odds and ends will be standard black. 2D1668C2-2DEB-4E92-8B18-4D3AE0FA4565.jpeg

William C aka “The Claw”

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Fork, Idaho, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
Clawson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6MKX
Service Branch
Volunteer Fire
Sweet! That will be fun. When you get her done we can go for a run. I have been collecting some bits and pieces for some upgrades from Wit’sEnd and Back Bay Custums that I will post up on “On What did you do with your rig this weekend” soon. We are out playing East of the Sierras.

cheers

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Nice Cruiser. I absolutely love mine. I don't even want to know how much I have invested in time and money.
You doing the whole vehicle?
I did my M-100 in Raptor and my lower body lines and sliders in Monsta Liner.
The trailer was sprayed, the cruiser was rolled with course roller and the sliders were a fine roller. I preferred the spray or fine roller texture. I'm building a new trailer and it will be sprayed Raptor.
I made a mistake when I did the Raptor, I didn't sand it with a low enough grit. No finer than 200 grit. If you don't, over time it will chip. I got that from Raptor. That's what I get for watching a U-Tube video on prep and spray.

If your de-flairing, be happy its not an LX. It took us forever to weld all the door holes in my buddy's from all the body cladding.

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Doing the whole vehicle roof to rockers. All prepped with 120. I had a ton of clear coat peeling so prep has actually been a bit of a pain. A lot of areas I had to go deeper that you would if your paint wasn’t crap. Also found a bit of filler I never knew about on the passenger side. All of this will be sprayed on. I have done a ton of Raptor research. You can find a bit of conflicting info o different peoples DIY efforts. Like anything, the quality of the result is all in the prep. I am hoping to spray the body today but after a washing last night I found several areas that need a bit more blending. I also have a lot of ares that are down to bare metal and need to be hit with a primer.

One thing I am hoping will help long term is that I am using all Upol product. Their primer, their wipe cleaner and their adhesion promoter on my plastics and powder coated parts. We will see.

William C aka “The Claw”

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Fork, Idaho, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
Clawson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6MKX
Service Branch
Volunteer Fire
I did my LX in July 2012 with Monstaliner to just above door handles. One of the hardest things I’ve done was take 100 grit to that beautiful paint. X2 on filling all the holes in the body of an LX. The Monsta liner has held up well. No more buffing custom pin stripping out:sunglasses:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Doing the whole vehicle roof to rockers. All prepped with 120. I had a tone of clear coat peeling so prep has actually been a bit of a pain. A lot of areas I had to go deeper that you would if your paint wasn’t crap. Also found a bit of filler I never knew about on the passenger side. All of this will be sprayed on. I have done a ton of Raptor research. You can find a bit of conflicting info o different peoples DIY efforts. Like anything, the quality of the result is all in the prep. I am hoping to spray the body today but after a washing last night I found several areas that need a bit more blending. I also have a lot of ares that are down to bare metal and need to be hit with a primer.

One thing I am hoping will help long term is that I am using all Upol product. Their primer, their wipe cleaner and their adhesion promoter on my plastics and powder coated parts. We will see.
Cool. Im sure it will look great. I only have one spot with the clear lifting and its on my hood. Unfortunately its just outside the body line. I need to be a bit creative when I do the center of my hood.
Too bad your up state, I would love to see it when its done.

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Well, one fix led to another. Also decided to fill all of the fender flare holes. Tomorrow, it gets shot with liner. The rear bumper is installed in a manner that we will say is... unremovable. So that means I am spraying around it and then spraying the bumper while it is on. We will see how it goes.
8E06F086-E4B3-46D4-B02F-EE901A5EAFD4.jpeg
D8091D68-EC9A-4ED0-BF95-83B86E516BF0.jpeg

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Knowing that nothing happens on its own I arrived at the shop early Monday to get crackin’. I quickly found out a few things. First, I am not all that great at estimating how long tape work takes. As they say, the end product is all about the prep so I wanted to get this right. Second, some things are easier with another set of hands. So I called in the best help I have, my wife. She is more patient than I and is all around better at detail work.
EB8B4A7A-6B33-49BD-B709-7BB4BA0A7E47.jpeg
A0F4DE5C-E726-45FF-8557-4EA49C5FF6A0.jpeg
C10B604D-606D-4D2C-8D00-A9787DB5480F.jpeg

Reactions: Mikeblack

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Next on deck was making sure I had everything I needed to get this done in one shot.
EA1699E5-E32C-4D45-921A-E2B47DC6669C.jpeg
Amounts required from all of the experts on the interwebs varied wildly from 6-12 bottles. I figured I’d buy the 12 and figure it out later. The black four bottle kit on the right is for the bumpers and whatnot later. I also used Upol prep product as shown on the left as well.

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
The spray gun they give you in the kit is pretty dang basic. There are upgraded ones you can buy but I chose not to. 59E4AF5B-99A3-4306-8D24-BBC1006A354B.jpeg
I did however decide that it needed a regulator at the gun to easily adjust line pressure.Twenty bucks and a trip to Lowe’s later and I was in business.
BD516EC8-4968-49C4-8E42-17CA8B034AE8.jpeg

Reactions: smritte

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Hydration! It was 97 outside. Not sure what the temp was in the shop. I kept it closed until 4:00 when I started spraying. I drank ALOT of fluids yesterday! Mostly water but did have this guy. Work beverages are not near as exciting since I quit drinking a few years ago.
17418670-6F05-4367-ACFE-65AFD4E7D06E.jpeg

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
I imagine it is hard to take pictures of yourself while you spray this stuff. I didn’t try. I did however take a few mid process shots. 70BA06ED-C76E-44CF-8981-FA60710DAD5C.jpeg
5A0A6B2C-5D10-4CC0-AA03-467568159539.jpeg
6561E06F-656D-49A0-9161-E3C8545DA3C1.jpeg
It is pretty amazing how forgiving this stuff is to work with. You can build new texture over old texture and change it. Blending blemishes is fairly easy. A bit to heavy and you can clean it up pretty easy on the next pass.

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
There is no real definitive information I could find on when you should pull tape and masking. I just waited about the same time I had been waiting between coats and had at it. Everything came off pretty easy.
78772064-4E68-4C25-9819-C6DA5D331574.jpegA1BF538C-0717-4DFD-8A75-403428B14CAA.jpegF01FC1FF-EA6A-47CF-8E5D-307F8E4FFDCC.jpeg605A63E5-5A7C-45D0-8F10-677D15F10A2C.jpeg507A9FB6-F876-4517-B0A4-2ABFE844503C.jpeg

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
In the end I ended up using 9 bottles. The 3 I have left is more than enough to do all of the jams if I get bored one day as well as the inside rear tailgate plus have a two bottles left for touch up/respray if needed. Who knows, perhaps I’ll have some other project to spray. Could always buy different tint and have a different color. A1A943E9-7DEE-4DD9-ABE1-C9A98F53BBB4.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Boort and Mikeblack

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Next up... bumpers and sliders in black. I am going to try and shoot a smoother texture on them.

Last edited: