Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Hi folks, relatively new here and waiting for my membership number so can't access the map as yet.
Just thought I'd start a thread to see how many UK members there are here and what sort of trucks etc. people drive.

Reactions: Robert OB 33/48

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

hi @nickburt. I am UK based. Couple of miles from Alton Towers in the north midlands area. Disco 3 and 4, although the 3 is what I normally drive off road. Group of us go out a few times a year if you fancy tagging along. Last time we did north yorks moors for a weekend and it was brilliant. welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Robert OB 33/48

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

Just signed up, based in London. Have a little Cherokee XJ that I have been building slowly for a few years now. Taken it across UK most of Western Europe & North Africa. Getting it ready over the winter for a lot more next year hoping to go across Eastern Europe as well as a trip down the West Coast of Africa.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Hey guys,

Also in UK, over in North Norfolk :)

I've noticed on the map there are a few, not many but atleast its a nice to see others around :p
Perhaps see if people can see each other at LRO or AO next year

Kev

Reactions: Disco_Berty

crocuk

Rank 0

Contributor I

g'day folks,just signed up.I am based in Lincolnshire and have a 1984 landrover 90 with a dropside rear body and a modified ifor Williams canopy that I use for trips,work,daily drive.Have had it for 20 years and been on a few overseas forays-Pyrenees,Belgium national several times(theres an event that I really miss),Val D'isere 4x4 show(another good event sadly lost) 3 trips to Iceland,a north to south 'off road' trip through Portugal this summer gone and loads of greenlaning all over England and wales.would be good to meet up with some like minded folks.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Hopefully this chat will get more popular as more OB members come on in UK ;) lol
As I mentioned earlier, there are a few outdoorsy events through the year which I'm sure if we all coordinate can meet up, E.g Adventure Overland Show at Stratford upon Avon and LRO Peterborough ;)

Kevin
OB:# 2923
Committee Admin - Norfolk Overland Explorers
Norfolk, UK

Land Rover Discovery 1 300tdi Aviemore Edition
Radio Callsign: M6EMT / 2E0LSR
Personal FB Blog: Hebridean Overlander
Twitter: Heb_Overlander

Mobile / OB Talk App

mechman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Redcar - North East England
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Millar
Member #

Hi Guys. I'm Rob, a new member from Cleveland on the coast near Redcar
I drive this Disco 2 you can see in my avatar. I have some big plans for the Disco in terms of kiting her out. We have a trip to Morocco planned for late next year and we are also looking at a trip around the Wilderness Trail in the Arctic Circle too. Just new to the club scene around here but have been out over the lakes, north york moors and the dales. All on my doorstep :)
Looking forward to chatting with us local members and maybe a meet up at some point.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Hi Rob welcome. Nice area around there getting out onto the moors.
I used to live in Redcar and family all out from Whitby way.
Have fun on here and the more you get involved the more you will get out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: mechman

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

I did as well, @Corrie is looking into it and will be asking USPS what's going on, in mean time if you speak to him he can help

Kevin
OB:# 2923
Committee Admin - Norfolk Overland Explorers
Norfolk, UK

Land Rover Discovery 1 300tdi Aviemore Edition
Radio Callsign: M6EMT / 2E0LSR
Personal FB Blog: Hebridean Overlander
Twitter: Heb_Overlander

Mobile / OB Talk App

mechman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Redcar - North East England
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Millar
Member #

seems a lot for the emblems, a t-shirt and a windscreen sticker. I googled it and most people are just saying pay the damn thing. Seems that £8 is royal Mail hijacking costs. I think maybe I am paying VAT on the membership costs. Will know more when i get the parcel as it should have a breakdown of the contents and costs.

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

Pretty standard, the VAT / Duty will be minimal the majority will be clearance admin charge

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

anyone else get shafted by customs for their membership parcel? they are asking me for £23!! wtf?
Yep that happened to me as well. I kept meaning to email corrie and Mike to let them know that the customs charge was being hiked, something like 8 or 12 pounds being added by customs to handle the charge which is passed on to royal mail. Then I think royal mail added more on top.

I think it happened because the value of the badge was over 25 pounds. It would not have been before brexit as the pound to USD was not too bad, but afterwards it took a hammering and so the 25 pounds limit was breached. this is where the customs charge kicks in and all the added charges. Not sure if Corrie and Mike can do anything about it at all, but who knows.